Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM
When adding a unit from an option using the 'new squad' setting on the option is there wany way to suppress the confirmation message, either through script or within a setting in AB as it could be potentially time consuming and also annoying for users when adding a lot of units this way.

If it is not currently possible can I add it as a request for the next AB and ABC to have a user option to switch off confirmation messages as well as a way to block them through script

thanks
harkan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
At 08:00 AM 6/26/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
When adding a unit from an option using the 'new squad' setting on the option is there wany way to suppress the confirmation message, either through script or within a setting in AB as it could be potentially time consuming and also annoying for users when adding a lot of units this way.

If it is not currently possible can I add it as a request for the next AB and ABC to have a user option to switch off confirmation messages as well as a way to block them through script
Adding a completely new squad was always envisioned as something that should be done cautiously. It's a lot like deleting something, since it's outside the scope of the current unit. From your request, it sounds like you plan to add new squads regularly from within certain units, and that definitely raises the question of whether it's a good approach from a usability standpoint. What are you trying to accomplish? And what makes adding a new squad from within a unit the best solution? If I can understand this one better, I can hopefully grasp why this behavior needs to be changed.

Please note that Colen and I leave for Origins in a few days. So we are slammed right now. I'll do my best to reply before we leave, but I can't make any guarantees if it's going to take me a large chunk of time to analyze your explanation and formulate a useful reply.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
kk, explanation with a game mechanic, using the epic armageddon stuff.

Within an epic list there are detachments and support formations, detachments are the main game units and each detachmet can take up to two or three support formations race dependant.

Currently the detqachment and formations are viewed by ysing filters and are seperated in that manner. Some races have quite complicated rules for which detachments can take formations and the like, as an example, a catachan IG army air cavalry detachment can only take a veteran formation equpped with valkyries (posh helicopters!!), but the same formation can also be a support formation for other detachments, this time with or without valkyries.

Writing a rule(s) to cover the above has proven very difficult so I tried the route of using options on the air cav units that added veterans in valkyries as new units. By adopting this approach then it made things a lot lot simpler however with all the units (detachments) having different support formations then when a user added several detachments and then chose the support formations it became frustrating continually clicking 'yes' etc hence the above request.

I've gone back to the original approach now but a suggestion for options approach would be really useful - as a side note the support formations, although working with the detachment, are seperate on the battlefield so need to show seperatley on the roster
harkan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote