Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Turan

Old June 13th, 2015, 04:46 PM
If there's someplace to find this information that I missed, please feel free to direct me there and not waste time on typing replies.

That being said, I've been using Realm Works since release for my FFG Star Wars game, and it's as wonderful as I hoped. I'm in the starting stages of a Dresden Files game that I'm intending to play online over roll20 and I'm trying to determine whether getting my players Realm Works will be a worthwhile endeavor.

I do think having access to the organized information about characters, places and relationships could be a valuable thing. For that to work, is it automatic when I give them a token of some sort and sync my realm? Do I need to purchase cloud service? Basically, I'm trying to figure out exactly what current functionalities of the Player Edition are and what is required for them to work.
Turan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old June 14th, 2015, 06:39 AM
You need cloud service, and after you add new information or reveal new information you need to sync, and then they need to sync and then they can see the info.

Web access for players to your realm will be available "soon" and that might be something you want to check out too.
MaxSupernova is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 14th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks - Right after I wrote the post, I found the F.A.Q. that explained I would need cloud service (although I couldn't easily see how to buy it; is it $25 from now until six months after the content marketplace launches?).

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether that plus the cost of the software would be a worthwhile investment for my online game.
Turan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old June 14th, 2015, 08:39 AM
If you bought the software, you have cloud service right now. That's what's used to "sync" your realms.

Here's a link about cloud service: http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/2...cloud-service/

Basically it says you get the cloud service for free until sometime after the content market launches so you can see what the market is all about.

Some point after that they will announce that the clock is ticking and renewals will have to happen.
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I didn't realize people who didn't pledge for a level with cloud were getting it anyway. I suppose this is what I get for figuring reading the updates wouldn't apply to me :P
Turan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2015, 01:58 PM
@Turan, what backer level did you back at? Kickstarter backers at the Pack Member level do not receive cloud service. In December 2013 we allowed Pack Members to upgrade to the "Pack Hunter" level for the opportunity to receive cloud service.

When Player Edition released, we announced in our Kickstarter Update that we're planning on implementing a feature that will allow Pack Members to upgrade the cloud service. While we don’t have an ETA for when this option will be available, it is tied to the Content Market and we’ll share updates through Kickstarter as we have them!
liz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Aha! So the actual answer is that I cannot currently use Realm Works with my players. I'm glad I'm not going insane when I didn't remember seeing anything about cloud being given to everyone.
Turan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turan View Post
Aha! So the actual answer is that I cannot currently use Realm Works with my players. I'm glad I'm not going insane when I didn't remember seeing anything about cloud being given to everyone.
Not exactly, while player use is extremely limited (due to lack of web based access, Character reveal, etc) Your players can access what you reveal via a sync of their Players addition RW AFTER you have invited them and excepted.

This process can be done on the DM (GM for the newb's) version of RW under the Messages tab by setting up an invite and defining what "Realm" you wish to share with that player.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 16th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Except for those who pledged for the cheaper version of Realm Works without cloud. (That's what Liz just said: they don't get the free 6 months retail purchasers get, and they can't add it until the Content Market is working.)

Apparently Turan is one of those who didn't pledge for cloud service. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Turan.)

Last edited by Parody; June 16th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Turan

Old June 16th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Yes - sorry if I'm being unclear, but I thought my initial post stated pretty straightforwardly that I do not have cloud service.

I've had Max tell me since that I actually do have cloud service (which was not my understanding based on the Kickstarter campaign), and Galen's last was telling me that I can do things without having cloud (which is not my understanding based on the F.A.Q.)...so all that seems to be more confusing than my initial question :P

So my current understanding, based on the F.A.Q. and what Liz said, is that I currently cannot have any functionality with the Player Edition of Realm Works because that requires cloud service which I do not have and cannot currently get if I wanted to. And that's fine, I just wanted to clearly understand my options (which are none ).
Turan is offline   #10 Reply With Quote