Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Zane_Marlowe

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Just curious, is there a way to set which topics are organized under the top-level groups in the Story and World almanacs? So, currently when I click on a new topic in "People," I've got the option of creating a new Individual or a new Entity topic.

Can I assign other categories to the "People" (or other) top-level almanac groups? How would I do that?
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
All the way up at the top there's 'Home/Manage/Help'. Go to manage, then select Categories. This is where you edit your Almanac Topic and Mechanics Article Categories. You can add new ones if you want, but keep in mind that shared material may not have the same categories as you, so they recommend that you tweak the ones there unless you really fee the need to make big changes.
Viral Platypus is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Oh, Also, you can set the sorting to put things under their 'container' So, if you have a guy 'contained' in his shop, he will show up as a sub-item under the shop rather than an individual under people. It's 'Show Containing Topic Heirarchy' in the Almanac Options.
Viral Platypus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Wouldn't you want the guy to show up in both places? I didn't notice that is what is happening. Why would you make it work like that?
Bidmaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old April 29th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Wouldn't you want the guy to show up in both places? I didn't notice that is what is happening. Why would you make it work like that?
I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe it has to do with how the database is set up. Being able to have things contained in multiple topics is very high on my wish list though. I realize I can use the relationships to detail multiple connections, but in practice its much easier to just look over at the almanac tree and select things from there.
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Because sometimes it makes sense in your personal form of organizing your campaign for an item to belong in a container. That's when you'd use a Containing Topic. There's always Relationships to show a relationship without being in a container.

I like it for places: shops are in their cities which are in their nation on their continent. I've also been using it for mechanics like skill specializations under their default skill. I haven't used it much for people, but I think I would if I wanted to, say, have a placeholder person for the name and basic description of a shopkeeper who isn't that important otherwise. I don't know for sure, since I don't have a lot of people detailed anywhere yet. :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parody; April 29th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zane_Marlowe

Old April 29th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Super helpful so far about organizing articles under their containing topics. Is there a way to add or change the groups under which these are all organized? I.e., currently it's, People, Groups, Places, Things, Events, and Other. Can these be added to or changed?
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 29th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Not currently, no. Under Manage/Preferences you can change the view to show all of the categories with or without the "Simple Grouping"/"Family" but the Simple Groupings and Families are fixed.

Added: You can hide empty groups in the Navigation Pane Options (F6) menu.

Last edited by Parody; April 29th, 2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: It's the only Preference!
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Zane_Marlowe

Old April 29th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Great stuff, thanks again!
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old June 9th, 2022, 05:35 AM
Is it possible to create new Simple Groups, and to hide current ones?

For example, in the Mechanics Reference I'd like to hide the Simple Group "Abilities" and create a new one called "Powers." Is this something a user can do? If so, how would I go about it?

Thanks!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #10 Reply With Quote