Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Vargr

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
Couldn't we (ahem, LWD of course) simply activate the polling feature by default and only allow registered users to use the poll and then only have one option (= "me too")?

Might work pretty well...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
I saw that a while back after I purchased RW and began looking through posts to glean what information I could. If the forum software is part of the issue, at least that's what I understood from what Liz posted, then is there a possibility of moving to a forum solution that would allow for those type of functionalities? I know it's a HUGE pita to move a forum from one software to another, but if it's limiting your options, it may be worth it.

If not, I know I came across some community feedback third-party solutions when I was doing some research for a client of mine not too long ago, I'll definitely look at my notes and see if any of those solutions would be a good fit.
I went back and looked through my project notes and found a handful of possible options:
  • an open source system that looks fairly easy to set up, though it's pretty basic. would require self-hosting
  • a simple portal (3rd-party/free) that customers can visit to drop comments, feature requests, and suggestions
  • a survey and feedback forum solution (3rd-party/free) - the surveys are short, intuitive and easy to fill out, and the forums allow users to post, vote on and discuss ideas
  • a forum solution (3rd-party/subscription - has a free tier) that gives the opportunity to create a modern support community for your products and/or services
  • a customer service platform (3rd-party/subscription - has a free tier) that has a help desk and user feedback portal, overall this is the most feature rich option of the group.
If any of those are of interest to the LW staff, let me know and I'd be more than happy to forward you the pertinent information
mazzy is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Couldn't we (ahem, LWD of course) simply activate the polling feature by default and only allow registered users to use the poll and then only have one option (= "me too")?

LOL Vargr, love the ahem :P That is one way to go about it, though I'm not sure if they can predefine the poll to have only one option allowed. But for a quick and dirty solution, it's certainly viable
mazzy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post

So anyone who actively doesn't think the suggestion is good is not allowed to express that? The only options are "yes" and "silence"?

I may poke holes in suggestions, but that is done in order to improve the thought behind them. It is rare that I find something worth objecting to, but it does happen... and this is one example.
Silveras is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
So anyone who actively doesn't think the suggestion is good is not allowed to express that? The only options are "yes" and "silence"?

I may poke holes in suggestions, but that is done in order to improve the thought behind them. It is rare that I find something worth objecting to, but it does happen... and this is one example.
The way I understood Vargr's suggestion, the "me too" option would replicate the +1 verbiage that is currently being used, the ability to post your support or contraposition for said suggestion would still be possible. That being said, having an additional "not me" option would actually help with metrics if those selections are backed up with commentary.
mazzy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:22 PM
If it is a poll, especially a message-board one, then the software collects the responses. If the only response allowed is "yes", then it is not really a poll.

I'm not a fan of "+1" posts in general.. I'd rather someone explained some of their thinking... but even so, at least with posts counter-opinions have a way to be added. A poll that allows only "Yes" responses is like an election with one candidate and no write-in option: rigged.

I understand that it was a post made with enthusiasm and probably not much thought beyond HOW to collect the responses, but there's clearly a problem with it in the end.
Silveras is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Actually there is nothing wrong with the suggestion.

A poll with the only response being "I support" is fine as a method of gauging support for an idea. Why should everyone who agrees with a suggestion have to write a post detailing why?

Nothing in the suggestion precluded the suggestion thread not allowing discussion including people making contrary posts. However the poll would be a simple and easy way to gauge support for the suggestion at a glance which would probably be helpful to LWD in figuring out what feature the community really wants and which ones they don't.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Well, it was just a quick idea - and seeing we only use "+1" so far, I didn't think of a "nay" option. Don't put too much into it :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 4th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Technically every thread already has a way for users to "vote" on it: the thread rating system.

I think it would be best as part of their issue tracking system, though.

Parody is offline   #19 Reply With Quote