Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

dungeonguru

Old March 10th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Gord, Grey Mage,

I apologize for not recognizing your obviously superior age and knowledge, I will petition to get you dinosaurized if you want though. I unfortunately didn't get to do too much playing before the red box came out, the materials were just hard to get for me growing up in the sticks. It took a small cabal (as the church called us eventually) just to get a Waldenbooks to carry AD&D in the bible belt.

And Gord, I think I had a copy of The Demon Hand at one point, so I'm jealous of your username every time I see it.
dungeonguru is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old March 10th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Well I haven't been DMing since wood box, but I was playing since 77 with the Wood box.
ErinRigh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old March 11th, 2018, 05:10 AM
playing with your wood since 77 sounds so sad.
Viking2054 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Gallinaar

Old March 13th, 2018, 08:48 AM
At the risk of turning this thread into an old gits gathering, the mere mention of Hommlet and the Temple of Elemental Evil take me right back to around the early 80's and box sets and the first AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide.

There's still a few of us silver-haired old characters lurking between the threads. Thought I'd raise my head for this one.

To get back on topic - editions come and editions go (and we've seen many), yet they come with more complexity, color, character, combat, variations, alternatives, updates, convertions, extras and add-ons. But despite these plentiful modifications (especially since the 80's) I think RealmWorks will accommodate whatever comes easily.

Last edited by Gallinaar; March 13th, 2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: (Spelling)
Gallinaar is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 13th, 2018, 03:54 PM
My worry is that the content market items (PF ones) won't sell as well. I know that more than likely I am only purchasing Adventure Paths, not sure spending money on core/bestiaries will be on my radar now until PF2 is out.
Toblakai is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 13th, 2018, 04:51 PM
It means they need to get strategic and start preparing content and licenses for the systems that are going to bring them in revenue.

Paizo have lost significant market share with the success of 5e and on top of that WOTC have increased the size of that market beyond what it was previously. WOTC have just reported that 2017 was their best year ever for sales. Source

Paizo will want some of that pie which I suspect will mean they will lower the complexity of Pathfinder 2.0 in order to attract 5e players but will in turn piss of 1.0 players. They will predict this and try to find a way to attract both crowds.

Safe to say its going to be really interesting to see what happens next.

LWD will no doubt already be in discussions with Paizo on support for 2.0. I would be surprised if they did not know about this long before now.

One thing is certain though. The majority of the potential market for Realm Works is not playing the primary system they support. If they want to be truly successful they need to adapt and speed up in order to support the systems that people are playing because that is where the $$ is.

The data below paints a picture of what people are playing. Both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds only recently started supporting Pathfinder but I have confirmed the similar split is occurring in the sale of pdf and print material through Frog God Games. 2018 will show better data but I suspect the split between Pathfinder and 5e will remain similar. DMsGuild has recently reported that it is now seeing more traffic than DriveThruRPG.

One important take away is this... Hero Lab, Hero Lab Online and Realm Works are not the most popular tools in their markets. It's niche software with the potential to appeal to a much larger player base.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; March 13th, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Here's the Fantasy Grounds for 2017. Really keen to see the 2018 version of this.
Will be interesting to see what impact Starfinder had and further to that what impact the announcement of 2.0 will do.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:44 PM
From what I've seen, and from things said by people in the industry, I doubt WotC will ever sign any deal with a business that is associated with Paizo.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:47 PM
They already have. Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 are licensed for both.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 13th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Roll20 and FG both got their 5e licenses first.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote