Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Barrels23

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Alright, progress is being made on fully fleshing out the Blood Hunter class. My big road block right now is fine tuning the spellcasting for the Order of the Profane Soul.

At the moment, I've got it so the subclass has the spell's showing up in Hero Lab. I just can't figure out how to get the correct number of spell slots, or how to get them to level properly.

From what I've seen on other forum posts and the help page, getting a Warlock-like caster correct is a bit of a challenge. Here are the eval-scripts I have on the "Order of the Profane Soul" custom ability (pretty much taken straight from the warlock class):

First-10,000____________________________________________ _______
perform linkage[table].setfocus

doneif (state.isfocus = 0)

~ Spellcasting attribute
perform focus.setlinkage[castattr,BaseAttr,"IsAttr.aWIS"]

~ Spellcasting type
perform focus.assign[CasterType.SpontKnow]
perform focus.assign[CasterSrc.Arcane]
perform focus.assign[Helper.WarlocCast]
perform focus.assign[sClass.cHelpWlk]

~ Cantrip Array
focus.field[cArrKnCan].arrayvalue[2] += 2
focus.field[cArrKnCan].arrayvalue[9] += 3

~ Spells Known Array
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[2] += 2
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[4] += 3
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[7] += 4
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[8] += 5
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[10] += 6
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[12] += 7
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[14] += 8
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[16] += 9
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[18] += 10
focus.field[cArrKnSpl].arrayvalue[19] += 11

~ Max Spell Levels Array
focus.field[cArrKnLev].arrayvalue[2] += 1
focus.field[cArrKnLev].arrayvalue[6] += 2
focus.field[cArrKnLev].arrayvalue[10] += 3
focus.field[cArrKnLev].arrayvalue[16] += 4
__________________________________________________ ___________

Post-levels- 15000 ______________________________________________
var castlev as number
castlev = field[cTotalLev].value
call WarlocCast
__________________________________________________ ___________

Any insight/help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Barrels23 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 16th, 2018, 12:13 PM
On the second script, the procedure WarlocCast was written with only the warlock in mind, so you'll have to rewrite it.

You can go to the *Procedure tab and copy WarlocCast - name it ProfOrCast or something and modify the lines that refer to the levels.

The first set should read like this after you're done.

if (castlev >= 14) then
numslots += 3
elseif (castlev >= 5) then
numslots += 2
else
numslots += 1
endif

After you change those lines, and save the procedure you should be able to modify your second script by replacing:

call WarlocCast

with

call ProfOrCast
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 17th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I should correct myself - when you write your own procedure you should probably include your ID in the name somewhere to make it different from anything LW may write.

A lot of the Community procedures start with 5C or p5C to show that they are community property.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Barrels23

Old February 17th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

So I went with 5CBldCast. I added the procedure and updated the Eval Script, as well as adding a Tag. But now it's saying the tag "5CBldCast is not defined."
Barrels23 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 17th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Do you mean you're trying to make a Helper.5CBldCast tag? You can't add to LW tag sets.

Besides, the caster uses the Warlock casting mechanisms even if you did have to sub out one procedure.

I copied the scripts below into a test subclass for the fighter class and they worked fine after a few tweaks.

I had to
1. Make sure to bootstrap SlotHoldWa to the subclass
2. Instead of cTotalLev I had to sub in
castlev = herofield[tMaxCaster].value
because the fighter class wasn't accepting cTotalLev
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Barrels23

Old February 17th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Ah, the joys of coding (and sort of coding).

So I did everything you recommended. The Spell tab is showing stuff, but it's still not showing the right number of spell slots or spell slot level. I've uploaded a photo of what it's showing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (6).png (131.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Barrels23; February 17th, 2018 at 07:29 PM.
Barrels23 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 18th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Joys of debugging.

Where castlev gets set, try to set it to set it manually as a test.

castlev = 6

if the slots information changes, then you know the call to get a value to castlev isn't getting a valid number. Then you have to figure out where it goes wrong or try to calculate the castlev in a different way.

You can also do this by opening up the show hero fields window and looking for the fields that should be changing.
dungeonguru is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Barrels23

Old February 18th, 2018, 09:48 AM
That is exactly where the problem was. Rather ran replacing all of field[cTotalLev].value with herofield[tMaxCaster].value, I had been just replacing [cTotalLev] with [tMaxCaster].

Everything is working great now. All that's left is some polishing and then Blood Hunter will be 100% done and I can move on to adding some more Mercer homebrew content.

Thanks for all the help dungeonguru! I'm guessing I should keep/submit Mercer's stuff from DM's Guild as a separate save file from his Tal'dorei Campaign Guide material since they're from different publishers, right? Last I saw the community pack wasn't sure if Green Ronin would be okay with letting us add their stuff.
Barrels23 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 18th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Keeping DMsguild.com separate from Green Ronin material makes sense.

I can't speak on the legality of adding either of those sources to the community - the general rule has been that if a licensing agreement in in place, the community authors don't compete with LW revenue stream.

I've not seen Green Ronin 5e products, but they have Mutants and Masterminds and some Pathfinder stuff.

I don't know how to approach dmsguild. The IP rules state that ownership belongs to the author, but WotC owns anything referenced from their core products.

This is where someone like daplunk or shadowchemosh should probably chime in for guidelines on what might need to be done before thinking about sharing with the community officially.
dungeonguru is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Barrels23

Old February 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

If you're still willing to help, I was hoping to add a little more functionality to the Mutant subclass' mutagens. There are a couple that boost ability scores, like this one.

Quote:
Celerity
Your Dexterity score increases by an amount equal to your mutation score, as does your Dexterity maximum.
{i}Side Effect:{/i} Your Wisdom score decreases by an amount equal to your mutation score.
The mutation score is your Blood hunter level divided by four, rounded up.
I used the barbarian's Primal Champion ability to get the left side of the script to where it will add (and subtract) values, but I can't figure out how to input the mutation score. I'm thinking it's some variation of this line from the help page:

Quote:
round(field[xAllLev].value/2, 0, -1)
Thanks!
Barrels23 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote