Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

gnomatsu

Old February 25th, 2020, 10:19 AM
This sucks and was not what i was expecting.

I thought demo accounts would be able to access my campaigns and content much like Dnd beyond which is a proven model.

Instead my players have to pay five bucks a quarter. I know its small but theres always one who won't pay, and its creates an obstacle to play or me enforcing herolab usage.

Why can we have a level higher than patron where I can pay more to allow demo players in my campaign.

If we don't get this, I'm out I'm afraid.
gnomatsu is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Copied from my reply here: 2020-02-25 Update: Build CB54D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatsu View Post
Why can we have a level higher than patron where I can pay more to allow demo players in my campaign.
We have discussed doing something like this internally, and may very well end up going that direction, although we have not determined a timeline yet. Keep an eye out for announcements on the topic in the future.

Please keep in mind that we are a small team and need to roll things out in stages. Going from no group licensing at all to the Patron/Apprentice model represents a massive improvement for a large number of people, and it was a lot of work on its own. Now that we've put this out as a foundation, we can begin to refine it to cover additional cases.
Joe is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old February 25th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Why can['t] we have a level higher than patron where I can pay more to allow demo players in my campaign.
I mean, there's nothing stopping you from buying accounts for other people. Just create some Apprentice accounts at 5 bucks each and hand out the logins to your players if you want.
dacoobob is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old February 25th, 2020, 10:59 AM
also, players with Demo accounts can join your HLO Campaign already. they just won't be able to share all your extra purchased content unless they have at least an Apprentice account.

Last edited by dacoobob; February 25th, 2020 at 11:03 AM.
dacoobob is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
gnomatsu

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:13 AM
Thanks Joe, I didn't mean to diminish the effort, I know what hard work software delivery can be.

Dacobob there is something stopping me making a bunch of apprentice account s and handing them out. It's a pain in arse making multiple payments on separate accounts not to mention security issues.

All I wanted was a product I can pay for and my players can use.

To be fair this was my expectation not something Herolab ever promised.

However this model works really well for DnD beyond. I couldn't get any of my players to fork out up front for that, but after using it for a while for free in my campaign, most of them paid out so they could experiment with building chars outside of the campaign.

I'm afraid with current model players will not bother trying it out because of up front cost, you give players something for free and then they pay for a bigger hit just like drug dealers do ��

The current demo account can't let you use it for real in a campaign, which is where it shines, and where people will be drawn in.
gnomatsu is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
sparky77

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:16 AM
I think the announced model is progress, and I’m not ungrateful. I think the patron licence option is pretty good for groups of players who campaign.
We however are a gaming couple doing organised play, and though the patron licence will let us share bought resources, it will cost $65... more than twice the standard licence subscription. Whilst I understand sharing resources must cost more than a single licence, this seems like a big hike in price when we’ll get no additional benefit from it.
It would be good for this kind of position to be considered in any future licensing modifications.
sparky77 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
gnomatsu

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
also, players with Demo accounts can join your HLO Campaign already. they just won't be able to share all your extra purchased content unless they have at least an Apprentice account.
Buts that's half the purpose. If eople can't access the loot I'm handing out because they haven't got the module it's from then everything breaks.

All I'm asking is to let me pay from my account. It's a model that works well on DND beyond and in my anecdotal experience draws in more custom as initially free players get sucked in and pay after they see how great it is
gnomatsu is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Dacobob there is something stopping me making a bunch of apprentice account s and handing them out. It's a pain in arse making multiple payments on separate accounts not to mention security issues.

All I wanted was a product I can pay for and my players can use.
FWIW, there IS a plan for giving you exactly this. Since it builds on all the stuff we just released today, it's not in place yet. If all goes well, you'll be able to take advantage of it soon. But we're not announcing anything yet or making any promises, as that repeatedly got us into trouble in the past. There are some other pieces that need to be completed first, but my goal is to give GMs exactly what you're asking for here. So please stay tuned in the weeks ahead...
rob is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
gnomatsu

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:31 AM
Super, thanks Rob, and thanks again for the product, it's fantastic!
gnomatsu is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky77 View Post
We however are a gaming couple doing organised play, and though the patron licence will let us share bought resources, it will cost $65... more than twice the standard licence subscription. Whilst I understand sharing resources must cost more than a single licence, this seems like a big hike in price when we’ll get no additional benefit from it.
It would be good for this kind of position to be considered in any future licensing modifications.
A solution for this is part of the bigger plan that I just mentioned above. We can't do it all at once, but we've now got the most complicated pieces into place, so the foundation is all there for us to build on.
rob is offline   #40 Reply With Quote