Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I can't help it. I want to know what things are used for if they are accessible. The array of text called wDamageTbl, what is it used for? I thought it would be able to modify the actual damage listed in weapons, but it won't. That is generated strictly by the tag. And what exactly does No Attribute Damage mean?

Anyways, it's been a frustrating afternoon with HL, I've been working on the harder aspects of things, and meeting internal coding walls for things I really wish I had access to. Anyhow, does anyone know the answer to these questions? Thanks.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
While viewing the weapon's fields, take a look at the various rows of wDamageTbl. Look at the value of wCurrEquip (a few items above wDamageTbl) - compare the row of wDamageTbl that corresponds to what wCurrEquip currently is with the damage that's actually printed - they'll be the same. wDamageTbl stores the final text that's been generated for the weapon's damage, for all the possible equip scenarios. Try different combinations of main hand, off-hand, both hands, and dual-wielding to watch wCurrEquip change.

To see the difference between the no attribute and normal versions of the damage, make sure your test character has a strength bonus to damage.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Duh, I was testing the attribute version of a normal 10 strength, brainless of me. I was actually thinking it was attribute damage (such as from a shadow). Brain lock.

As for the wCurrEquip, I knew that was tied to it, just because of the double weapons. However, the text determined wCurrEquip is still somehow overwritten afterwards. Thus, making the wDamageTbl array fields... uhm, unnecessary. Or am I missing something? I'm just assuming there is an internal piece of code that checks the values against the tags, and changes them back. Hmmm, gets me wondering about another approach...

Last edited by Kendall-DM; June 30th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Nah, that appproach didn't work either. Oh well, I'm just going to have to livename extra damage (which is what I was already doing, just thought I'd take a shot at adding the extra damage types, such as fire or acid, to the damage).
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Try after Final/500000 - that's when wDamageTbl is filled in
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I'm doing it at 500001, the table itself is filled in, I can see it when I open it in the debugger. However, the actual thing applied to the damage is strictly that damage dice. I've gone so far as to fill in every entry in the damage table, but still it doesn't change the damage for text, just puts the damage die in there and nothing else. My suspicion is that the table is filled out at 500000 and also output at 500000 to the damage text, thus my refilling the table in at 500001 is moot. Seems to be a timing issue that I can't interrupt. No biggie, it was just my attempt and doing something cool, and spending my afternoon vapor locked on it, when it just wasn't solvable. As a programmer, I always think there is a way to get something done, just doesn't seem to be a way in this case. Thanks for the info Mathias!

And still, I think I can crack this nut. Hard headed eh?
Kendall-DM is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM
That's a familiar problem, the filled and output at the same time thing. In the community files there are several specials that replace the defaults specifically to split the timing up so there is a period in the middle to make changes.
Lawful_g is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM
For actual tables though, I don't think you can solve that with a replacement.
Lawful_g is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Oh, I've replaced the table. I just can't do it with the necessary timing, thanks to the calculating and fetching happening at the same time. Now, I have started playing around with the Timing button, though I'm not sure what it does as yet. My attempts to put the table change between when it is filled out and when it is fetched from has met with failure. Currently pouring through some documentation to try and learn a bit more about the Timing button and how I can use it to fix this problem. Just got to understand how it's to be used.
Kendall-DM is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Where is the timing button in the editor? Do you mean the Phase and Priority sections above eval scripts and such?
Lawful_g is offline   #10 Reply With Quote