~declare variables that are used to communicate with our caller
    var moneyvalue as number
    var money as string

~invoke the MoneyBare procedure to format the value
    call MoneyBare

~prepend a "$" on the value
    money = "$" & money
    ]]></procedure>
And the places which call it. Here, the "$" is hard coded. I would like to have this available somewhere as an input variable to this procedure. Perhaps as a setting adjustment as a field? I it would also be exceptional if there could be another field for currency image as well.

if currency image, use that
if currency sign supplied by setting, use that
else, use "$" as the fallback.
jfrazierjr is offline   #161 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 17th, 2017, 01:05 PM
"Did you happen to have any luck with the whole player choose their free skill at d6 type thing?"

This is one I don't really understand. Why not just give them the extra build points and let them choose an extra Skill? And, no, as far as I know this is NOT semi-common. A specific Skill or list of a couple of Skills, yes, but not *any* Skill at d6. What's the point? What Setting/Race does that? And like I said, just use a free Edge with a menu to identify which Skill they chose.

There's only so much we can do for edge cases.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #162 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old May 17th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I'll see what I can do about the currency symbol next time.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #163 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old May 17th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
"Did you happen to have any luck with the whole player choose their free skill at d6 type thing?"

This is one I don't really understand. Why not just give them the extra build points and let them choose an extra Skill? And, no, as far as I know this is NOT semi-common. A specific Skill or list of a couple of Skills, yes, but not *any* Skill at d6. What's the point? What Setting/Race does that? And like I said, just use a free Edge with a menu to identify which Skill they chose.

There's only so much we can do for edge cases.
As an example, the Synths in Broken Earth do that; they're basically neutral Terminators (cyborgs with a metal endoskeleton and computer brain) and it represents their core programming.

I did end up just giving the skill points, but as I noted there's one degenerate condition where it doesn't work right: if someone decides to build a character at the start with all D4 skills to get the most bang for the buck out of the difference between the yield of advances and initial skill points in buying new skills. I can't imagine someone doing that is common, but its there.
Paragon is offline   #164 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:04 PM
It would be relatively easy to set up a validation to check and ensure they have at least one Skill at d6...

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #165 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Thanks CC. I duplicated the system to get the stripped down version, but unfortunately, it was not quite stripped down enough to be minus the money formatting thing, so I assume I would have no way to override something built into the compiled .hlz file such as the procedures(right???). I am a bit more dubious if an image could be utilized(would likely have to be best practice to make it a specific size such as 50x50 or whatever.), but if that could be made to work, so much the better!(I am not holding my breath for this last part, but will be pleasantly surprised if you manage it). I could probably even knock up a simple sample png or bmp of a gold coin if you want to even take a stab at that part of the feature request.
jfrazierjr is offline   #166 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old July 24th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Ok, I am old and have some memory issues. I looked, but could not find what I THOUGHT I saw around a month ago where you mentioned having changed the procedure to let setting file authors override the "$" currency symbol with their own.

Did I just imagine reading that on the forums or am I just having issues finding it? If the latter, is that in the current release from a few days ago or in an upcoming release? If current, how exactly do I edit this(I checked the settings tab), would I need to do this via a script to edit a variable or updating a field on the editor somewhere?

<--- confused
jfrazierjr is offline   #167 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old July 24th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Well, the hero field is called acCshSymbl.
The tag is Hero.CashBackwd.
I don't have the test scripts that I wrote to test it handy, but simply assign a new text value to herofield[acCshSymbl].text and you're good to go. If you want to move the symbol to after the number, add the tag. The timing isn't really an issue, PreTraits/5000 seems to work fine. If you were playing a fantasy game where it was all based in gold pieces, you might do it like so:

Code:
      herofield[acCshSymbl].text = " gp"
      perform hero.assign[Hero.CashBackwd]

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #168 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old July 25th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Well, the hero field is called acCshSymbl.
The tag is Hero.CashBackwd.
I don't have the test scripts that I wrote to test it handy, but simply assign a new text value to herofield[acCshSymbl].text and you're good to go. If you want to move the symbol to after the number, add the tag. The timing isn't really an issue, PreTraits/5000 seems to work fine. If you were playing a fantasy game where it was all based in gold pieces, you might do it like so:

Code:
      herofield[acCshSymbl].text = " gp"
      perform hero.assign[Hero.CashBackwd]

Ok.. thanks.. I was concerned that I dreamed up that whole thing. I assume this is in the current release? Would I put this on a setting eval script?

EDIT: yep, was just able to test it and this worked a treat. Thanks!

Last edited by jfrazierjr; July 25th, 2017 at 04:58 AM.
jfrazierjr is offline   #169 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old September 22nd, 2017, 06:32 AM
Quote:
I was able to add some new buttons to the Editor... You'll still have to add tags and such for Skilldie on Skills and any additional info on each bootstrap, but this'll make it easier to add multiple Racial Properties, Racial Abilities, Edges, Hindrances and Skills to Race, plus some other goodies. I added some of these same buttons to a few other places. (Creatures, Factions, and Groups)
Ok, so how much work would it be to add something akin to Racial Powers as a valid field on the Race object and and a NON AB related PP field also on the Race object(defaults to zero/empty) as well as only visible on the "abilities" or "basic" section of the character IF that field has a non zero value, perhaps linked to the one or more racial powers?

Specifically, I am trying to implement(Page 4 from the Fantasy Companion, bottom of "+2 Abilities"):

Quote:
Use of a single racial Power (the character has 5 Power Points usable solely for this Power that recharge at the rate of 1 per hour and are unaffected by Rapid Recharge; Power Points from other sources cannot be used with this power; psionic-type powers use Smarts, physical ones use Vigor as the arcane skill)
In the most nature way for end users. I don't really so much care about how much work it is for me(with in reason) editing the datafiles/editor only that the character builder AND pdf/output sheets can provide correct and useful information. I am trying really hard to AVOID cloning the game system for my customization, but there are various other reasons I might end up doing that anyway(but still, trying to avoid doing that).

My issue with adding this into a racial ability is quite simply the limitation on how those things get formatted, one of which is the VERY short description(Summary Text) with no wrapping and the pdf output sheet.
jfrazierjr is offline   #170 Reply With Quote