Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bodrin

Old January 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Is it possible to have the Deity text field altered to a selection box. instead of entering the custom text. Just like the selector for the alignment of the Deity next to it.

I've inputted most of the D20 deities for some magic items that refer to worshiping a specific deity and would like to bootstrap the names to the text field, the option to enter custom text for non pantheon specific data could also be kept in, similar to the New Tag mechanism.
bodrin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
bump

I'd like to see this too. As an aside, is there any way to check the deity text field and use that as part of a requirement?
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
bump

I'd like to see this too. As an aside, is there any way to check the deity text field and use that as part of a requirement?
This is the best way to handle it. Write your requirements to search the string and list valid if it matches a substring (both "Thor " and "thor " as substrings and "thor" and "Thor" as full exact strings.)
risner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, that's the basic idea, though I haven't yet figured out what the name of that text field is (and by extension what the code for that would be). I was also toying around with the idea of creating a new Item Selection field, but I don't know if that's even possible. The idea would be that I could create a class ability that chooses from a list of deities. To do that, though, I would need to create the list and somehow tell HL to select from that list. Any ideas on how to do that?

The only other solution I've come up with is making the deity selection a custom ability that is selected the same way cleric deities are. I know how to do this already, but I'm not sure I like that as an option in this case.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Any ideas on how to do that?

The only other solution I've come up with is making the deity selection a custom ability that is selected the same way cleric deities are. I know how to do this already, but I'm not sure I like that as an option in this case.
I don't like custom selection, because it doesn't cover things you didn't think to put in.

The Deity is on the personal tab.
So set it to "Moo"
Go to Develop->Floating->Show Selection Fields and look through the list for something that sounds like it makes sense.
You see Background, and think yea Deity could be a background.

You see it in there as bDeity.

hero.child[background].field[bDeity].text

Last edited by risner; February 22nd, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
risner is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:14 AM
Ahh..that helps a lot. Thank you.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DthShdw

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Actually, a thought that I had was to have it as a selection box and in the editor a section dedicated to deities which would include their areas of influence (portfolios, etc). Exceptions to normal Alignment rules, if applicable, favored weapons, and even available Domains which could be automatically flagged for being hidden/greyed out if the character didn't qualify.
DthShdw is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Yes, ideally it would be a selection box. I'm just not sure if that's something we can do as a user community or if the developers need to do that.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old February 24th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Yes, ideally it would be a selection box. I'm just not sure if that's something we can do as a user community or if the developers need to do that.
I second the selection box, and I'd like a deity tab in the editor too!
At the momen I've got the core deities bootstrapped to the True Believer feat from CDiv and MIC. The feat allows you to select the deity and assigns a user tag to the hero (coded by Lawful_g).
I'm grinding the rest of the Pantheon in but to have a purpose built tab would make things so much easier!
bodrin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 12th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Thread bump... did this ever go anywhere?
Looking at the Editor, I see no way to link back to (what in this case) amounts to a user input field on the personal tab.
Like others have mentioned, I would like the ability to assign feats, skills, specials, etc to particular deities (and then by extension their followers).
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote