Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Hi there!

I began to use RW also from player side to track my notes. It works better than writing everything into a book. So far I like it.

But PDF export gets more important for me due to this decision. Anyway, I'm straying away from my original question to you:

I read some forum posts and found some facts in the PDF-manuals on the titled positions / relationships already. However I'm still thinking on how I should add them:

Currently I'll have following topic containment structure:
+ region
+ location
+ individual
+ titled position

PROs: Individual name and position title always separated, Position visible immediately
CONs: The hierarchy within the various positions is not clear, Adding several individuals within the navagation tree, might become unwieldly?

I thought about some other options:

Creating a 2nd structure for the "political" structure of the regions, that includes the titles. From there I create relationships to the indidiuals.

+ region (political)
+ position

PROs: the hierarchy tree view becomes sorted
CONSs: I no longer see at a glance, which rank each individual holds, Using different containments, makes it impossible to see the relationships between position topic and individual topic.

Currently Iam thinking about a mix of both ideas above, by including the political structure within the regional structure

Finally, the question: How do you do it, or do you have any good idea for me what structure to use?

Merry Xmas

EDIT:
Also noticed, that the relationship view does not really help a lot (the way I'm trying to use it). There are too many arrows leading back and forth between the positions and individuals to the various positions, and when using "containment" + "overlay" it is hard to see, which position has a higher / lower rank. Actually it should be possible to specify which side of the relation ship is the "master" or "minion" then, the view could be improved.

Last edited by Acenoid; December 23rd, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old December 23rd, 2014, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand what your aiming for here. Here are two ideas I'll share and you can decide if they suit your goals.

Option 1: Simply place a tag in the body of the actual entry with the person's title. Then create an alias that includes the title so that it will link with or without the title. You can then filter the cast list based on the tag too.

See the example: Bishop1 attached below.

Option 2: If you have a fair number of people with the same titles, create a group for it and then a relationship for each person with the title to that group. In my realm I have a group called "Vaticine Church" and each person that is a a part of the church structure has a relationship to it and I can see the entire list of members in the relationship list at the right.

See example: Group1 attached below.

Hope this helps or at least spurs some ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bishop1.PNG (38.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png group1.PNG (177.3 KB, 23 views)
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 24th, 2014, 04:13 AM
I've been thinking about this as well. I have a group, "The Sons of Heimdall" and I've thought of using that group topic as a container to file members under, but I think I prefer meek75's approach. I like to limit the number of levels of nesting. Also, it seems that this is the purpose of the relationships feature. Since I wasn't comfortable committing to any approach as of yet, I've been relying on autolinking and the members show up in the "content links".
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote