Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laucian View Post
That's a problem with your players, not something that should affect the program.
Except my PLAYERS are paying for the software and they have every right to demand the software works the way they want. Sense I PAY I also get to demand the software works the exact way I want.

See demanding works both ways not just what you want.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; May 21st, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 21st, 2017, 01:50 PM
Please remember I DO NOT work for Lone Wolf. I get no compensation from them at all. I am a customer and I pay for HL. I am speaking as a customer not any type of representative of Lone Wolf.

Frumple actually works as a contractor to LW and is compensated for his time. I do not. Even the core work I do in d20 (3.5 D&D) is done as a 100% free volunteer service in an attempt to help the community.

So I 100% feel I am allowed to speak up about my desires and my groups desires for how LW will handle this. If you disagree that I am not allowed to speak for my group then I am sorry but I will speak up anyways.

Last thought is as a customer my "wants" is not weighted anymore than any other paying customer.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; May 21st, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 21st, 2017, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am totally lost what your point is? I am very sorry but you seem to just be "summing" up information.

Can you be very clear to your point?

My main point is I DO NOT WANT multiple classes with the same name in HL. This will cause ridiculous levels of confusion to my players. Most HL users I deal with now refuse to even read a book or have a bood with the rules and only go by HL. So having "two" classes to pick from is going to confuse them. They will have NO WAY to know which version to use as most can't/don't track which book just came out or when.

Now lets add to the issue that from the past changes d20pfsrd will simply "update" the class text to the latest printing. This leads to more confusion if the text from d20pfsrd does not match HL. If the text abilities don't match they will complain to me to put in a bug report(s). Then I have to try and explain about books and versions and UG all I will get is a blank look of dear in headlights.
Yeah.. I wasn't clear. Sorry.

I was just summarizing in the end. I deleted a paragraph or two, or three, as I was composing... and my point got lost in the process.

The point: I agree. I am fairly sure that Paizo's policy is the same as WotC's was for 3.x (latest printed version is the one considered "correct"), and I think LWD should follow the same policy. I think it is a bad idea for LWD to try to present multiple versions, because that will cascade to become similar calls for every change made in errata or a FAQ by Paizo. Do it once, and you open the gates.
Silveras is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old May 21st, 2017, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Yeah.. I wasn't clear. Sorry.

I was just summarizing in the end. I deleted a paragraph or two, or three, as I was composing... and my point got lost in the process.

The point: I agree. I am fairly sure that Paizo's policy is the same as WotC's was for 3.x (latest printed version is the one considered "correct"), and I think LWD should follow the same policy. I think it is a bad idea for LWD to try to present multiple versions, because that will cascade to become similar calls for every change made in errata or a FAQ by Paizo. Do it once, and you open the gates.
Here is the root issue, this is not a FAQ or errata, these are alternate versions of the same items. If Paizo and LW want to take the position that these are replacements for the prior content, but are unwilling/unable to do so thru the normal errata process, there should be a way to continue using the original versions of these materials. Not all campaigns use all source books, what happens to campaigns where the original source is legal but the AA isnt? I understand that LW isnt willing to support dual versions. There is a fairly easy solution then, let us fork them to a community package. Because we are at a point where we still have the original versions accessible please give us a copy of them that the community can branch out and continue to support.
Minous is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:10 AM
It would be nice to have the information presented according to which sources are selected, so if you don't have the Adventurer's Guide ticked in the "configure hero" box then it presents the old versions of the things; however if it is ticked then the old things get replaced with the new things.

("thing" referrings to feats, classes, whatever; not the HL term )
Farling is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:08 AM
Could the description text of the "old" versions of the things contain a snippet of text such as "Please note this thing had been updated in the Adventurer's Guide" or something like that, which would alert users that this is indeed an old version?
Lord Magus is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
It would be nice to have the information presented according to which sources are selected, so if you don't have the Adventurer's Guide ticked in the "configure hero" box then it presents the old versions of the things; however if it is ticked then the old things get replaced with the new things.

("thing" referrings to feats, classes, whatever; not the HL term )
WOW that is actually not a bad idea at all. I "think" I could even achieve this using the editors current *Preclude tab.

I would honestly have to test because HL may complain based on which license a person has. Basically if a person has "both" Licenses for the old book and the adventures guide it will work fine. The issue would be the person only has "one" of the licensed books. Hmmmm something to look at.

Thanks!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
WOW that is actually not a bad idea at all. I "think" I could even achieve this using the editors current *Preclude tab.

I would honestly have to test because HL may complain based on which license a person has. Basically if a person has "both" Licenses for the old book and the adventures guide it will work fine. The issue would be the person only has "one" of the licensed books. Hmmmm something to look at.

Thanks!
I'm relatively sure you could do it from a mechanic. As I recall, there were a couple "piratey" weapons we did a similar thing for, because they were presented in one of the Shackles AP issues with a different description than in published books, and we didn't want to overwrite book content with AP setting article content, so we did an amendthing for the description when users turned on the AP source.
Aaron is offline   #28 Reply With Quote