Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
MNBlockHead

Old December 21st, 2014, 03:36 AM
Early morning, coffee not yet kicked in, thought...

It would be nice to have a section under RealmWorks where users could make requests for content. An example where this works well is the Cartographer's Guild "Mapmaking Requests" section on their forum. I've used that forum to commission maps for my campaign.

While I am interested in seeing what the RW marketplace will offer, it doesn't excite me much because it is rare that an adventure module fits well into my campaign setting. Add to that IP constraints and I find that it is often easier and more satisfying to commission content or to work out content-sharing deals with other DMs.

I suppose one could just post a thread making such a request in the general discussions, but if all such requests were put into on forum it would make it easier for content requesters and content creators to connect.

What is cool about this idea from RW's perspective, I think, is that it could turn RW in a kind of Guru.com/Elancer.com for gaming content. But, rather than having to create a whole new system for monetizing this, RW makes its money by selling licenses and cloud subscriptions rather than attempting to take a cut on every transaction.

Content consumers like myself would like this, because I can easily share my realm with a content creator who will develop content within RW minimizing the effort on my part. Also, I have a much more focused group of freelancers than I would using, say, Guru.com. Content creators should like it because they should make out better buying a RW license and subscription and arranging payment via (e.g.) PayPal than paying a percentage cut to Guru.com.

For content creators that are already using the marketplace to sell canned adventure modules, they could also offer service to customize their modules to other game systems or make other tweaks and customizations, within RW for a negotiated hourly/flat fee.

I think that this is one compelling use of RW that hasn't really been exploited yet by users or advertised by the developers.

Of course, as the coffee kicks in, I am reminded how cheap many of us tabletop RPG folk are. We like us some free content and tend not to appreciate that effort that goes into great adventure modules. Yet, enough people must be buying content to keep sites like DriveThrough RPG running. In the fall last year, I spent more money than was probably financially healthy on craploads of content and even more time gathering free content, hoping to speed up my campaign creation. Very little of it could be used without significant tweaking on my part. If I would have spent the same amount of money working with one good freelancer, I would have been further along, I think.

Just an early morning thought.
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote