Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Draneceus

Old November 21st, 2014, 03:57 PM
Hi! I've been using AB for over 14 years now, and I've been thinking about contributing to the community with learning AB authoring and creating files for a new game that just came out.

I do have concerns though with distributing the files, as the company that made the game has a history of being a bit sue-happy in the past on some issues, and they are brand new to miniature gaming. I do understand that they would have no leg to stand on, but I still don't have the time or money to defend myself from a frivolous lawsuit if they did attempt to sue.

I was curious about Authors' experiences in the past with gaming companies and Lone Wolf's policy on hosting datafiles. If there are previous posts or FAQs I should look at, my apologies on missing them, and I'd appreciate if someone would point to me a link.

Thanks in advance!
Draneceus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Harkan_again

Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM
LW won't host datafiles as this leaves them open for action against them so you would need a hosting site (dropbox or ISP provider supplied webspace) - you'll need to liaise with LW to ask them to set you up in the download mechanism so that when you publish files they are announced and available within AB

The best people to ask would the be AB40k team - I am extremely lucky with the files I work on as Warlord are extremely supportive (why wouldn't you want free publicity for your games!) - if you take the approach the AB40k team have in how they list rules (page and book references etc) and disclaimers and so forth then you should be alright.

The other option (which will be a bit of work in the start) is to build the file with the above and do a pdf export of a list, then add in some more rules details and do another pdf export and then another one with a lot of rules info and do a pdf export and then send them all to the company saying you are willing to do all this to publicise their game system and to make it more available and tell them how this can help their sales etc etc as people can build lists quickly and their company name will be all over it etc etc and which approach would they prefer the best - the one potential draw back of this is they will say no don't do it period

Hope that helps!

My own Warlord Games gallery and the home of the Warlord Games datafiles:

http://www.facebook.com/ABDataFileWarlordGames
Harkan_again is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Draneceus

Old November 24th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I really appreciate the response. I'll give it some thought.
Draneceus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote