Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Scarr

Old January 16th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Hello there,
My DM is quite the medieval "fanatic" and has redone the weapon and armour system since he believes it should be more realistic. I do have a list of all the changes, and it's quite extensive. I would nonetheless want to incorporate these changes as a set of changes in the editor. Naturally, my first step was just to add the new weapons as duplicates. Now while that works, I do have... duplicates now, obviously, which does clutter the screen quite a lot when I want to add a new weapon.

So, this is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to hide weapons that I have created duplicates of? A workaround would be to add something to every overhauled weapon, but I would prefer it to be hidden.
Scarr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 16th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarr View Post
Hello there,
My DM is quite the medieval "fanatic" and has redone the weapon and armour system since he believes it should be more realistic. I do have a list of all the changes, and it's quite extensive. I would nonetheless want to incorporate these changes as a set of changes in the editor. Naturally, my first step was just to add the new weapons as duplicates. Now while that works, I do have... duplicates now, obviously, which does clutter the screen quite a lot when I want to add a new weapon.

So, this is probably a dumb question, but is there a way to hide weapons that I have created duplicates of? A workaround would be to add something to every overhauled weapon, but I would prefer it to be hidden.
Yes. You have three options I can think of off the top of my head:

1) When creating new weapons, you can replace the original weapon. ie. when creating a new longsword, put wLongsword in the box marked "Replaces Thing Id". This will remove the original weapon from the list, but it also means you won't be able to use the original weapon under other circumstances.

2) Input all the original weapon Id's in to the Hidden tab of the editor (General --> *Hidden). Anything entered here will be hidden, as the name implies. As above, this means you won't be able to use these weapons under other circumstances.

3) Create a new source (ie. Medieval Weapons) which you mark all of your new weapons with. Then go to General --> *Preclude and insert all of the original weapon ids into the Thing Unique Id window and the new source into the Source Id window. This means that as long as you have the Medieval Weapons source checked, you will only see your new weapons, but if you uncheck it, you will see your old weapons. If you want to be able to see both, then you could do one of the following:
A) Add a second source to all the new weapons, and keep it checked while unchecking the other source, or
B) Don't bother sourcing all of the new weapons. This way when Medieval Weapons is checked you see only the new ones, and when unchecked you see all of them.
Whatever you do, be sure to do it all in a new user file, and not one that's part of the community set. Files associated with the community set are over-written with each update, and anything changed in them will be lost.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Scarr

Old January 29th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Thank you - you're the best. Works like a charm.

Another thing that is related, and although something entirely different, I didnt want to open another thread up for: One of the weapons in the list my DM gave me is listed as 2d6 damage, which isn't listed in the drop down menu for the weapons in the editor. Any way to circumvent that?

Last edited by Scarr; January 29th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Scarr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 29th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Thank you - you're the best. Works like a charm.

Another thing that is related, and although something entirely different, I didnt want to open another thread up for: One of the weapons in the list my DM gave me is listed as 2d6 damage, which isn't listed in the drop down menu for the weapons in the editor. Any way to circumvent that?
I'm not sure what you're asking. There is a 2d6 option in the Damage Dice dropdown selection window.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Scarr

Old January 29th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Interesting. I have it on two devices, and it's not on one of them, hence the question. I am gonna reinstall, probably something very weird has gone wrong.

Sorry for the silly and wrong question then.
Scarr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 30th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Interesting. I have it on two devices, and it's not on one of them, hence the question. I am gonna reinstall, probably something very weird has gone wrong.

Sorry for the silly and wrong question then.
No problem at all, I was just confused. No idea why it wouldn't show up. Let me know if you continue to have problems.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Scarr

Old February 3rd, 2018, 12:07 AM
Ha, now I know why it didn't show up, I got confused myself there! I am indeed not looking for a 2d6 as I said earlier, but a 2d3, which I can't find on either device. Sorry for the error!

Anyway, since I assume something like that'd be too deep in the code (unless there is some way in the Procedure/Extend Thing tabs that one could add such a dice), I will add a comment for the weapons using 2d3 for now.

Thanks again for all the help, Sendric!

EDIT1: I am searching through the .xml files now and stumbled upon hl_dice.xml. No idea what exactly it does just yet, but there seems to be a custom dice roller some where, given the comments. Probably more edits will follow.
EDIT2: Ah, it's simply the dice roller in the tools.

Last edited by Scarr; February 3rd, 2018 at 02:37 AM.
Scarr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Ha, now I know why it didn't show up, I got confused myself there! I am indeed not looking for a 2d6 as I said earlier, but a 2d3, which I can't find on either device. Sorry for the error!

Anyway, since I assume something like that'd be too deep in the code (unless there is some way in the Procedure/Extend Thing tabs that one could add such a dice), I will add a comment for the weapons using 2d3 for now.

Thanks again for all the help, Sendric!

EDIT1: I am searching through the .xml files now and stumbled upon hl_dice.xml. No idea what exactly it does just yet, but there seems to be a custom dice roller some where, given the comments. Probably more edits will follow.
EDIT2: Ah, it's simply the dice roller in the tools.
Ah, yes, that makes more sense. To my knowledge there is no way to get 2d3. However, there is a field called "Fixed Damage" which you can use. The downside to this is if you need to worry about when you change size or anything like that. Then you would need to know what it scales to. If that's not a concern, simply fill in "Fixed Damage" with 2d3 and you're all set.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Scarr

Old February 3rd, 2018, 01:37 PM
I do not need to worry about size modifiers for now, but sadly this solution would omit any other modifiers too, right? Like STR mod, for example.

I fear I would rather stick with a comment then...

How's this kind of stuff done in the Authoring Kit? There must be some way to add all kinds of dice there?
Scarr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:48 PM
Quote:
How's this kind of stuff done in the Authoring Kit? There must be some way to add all kinds of dice there?
Authoring kit is for making WHOLE new game systems. Its not for modifying existing paid systems.

It is technically possible for LW to add 2d3 but the issue becomes its not a damage that is supported by d20 rules. Its not listed in the bestiary size system charts so what is the die smaller than 2d3? What is the size bigger than 2d3?

Honestly the average damage of 2d3 is 3 points which is less than a single 1d6 which is average 3.5. I would set your weapon to 1d6 a size supported by the rules and call it a day.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote