Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

monsterfurby

Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:13 AM
Minor nitpick, but especially with tag entries, I regularly don't have any comments to add. Yet, RW still displays an ellipsis (...) where the comment should be. This is a bit irritating to both me and my players, who would rather have a larger tag area (large enough to show ALL tags) instead of the pointless ellipsis.
monsterfurby is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 8th, 2014, 01:21 AM
The ellipsis is necessary in order to support in-place editing. If you double-click on the ellipsis, you'll switch directly into Edit mode, with the keyboard focus within the comments area you just clicked in. If we get rid of the ellipsis, then where does the user accomplish this? How does the user know where to double-click on a reliable, consistent basis?

If we didn't provide in-place editing, this would be a straightforward change. However, in-place editing is an important design criterion, since it provides a smooth and predictable transition between view mode and edit mode for topics.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Let's see...I like the idea of not showing the ellipsis, but Rob's got a point about showing something where the empty box is to show where to double-click for otherwise empty controls. (I'm used to empty text boxes being a different color, but that doesn't improve things.) There are plenty of other places you can double-click to activate Edit mode, though, and you can double-click in empty space to activate editing. (The I bar is a good indicator.)

The best suggestion is probably to allow a Tags snippet without a comment field and not abbreviate Tags in that type of snippet. (The tag box may become more than one line long.)

You could hide the ellipsis in Player view, since they can't edit it anyway. It wouldn't help with the Tag abbreviations, though.

FWIW, I click the Edit button most of the time. :)

Last edited by Parody; December 8th, 2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Still organizing thoughts.
Parody is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 8th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
You could hide the ellipsis in Player view, since they can't edit it anyway. It wouldn't help with the Tag abbreviations, though.

FWIW, I click the Edit button most of the time. :)
Ditto to both comments. I also mostly because I didn't realize that you could click on the elipse to get that result..

Perhaps as an "update feature" maybe the "how to books" also get a "new coat of paint"

Maybe this could be a first community project to assist LWD (aka Rob since you seem to be the author) and you could shift to role of editor if you could convey a format (and a place) to land the rough drafts by the "freelancers"? Just a thought.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 8th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Page 12 of the World Builder's Guide mentions double-clicking to edit, though I learned about it on these forums.

I'd still rather have a global edit mode. :/

Parody is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old December 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Maybe you could change the elipses to a greyed out link that says "double click here to edit". Just make it so that it doesn't show up in Player Edition or Player View.
Viking2054 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Maybe you could change the elipses to a greyed out link that says "double click here to edit". Just make it so that it doesn't show up in Player Edition or Player View.
+1 that would certainly make it appear less "open ended" and
+1 NEED for keeping it off of the Players Edition... I can live with it .... but it leads to questions on the other end for players that are less experienced with PERW....
Good Point Viking
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 11th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Putting actual text makes Topics/Articles with empty text fields extremely noisy.

Wordy2.png

The ellipsis is a better compromise for editable pages in my opinion.

Parody is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:35 AM
@Parody: Oh good lordy. That would drive me absolutely insane.

The ellipsis work elegantly as they clearly identify that there is nothing to see there. I stopped noticing them months ago.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
+1 NEED for keeping it off of the Players Edition... I can live with it .... but it leads to questions on the other end for players that are less experienced with PERW....
That's definitely a bug. It should be fixed in the next update (targeted for next week).
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote