Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
At 06:07 PM 3/17/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
This is going to be an even sticker issue when the RuneQuest files come out, because of the changes between Mongoose's edition (which is licensed) and the previous Chaosium/Avalon Hill editions (which are not).
I've still got my original 1st Edition copy of Runequest on the shelf. It's battered from use and needs help holding itself together. I also have my old 1st Edition copy of Vampire. So I have a very soft spot for these "old" games. If there is a reasonable way in which we can support the older versions in addition to the newer ones, we'll do so. However, there are practical limits to what can/can't be reasonably accomplished. For example, trying to support D&D 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition in the same set of data files would be ridiculous to try.

We have not yet looked closely at the technical and time implications of supporting both old and new editions of either the WoD or Runequest systems. Once we do, we'll make an assessment. If the extra work is not significant, we'll strive to provide compatability with older editions, but our first priority will always be the current edition.

-Rob
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Since you have those earlier editions, I'm sure you've noticed some of the technical issues (2nd and 3rd edition have one more characteristic than the Mongoose edition, for example).

The other thing about MRQ that may pose a problem for a chargen program is that it's one of the last "Play what you rolled" RPGs. Building a PC from concept isn't as easy when the characteristic you need most might be the one on which you got the lowest score. ("I'm Hamrock the short, weak, sickly Barbarian Uberwarrior! F- <koff, koff> fear me!")
MPHopcroft is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2007, 12:00 AM
At 10:51 AM 3/20/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Since you have those earlier editions, I'm sure you've noticed some of the technical issues (2nd and 3rd edition have one more characteristic than the Mongoose edition, for example).
Fortunately, this particular item is easily accommodated with about 5-10 minutes of work. However, I'm sure there will be something else that ends up causing no end of pain and suffering....

Quote:
The other thing about MRQ that may pose a problem for a chargen program is that it's one of the last "Play what you rolled" RPGs. Building a PC from concept isn't as easy when the characteristic you need most might be the one on which you got the lowest score. ("I'm Hamrock the short, weak, sickly Barbarian Uberwarrior! F- <koff, koff> fear me!"
Hero Lab basically side steps this issue at the moment. We currently leave it to the player to assign the stats. If we integrate the dice roller more tightly into the game systems other than d20 (which is the plan), we'll still provide users with the flexibility to override information. This is required because users will often roll their stats at the table with the rest of the group and then want to punch those numbers into Hero Lab. As long as we provide this capability, we should be able to avoid any problems from this facet of MRQ.
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote