Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Scholz

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I wanted to create an Alternate Form that had some lower stats. Specifically Intellect. How can I do that? Enhanced Attribute and Enhanced Trait won't let me put in Negative numbers to lower a number.
Scholz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Check the options for the character. I want to say there's an optional setting to allow reducing traits via Enhanced Trait. I know there is for 2E.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM
It's under Enhanced Trait. You can apply negative attributes there. Just pick Intellect as the trait you want to modify, then click the left arrow.

Last edited by FifthWanderer; April 26th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
FifthWanderer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Yes that is true on how to lower it but for some reason it cost one point no matter how low you lower it. but the var. power lets you lower it and gives you points back.
jbearwillis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
Yes that is true on how to lower it but for some reason it cost one point no matter how low you lower it. but the var. power lets you lower it and gives you points back.
That may be a hold-over from 2nd Edition where I pointed out to Colen that the M&M rules say that a power, no matter how many Power Drawbacks & Power Flaws you might layer onto it, can never cost less than 1 power point.

No free (or power point generating) lunch for the player characters.

Is this no longer true (yeah, my group is still playing 2nd Edition in the primary campaign with an additional campaign starting up this Saturday that will also use 2nd Edition so I've had no reason to dive into the new ruleset) in 3rd Edition?

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; April 27th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CelticREI

Send a message via AIM to CelticREI Send a message via MSN to CelticREI Send a message via Yahoo to CelticREI

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Small Necro: A quick work around for this is to add something in the -same- Enhanced Trait which costs exactly how much the negative gives back (say -2 Int, +2 Awe, or -2 Int, +4 to a skill) and it should make it cost 0pp.
CelticREI is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CLBeilby

Old May 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
This is a definite issue, guys. The Enhanced Trait power does include the Reduced Trait flaw (DCA Pg 97, not sure what page in the M&M3 Heroes Handbook,) with no way to implement it in Hero Lab. I've a player who's built a Clayface type Character for a DC PBP, and I can't get this into my Master portfolio.
CLBeilby is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
JDRook

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old June 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
That is an issue. I remember having that problem with Clayface myself. As a workaround, I just applied a custom -3 flat flaw to one of the other Hard Body effects to get the math right.
JDRook is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The text of Reduced Trait says:

"One or more of your traits is lowered while others are enhanced. This flaw is worth as many points as the reduction in the affected trait(s). So, for example, if you lose Intellect while you gain in Strength, treat the value of the lost Intellect ranks as the value of the flaw. As with all flaws, the effect must still cost at least 1 power point."

Isn't that how Hero Lab works right now? You can add to one trait while reducing another, but the total effect must still cost at least 1 point.
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I think the argument is that it would be useful to allow straight reductions of traits as an exception to "must cost at least 1 pp" so that someone with an Alternate Form that's less agile can simply say that their Dexterity is -4 when in the form instead of having to find a counter-balancing trait to pair it up with, assuming there is one. I'd be fine with it being a custom extra or the like which lets one ignore the "at least 1 pp" rule.
Duggan is offline   #10 Reply With Quote