Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Basilforth

Send a message via Yahoo to Basilforth

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Okay, I built this Paladin with Hero Lab. I gave the critter a longsword and a heavy crossbow. The heavy crossbow shows a -5 attack modifier. I can't figure out why. Is it a weapon proficiency issue? Also, shouldn't the melee bonus be +3 for the longsword? Is it encumbrance? Table 7-5 on page 171 says that medium encumbrance gives -3 penalty. Does that affect melee?

If I go to the armor tab and deselect the shield (AC reduces to 16 as shown) and then go to the weapon tab and then deselect the longsword and select 1st and 2nd hand wielding of the crossbow, then the modifier decreases to -1.

What are the modifiers coming from?

BELSHAZZAR CR 1
Male Half-Elf Paladin 1
LG Medium Humanoid
Init +4; Perception +4
Languages Common, Elven
---------------------
AC 16, touch 10, flat-footed 16
(+6 armor)
hp 12 (1d10+2)
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +3
---------------------
Speed 20ft.
Melee weapon Unarmed Strike +3 (1d3+2) and
(S) Longsword +1 (1d6+2)
Ranged weapon (S) Crossbow, Heavy -5 (1d8)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Combat Gear Unarmed Strike, Gauntlet (from Armor), Crossbow, Heavy, Bolts, Crossbow, Longsword, Shield, Heavy Wooden, Chainmail
Paladin Spells Prepared (CL 1, +3 melee touch, +1 ranged touch):
---------------------
Abilities Str 15 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 11 Wis 13 Cha 15
Feats Skill Focus: Sense Motive, Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency - All, Martial Weapon Proficiency - All, Improved Initiative
Skills Acrobatics -5, Climb -3, Diplomacy +6, Escape Artist -5, Fly -5, Perception +4, Sense Motive +8, Stealth -5, Swim -3
Possessions combat gear plus Money, Artisan's Outfit (Free), Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Crowbar, Holy symbol, wooden, Oil (1-pint flask), Lantern, hooded, Waterskin
---------------------

Last edited by Basilforth; September 17th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Basilforth is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
pg 145, top of the right-hand column "However, you can shoot, but not load, a heavy crossbow with one hand at a -4 penalty on attack rolls."

It looks as though you added a size S (halfling sized) longsword and crossbow to your character. On the weapons tab, the bottom of the weapon list says "Click to add a new weapon of size Medium" - you may have switched that to small, or perhaps you started making a halfling/gnome then changed the race. There's a -2 penalty to hit for each size difference between you and the weapon you're wielding.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I ran the build and it's just as Mathias says.

Making the weapons Medium size results in the following:

Crossbow, Heavy
Mainhand -3 (because you have a shield equipped for +1 BAB -4 one-handed penalty = -3)
Both Hands +1

Longsword
Mainhand & Both Hands +3 (dmg goes up 1 point with both hands as you get 1.5x str modifier if used with both hands)

Hope this helps.
enrious is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Basilforth

Send a message via Yahoo to Basilforth

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrious View Post
I ran the build and it's just as Mathias says.

Making the weapons Medium size results in the following:

Crossbow, Heavy
Mainhand -3 (because you have a shield equipped for +1 BAB -4 one-handed penalty = -3)
Both Hands +1

Longsword
Mainhand & Both Hands +3 (dmg goes up 1 point with both hands as you get 1.5x str modifier if used with both hands)

Hope this helps.
It does. Thanks to both of you!!
Basilforth is offline   #4 Reply With Quote