Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Agyess

Old June 24th, 2015, 02:35 AM
is there a way to force rw to open to the realms main page... I tried to view a hero lab portfolio and it crashed RW now when i open RW it tries to open that same view and just crashes.
Agyess is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old June 24th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Did you try to open another realm and then go back to your first realm ?

Could be worth a try.
Bobifle is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Not that I know of; open tabs are stored per-realm in your local database (I believe), so the only way to reset one is to either go to an older backup or download that realm again (if you have cloud service).

First, though, make sure you file a bug report and make a copy of your current master.realm file in case they want to see it.

Then try deleting the local data of your realm from the Tools page of the Launcher and downloading it again or restoring a backup from before this happened. (Realm Works keeps copies of your database from the last ten launches in your My Documents folder.)

Code:
Command to open your Master Database folder:

explorer "%APPDATA%\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works"

Command to open your DB Backups folder:

explorer "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Realm Works\Backups"

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old June 24th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Not that I know of; open tabs are stored per-realm in your local database (I believe), so the only way to reset one is to either go to an older backup or download that realm again (if you have cloud service).

First, though, make sure you file a bug report and make a copy of your current master.realm file in case they want to see it.

Then try deleting the local data of your realm from the Tools page of the Launcher and downloading it again or restoring a backup from before this happened. (Realm Works keeps copies of your database from the last ten launches in your My Documents folder.)

Code:
Command to open your Master Database folder:

explorer "%APPDATA%\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works"

Command to open your DB Backups folder:

explorer "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Realm Works\Backups"
Actually, when I had a similar issue, it was the preferences file that had those settings.

So I was able to "clear" that by deleting the "preferences.xml" file from the same folder Parody mentioned above for the Master Database.

**HOWEVER** If you have multiple realms, this will re-set all of the preferences... and I am not sure what else has grown into there since the last time I had to do this. I am pretty sure all of the "Do not show this window again" selections are in there... but it could be a lot more.

My main point is, I don't think this is stored in the database, and deleting and re-syncing the database probably will not fix it if that is the case.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
preferences.xml was the file I looked at first, but it doesn't list the open tabs for any realm so I didn't try renaming it. It looks like resetting the open tabs is a side effect of resetting that preference file. Weird.

Further Investigation: In the preferences file there's a list of entries per-realm that look like:
Code:
<pref name="Realm_12345">
  <value>True</value>
</pref>
which controls whether the tabs are reloaded from the list stored elsewhere (and probably other things as well).

Last edited by Parody; June 24th, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 24th, 2015, 11:55 AM
@Silveras is correct. The open tabs and lots of other details like tab history, "don't show again" settings, and the like are all stored in the preferences.xml file. If you delete that file, you can get unstuck from a messed up HL portfolio.

We also need you to send us that portfolio via a bug report so we can figure out what RW is choking on.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 24th, 2015, 12:35 PM
FWIW: I made a copy of preferences.xml, opened the last opened realm, and messed with the open tabs (closed a couple, opened a new one, etc.) Upon closing Realm Works, the preferences.xml files were identical. (As was everything else in the Roaming\LWD\Realm Works folder except for master.realm.)

The only per-realm setting in preferences.xml is that single "True".

(Upon further poking around with Beyond Compare, I found what appears to be the changed list of open tabs in master.realm.)

Anyway, I'll drop this as the workaround is easy enough and it doesn't really matter where everything is stored. My apologies for missing that changing preferences.xml affects these as well.

Last edited by Parody; June 24th, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old June 24th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks all. I got back in and experienced the same issue with a different hero lab file, one that I know I have viewed in the past (as apposed to the first one that was brand new). Thanks again for getting me back in.
Agyess is offline   #8 Reply With Quote