Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

whtknt

Old April 6th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Okay, so I have the Savage Worlds dataset. I want to build a character for Weird War II. I go to the Tools tab, click on Import Files... and select WWII. The system imports the files and tells me, "Import was successful and the new data files are ready for use. The new game system should now appear in the 'Select Game System' dialog."

None of the game specific edges or hindrances are present. Is there something else I need to do? Where is the 'Select Game System' dialog?

On a similar note, I have built a file called Pulp that has some new hindrances and edges I want to use. But when I click on Tools > Import Files... I can't find my Pulp file. How do I make it into an .hl file?
whtknt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 6th, 2016, 03:55 PM
After Hero Lab boots up to a character there is a menu across the top of the screen.

1. Click on Character

2. Click on Configure Hero

3. A window will open up. The right half of it will have a list of checkboxes. There will be one for Wierd Wars 2. Click on that and it should work. While you are there you might see some other settings that interest you.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 6th, 2016, 03:56 PM
As for your own hero lab file, I assume that you used the editor. Open up your file, look at the items that you made in it, and give them a source. There is a Source entry for each of them and this is what will show up in the Configure Hero checkboxes.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 6th, 2016, 07:29 PM
No joy on the first issue. All i get are the usual options for Super-Hero companion, Horror Companion, etc. Nothing for WWII or any other settings.
whtknt is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 6th, 2016, 07:32 PM
The user content box is greyed out and it says "no user content defined."
whtknt is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I am getting a bunch of errors when starting Savage Worlds (but not other HL game systems), Too many to list here, but it says there are at least seven errors. It also says that the data files could not be recovered due to errors and that HL would try to load them in recovery mode. Is anyone else getting this error?
whtknt is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 7th, 2016, 03:26 AM
If you're getting those errors that would explain why you're not seeing anything else you've downloaded. Since I have every single official data file (including WWII, which is one of the ones I made) and all of dartnet's files (and a few others) as well and they all play together just fine (so none of the errors you are seeing) then I would probably guess that those errors are telling you about problems in your "Pulp" data file. Oftentimes the problem is just that you made a "UniqueID" the same as what exists in something else.

My usual tip for UniqueIDs, and the one used for official settings, is to use a 2-letter identifier in them using the same format otherwise used. For example, let's say you have an Edge called "First Stringer" and you tried to give it a UniqueID of edgFirstStri, but maybe that throws an error because the official edge of First Strike already uses that UniqueID (I don't think it does, actually, but this is just an example). In that case if you called your source "Pulp" maybe use a UniqueID of something like "Pu" and change the UniqueID to edgPuFirStr, or something like that. Capitalization is important here as Hero Lab does think that something like edgMyEdge is distinctly different from edgmyedge. You might still run into issues if you're not sure of all the two-letter identifiers in use (so let's say there were already an existing setting called Pulp Fiction and someone used PF for their 2-letter code then if you wanted to use PF for your Purple Fantasy setting you'd still have to consider watching out for overlaps, but overall using a two-letter code can greatly help making sure your UniqueIDs are, in fact, unique.

That would be my first guess so check through those errors and see if they can tell you what things have problems and try to fix those. If you run into things you can't figure out how to fix, though, give us the actual error and I'm many of the folks here will be happy to try and help you figure out the specific problem.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 7th, 2016, 05:34 AM
No, I was getting these errors before I built the Pulp file. But just in case, I erased it (there wasn't that much in it) and the errors are still cropping up. The first of the errors is:

Thing 'edgHSFMGvB' with conditions test currently at Initialize/1000 and its earliest possible resolution at Initialize/2100, booststraps thing 'wpHSFMGvB' which must have its live state resolved by Initialize/2000.

I don't have any but the official data files.
whtknt is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 7th, 2016, 05:59 AM
So based on that there is an Edge (the edg part of the name tells you that) from something using a 2 letter code of HS (which is probably High Space). I THINK there is a known issue with the current official version of the High Space files and the updates that came with the Sci Fi Companion and I believe I read here that the author of those files is working to fix and update them but it hasn't happened yet. The easiest fix right now is to delete the High Space files to fix the issue and to let all of your other data files load up.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old April 7th, 2016, 06:22 AM
That seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much!!
whtknt is offline   #10 Reply With Quote