Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tarot Warrior

Old May 13th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I just bought the Power Profiles Data Pack, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the DC of the Dimensional Banishment Power. As in, I can't make it any harder to resist by the default value on the power, which his DC 11.

I must be missing something simple. Which option am I supposed to tinker around with?
Tarot Warrior is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 13th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Huh. I would have sworn this existed. Anyhow, the following .user file should make it available if you put it in your ProgramData directory.
Attached Files
File Type: email Increase DC.user (1,000 Bytes, 4 views)
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tarot Warrior

Old May 14th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. When I try to download the file, it downloads it as a .xml file. Is that normal? Also, now that the file is in ProgramData, how do I access it inside HeroLab itself? I feel like I may have put it in wrong...

I am on a Mac computer, if that changes anything.
Tarot Warrior is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old May 14th, 2015, 02:58 AM
The file is indeed an XML file, but you do need an extension of .user in your file system. Not certain how that works on a Mac. Do make sure that it's in the M&M3 directory there, "data/mutants3" on my side.

To access it via the editor, you should be able to go to Tools/Show Editor and load it up that way. You can see the code I used there. For using it with your characters, it generally just automatically works for me when the file is dropped into the directory before Hero Lab starts. If it's already running, you may need to use Develop/Compile Data Files or Develop/Quick Reload Data Files. Alternately, a sure-fire way to bring in a particular extra is to bring it up in the Editor and click on Test Now.

To actually use it, just add it as an Extra on your power. You'll notice that it's greyed out if you don't have the Attack extra on your power. That is by design.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Tarot Warrior

Old May 14th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Still can't make it appear. I'm sorry for being such a dunce.

To make sure I put it in the correct folder, with Hero lab open, Tools -> Explore Folders -> Program Data Folder. This opens up Library/Application Support/Hero Lab on my computer. From there I go data/mutants3, and that is where I put the file named Increase DC.user.xml. I close Hero Lab entirely, then open it up again, and attempt to play around with the pre-made power in question.
Tarot Warrior is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Ah. Remove the .xml at the end. It should only have a file extension of .user.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Tarot Warrior

Old May 14th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Still nothing, even after removing the .xml from the file name. I can't open it with the editor nor can I access it as a Power Extra in Hero Lab itself.

EDIT: I found something under Add New Power Options, rather than power extras, called 'Extra Ranks'. So sorry about that, and thank you so much for your help on such short notice, users like you really make the Hero Lab community the awesome place that it is!

It allows you to raise the DC of powers, at your power's default pp cost per rank. Yet the power description from the Power Profiles blurb says that it should be a 3 point cost for every +1 in DC, after the initial 4 pp cost for the power.

How can I fix point cost so that it can be as intended?

Last edited by Tarot Warrior; May 14th, 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Tarot Warrior is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old May 15th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Hmm... well, it's an easy enough to change the value of that power option. You just make a copy of it in the editor (noting the ID), change the cost (I think it's in terms of "ranks") and set it to replace the ID. I will have to check when I get home if there's an easy way to modify this dynamically based on the cost per rank of the power.

Incidentally, can you try something for me? Go into the editor and make a small change and save the file (if you want something easy, use Add Copy, change the displayed name of it to something recognizable and add an ID to it, then save). If your change is available, you should be able to copy and paste the XML contents of the .user file I provided into your new .user file and it should work. This might be a bug for Hero Lab and Macs.
Duggan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Tarot Warrior

Old May 15th, 2015, 07:53 PM
It totally worked, I was able to get your Increase DC power extra by copy/pasting from the two different user files. Great thinking!

Changing your Custom Extra to cost 3 per rank also worked out great. It's just the "official" rank number in the Power title that stays at 1, but the program still checks the maximum capacity of it based on the current PL, but that is REALLY nothing I'm concerned about. I know what rank it's supposed to be

Thank you oh so very much for all your help, Duggan! You are the best!
Tarot Warrior is offline   #9 Reply With Quote