Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Micco

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Looks like there's a Realmworks.com site already registered and "Coming soon!".

Doing a "who is" on the domain indicates that it has been around for about six years...so if this is really the gang at LoneWolf, they sure know how to plan ahead.

I've been checking the site every couple of days for this announcement...so spill the beans already!

Last edited by Micco; March 31st, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Micco is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nockerkin

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I'm more interested what this means for White-Wolf section of hero labs...

I know I'm going to disappoint myself, but the big dream from many Camarilla and even my own troupe players is a way to build, track, grow, spend xp, and control Character development as an ST, all from an online stand point.

Imagine the time saving possibilities when you are an ST with over 30 players all wanting to spend XP, turn in Downtimes, build characters and ask tons of questions (many of them absurd)....

We generally get most of this done at a player's meeting or thru a forum I've made, but what if the players could view, track and spend XP by themselves all with out the need of an ST.

What if an ST could post online simultaneously to all players their XP and any player awards (brownie points) from last game and then pre-design elements for the Character sheet in Herolabs and upload it to the Web with confidence that the system would block and allow the choices given to the players for spending their new XP.

What about a forum system designed to be interactive based on the Individual Character and limitations set by the ST for Downtimes. Example: A player has a Character with 3 resolve, so the Downtime system knows this and gives the player only 3 actions to fill in for Downtimes. The ST can see all of these Downtimes online and respond to them, and when ready for them to be published to the players, unlocks them for view.

What about an online system that can be flipped to use MET or Rule Book versions...
What if a website could allow Chat room capabilities and maybe even combat thru online dice rollers set to limitations by the ST.

What about a Brownie point/ Membership Class system that would work with both Camarilla members and individual Troupe LARPs that allow for a reward tracking method and XP conversion for all players doing things to help the game overall.

The ST needs not be there, just the ability to review past events posted and done on the site...

just imagine that...

But when I hear DM, that tells me this is not for White-Wolf games....
Nor are any of the concepts I’ve presented above…

Last edited by Nockerkin; April 9th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Nockerkin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
from what i am reading it is gonna be system neutral. and whitewolf sayd they have somthing in the works. if i remember correctly lonewolf is nvolved with.
flamepulse is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
gilvagor

Old April 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM
But in the end DM, GM and ST are exactly the same thing. Just different companies trying to distinguish a role to their own system.
gilvagor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Micco

Old April 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
*cough*

Micco is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micco View Post
Looks like there's a Realmworks.com site already registered and "Coming soon!".
It appears that domain has been squatted on for quite some time. We've filed for trademark registration. Once that's completed, then we'll be able to contact the current holder about acquiring it from them.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nockerkin View Post
I'm more interested what this means for White-Wolf section of hero labs...
Realm Works will be game system agnostic. There will be a few minor customizations tailored for various game systems, but they will be minor. That being said, many of the things you are seeking can likely be achieved through a combination of Realm Works and Hero Lab.

The key detail is that RW will be a client application initially - with an online component. As the world transitions to an online model, we'll be doing the same with RW.

Quote:
I know I'm going to disappoint myself, but the big dream from many Camarilla and even my own troupe players is a way to build, track, grow, spend xp, and control Character development as an ST, all from an online stand point.
You can do this today with Hero Lab - just not online.

Quote:
Imagine the time saving possibilities when you are an ST with over 30 players all wanting to spend XP, turn in Downtimes, build characters and ask tons of questions (many of them absurd)....
This is probably doable between RW and HL.

Quote:
We generally get most of this done at a player's meeting or thru a forum I've made, but what if the players could view, track and spend XP by themselves all with out the need of an ST.
All doable today with Hero Lab. The player submits his proposed XP expenditures to the ST as a modified HL portfolio. The ST approves them or not, returning the file to the player and keeping a copy for himself.

Quote:
What if an ST could post online simultaneously to all players their XP and any player awards (brownie points) from last game
Realm Works is planned to support stuff like this, but not in V1.0.

Quote:
and then pre-design elements for the Character sheet in Herolabs and upload it to the Web with confidence that the system would block and allow the choices given to the players for spending their new XP.
This is currently doable in Hero Lab.

Quote:
What about a forum system designed to be interactive based on the Individual Character and limitations set by the ST for Downtimes.
This is getting game system-specific, so its outside the current scope we're planning for the initial release of Realm Works, but we could potentially add something like this.

Quote:
What about an online system that can be flipped to use MET or Rule Book versions...
This may already be doable with Hero Lab. It's something we can discuss via email if you wish. You can drop me an email at helpdesk at wolflair dot com.

Quote:
What if a website could allow Chat room capabilities and maybe even combat thru online dice rollers set to limitations by the ST.
This is sounding like a Virtual Table Top. That's not what Realm Works is intended to be. However, there are other good tools out there for that purpose.

Quote:
What about a Brownie point/ Membership Class system that would work with both Camarilla members and individual Troupe LARPs that allow for a reward tracking method and XP conversion for all players doing things to help the game overall.
This might be already doable within Hero Lab.

Quote:
But when I hear DM, that tells me this is not for White-Wolf games....
Nor are any of the concepts I’ve presented above…
We use the term GM as a generic term. It translates to ST for White Wolf games, DM for D&D, etc. Hero Lab adapts to each game system completely, so it provides functionality specific to each game. Realm Works is intended to be system agnostic, so its features will be generalized. However, the two will work in concert, so much of what you're asking for is possible. And many of the WW-specific things are already possible within Hero Lab.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote