Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Sendric

Old August 8th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco963 View Post
Yet another new thing: a new Weapon of Legacy negative effect that I'm trying to implement is a reduction of spell slots. I haven't so far found anyone that's done that already, and the tutorial html's didn't seem to mention it. I couldn't find any items that increased it either, except as an In-Play listing. I found the field cCastTot in the srd_class_wizard.dat, but as that's an array, I'm not sure how to implement that in a script to reference only the count of a particular spell level, nor am I sure which hero.child it would be under...
I guess if you're already in the deep end of the pool...

First, let me ask this. Does this remove spell slots from all spell-casting classes on the character, or just one? If it's all, we can use a foreach loop (Shadow's favorite). If it's just one, then we have to get creative. In that case, you'd need to bootstrap a feat instead of a special because you'll need a way to choose the class and then reduce the spell slot from that selection.

So, if you would, please cut and paste the exact description of the special. Of, if you prefer, just give me a page number if it's from the Weapons of Legacy book. I have that around here somewhere.
Sendric is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
draco963

Old August 8th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks Sendric. At the moment, I'm creating Frostburn's Wrath (pg 93 of WoL). At level 6, the staff incurs a penalty -1 to your spell save, and subtracts one level 1 spell slot. So, we're working with only one hero, not even a whole class (I wouldn't want any other wizards in the portfolio to get dinged!), let alone all classes. So I've got to subtract a single spell slot from level 1 spells only (I'll have to do higher levels later, but creating the first one is all the work, the rest are just C&P).

Pages 186 & 187 give some description of Legacy costs.

I'll play around with feats, see how that goes, and try to work doneif in. It might be hard, as I'm having to use gIsEquip, wIs2nd, and wIsDouble to make sure the specials and powers get added no matter how the weapon is equipped.

Thanks!
draco963 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
draco963

Old August 8th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Bah. I was all excited when I found the Extra Slot feat, and then I saw it was text-only, and has no coded effect... drat
draco963 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 9th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Thanks Sendric. At the moment, I'm creating Frostburn's Wrath (pg 93 of WoL). At level 6, the staff incurs a penalty -1 to your spell save, and subtracts one level 1 spell slot. So, we're working with only one hero, not even a whole class (I wouldn't want any other wizards in the portfolio to get dinged!), let alone all classes. So I've got to subtract a single spell slot from level 1 spells only (I'll have to do higher levels later, but creating the first one is all the work, the rest are just C&P).

Pages 186 & 187 give some description of Legacy costs.
Ok, I'll take a look when I get the chance. The reason I asked though, is in the case where people have multi-classed characters. Wiz/Sor, Favored Soul/Bard, etc.

Quote:
I'll play around with feats, see how that goes, and try to work doneif in. It might be hard, as I'm having to use gIsEquip, wIs2nd, and wIsDouble to make sure the specials and powers get added no matter how the weapon is equipped.

Thanks!
You might also be able to use tags. containder.parent.tagis[x.x.]

To see what the tags are, you can right-click on the weapon and select "Show Debug Tags".

Which reminds me. You had asked me earlier about getting an error when you compile. Instead of rebooting the program, you can just hit "CRTL-R" to recompile in the portfolio. This will avoid those warning messages.
Sendric is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Bah. I was all excited when I found the Extra Slot feat, and then I saw it was text-only, and has no coded effect... drat
That's unfortunate. I'll mark that down as a bug to take a look at,
Sendric is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
draco963

Old August 9th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Thank-you Sendric. Extra Slot is listed as having Complete Arcane and Ghostwalk Campaign as sources. There's another, Extra Spell, also from Complete Arcane (are these two items duplicates of each other? Should there only be one of them?), which also doesn't do anything, it's just text.

Quote:
The reason I asked though, is in the case where people have multi-classed characters. Wiz/Sor, Favored Soul/Bard, etc.
Ah. I get it now. OK, so, the -1 spell slot would only have a single impact; it wouldn't be a global effect that hit all classes on the character. So, a hero with Wiz4/Sorcerer3/Bard6 would still lose one level-1 spell slot, not three.

How would I determine which child cCastTot lives under? (did I use the terminology correctly?) And, are there any other picks that are arranged in arrays that I could try to model my script after?

Thanks!
draco963 is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 9th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Thank-you Sendric. Extra Slot is listed as having Complete Arcane and Ghostwalk Campaign as sources. There's another, Extra Spell, also from Complete Arcane (are these two items duplicates of each other? Should there only be one of them?), which also doesn't do anything, it's just text.
Extra Spell and Extra Slot are two different feats. I'll look into implementing them for the next release.

Quote:
Ah. I get it now. OK, so, the -1 spell slot would only have a single impact; it wouldn't be a global effect that hit all classes on the character. So, a hero with Wiz4/Sorcerer3/Bard6 would still lose one level-1 spell slot, not three.

How would I determine which child cCastTot lives under? (did I use the terminology correctly?) And, are there any other picks that are arranged in arrays that I could try to model my script after?

Thanks!
Ok, I was just looking at the WoL book. I think we might be able to organize it a little better depending on what the end result you are looking for is. I think we might be better off using Adjustments to create the specific Weapons of Legacy as presented in the books. If you are looking for something more versatile, then I'll have to think about that more. Either way, if you don't mind, perhaps we should take this conversation to email where it will be easier to share the file. My email address is sendric [at] gmail [dot] com. If you would send me your file, I'd like to try out the idea I'm thinking of to see how it would work, or if it would work.
Sendric is offline   #27 Reply With Quote