Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

joepacelli

Old January 19th, 2018, 11:52 AM
So in less than 3 weeks we will be hitting the 1 year mark since LWD announced about the adoption of Paizo and the handling of Print/PDF content.
https://www.wolflair.com/blog/2017/0...ontent-market/

I'm still in awe that the Content Market and it's abilities was announced even prior to this announcement and we have yet to see it's official release and what content will be available at it's release (if it even happens)

This is from the December News Letter;
Our team is still working closely with Paizo to ensure appropriate communications between our site and theirs is available for properly handling purchases and authenticating ownership of Pathfinder PDFs. Once we have these issues firmly resolved, we will bring the Content Market online. We don’t have dates at this time, but we’ll announce them once we know more. We expect to have this issue resolved shortly after the new year.

People have mentioned not to back a Kickstarter project. This is well beyond the Kickstarter project now. Just going to the website for Realm Works itself list the following feature: Integrate Ready-Made Content into your World.
You click on this link and it states, Content Market Coming Early 2016.

So if someone is looking for a Campaign management software and happen to run into this website, they would assume that the content Market most likely exists now since this states it was coming early 2016, over 2 years ago.

Even if you google content market you find the spotlight series that Liz did in early 2016 where she even talks about published content and the content market coming early 2016.

We've been give date after date, promise after promise of the CM release and we are still waiting.

Hopefully shortly after Paizo Con
Then by Gen Con
Then by the end of the year

Each time there's a new excuse as to why the Content Market is not being released. With the latest being the Paizo API and the ownership of the PDF's. Wouldn't this been an issue 2+ years ago. Did it actually take 2 years for this to be the current problem?
joepacelli is offline   #271 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old January 19th, 2018, 12:21 PM
*Removed my own comment as I deemed it a bit childish...

Last edited by Dhrakken; January 19th, 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Dhrakken is offline   #272 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 19th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
?
No I quoted exactly what he wrote. I do not appreciate the implication. He wrote "you as the bard activate inspire courage to apply to the whole party" and I responded to that. If I wanted to respond to the stuff about 2 PC's being debuffed I would have included it in the quote.
Correct. 2 PCs is not a blanket application to everyone in the party. So your in agreement now that the ability will be able to apply buffs from 1 to X members of the party.

You and DarkLord where going on about only being able to apply a buff to everyone or no one which is not what Ian said at all.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; January 19th, 2018 at 03:38 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #273 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 19th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Sorry Shadow, (and with the utmost respect for your community efforts) there are ALOT of eventualities (insert "soon" here) that have been "coming" for some time now, and while it would certainly be of help (glad to hear D20 love), none of the systems have been moved into Herolab online save Starfinder and in all likelihood, PF is likely the next.
Correct most likely PF is next. It started with Starfinder because it was already being created so why not make it for HLO to start.

Quote:
Further, if/when the PF core is ever moved, the sheer mass of that undertaking (with all the supplements) will impact all other game systems creating a "potential" for more "soon" opportunities and impacting the "other soon elements" that have been languishing in the "soon" box for the Content market to resolve .
The only part of HL that has be modified for Pathfinder to go to HLO is the UI. That is it. Just like the UI had to be updated/converted for the iPad. Pathfinder and HL didn't come to a stop just because it came out for the iPad and it won't stop for HLO either.

Yes it has some work but once you build the UI for a "Feat" or a "Spell" it does not matter if that spell/feat is from CORE or Book#76. They both display exactly the same in the UI. This has been covered multiple times already in other threads.

Quote:
Again, nothing but respect for you, but my cinacisim for LWD promises are not without merit.
But will concede your "ear to the wall" comment does at least show its "on the radar" somewhere.
If you hate LW or like them its all the same to me. I am just trying to correct a few totally misinterpreted ideas/thoughts that got tossed out in regards to HLO.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #274 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 19th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Correct. 2 PCs is not a blanket application to everyone in the party. So your in agreement now that the ability will be able to apply buffs from 1 to X members of the party.

You and DarkLord where going on about only being able to apply a buff to everyone or no one which is not what Ian said at all.
I'm striving to be polite but WTF? That is twice that you have you apparently intentionally misrepresented what I wrote.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #275 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 19th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Quote:
I'm striving to be polite but WTF? That is twice that you have you apparently intentionally misrepresented what I wrote.
Please go back and read what you quoted from Ian. You are drawing totally the opposite ideas from what he wrote. Hence the reason I jumped into this thread.

Ian gave two examples of applying buffs. One to only 2 PCs and one to everyone. You than said it’s bad to ONLY allow a buff to everyone but that is clearly not how the ability is going to work.

Honestly if your getting upset I am sorry and totally lost on why.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #276 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 19th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Quote:
...............If you hate LW or like them its all the same to me. I am just trying to correct a few totally misinterpreted ideas/thoughts that got tossed out in regards to HLO.
Humm, "Hate" is abit strong... more like jaded disappointment at years of "soon" with little to show for it.

And I do appreciate the info on HLO (for the community as a whole, I really don't have a use for HLO but always have a use for your insight.. Especially HL code), but it's unfortunate that it has to come this way than for LWD to provide support to those community questions, with similar / timely answers. Generally, LWD responds but only when the pot is nearly boiling over. (In general, Ian, Joe, Liz, Rob, and BJ for a moment have all had a turn at quelling those fires).

But even at that, I do understand they are reluctant due to the barrage of questions that would certainly follow, but LWD owns a part of that by creating the culture of silence in the first place.

To steer back on thread, All still waits for the progress of the content market and how that will move both on (and offline) Realmworks & Herolab in the (hopefully) not to distant future.

My two CP
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #277 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 19th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Please go back and read what you quoted from Ian. You are drawing totally the opposite ideas from what he wrote. Hence the reason I jumped into this thread.

Ian gave two examples of applying buffs. One to only 2 PCs and one to everyone. You than said it’s bad to ONLY allow a buff to everyone but that is clearly not how the ability is going to work.

Honestly if your getting upset I am sorry and totally lost on why.
Again you misrepresent what I wrote. Dishonesty is unbecoming. I have no idea why you are doing this but I won't continue with this as long as you are doing so.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #278 Reply With Quote
Ian

Old January 20th, 2018, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Ian, something has changed. One of the great things about RWup until about the last year was VERY rapid turnaround of bug reports. Now folks don’t even get an acknowledgement after weeks it seems. Also, we used to see tow or three program updates a month. Now it is like two or three months between upgrades.
I'm not involved in the ongoing RW work, but it's definitely happening. It's a lot of work, though, and for the link with Paizo's system we're subject to any requirement (or change in requirements) Paizo cares to set on data security, DRM handling, and server communication.

Quote:
?
No I quoted exactly what he wrote. I do not appreciate the implication. He wrote "you as the bard activate inspire courage to apply to the whole party" and I responded to that. If I wanted to respond to the stuff about 2 PC's being debuffed I would have included it in the quote.
That was meant to be an off-the-cuff example of functionality enabled by the online aspect of HLO, not an in-depth explanation of "go to so-and-so tab and check the box next to each PC name and then..." etc.

Quote:
Not to mention that the described "Feature" isn't one on the radar for the bulk of the game settings in herolab, except Starfinder.
Quote:
Further, if/when the PF core is ever moved, the sheer mass of that undertaking (with all the supplements) will impact all other game systems creating a "potential" for more "soon" opportunities and impacting the "other soon elements" that have been languishing in the "soon" box for the Content market to resolve .
In terms of UI functionality, anything that's generically applicable and appears for one system in HLO will be available for every other system, at least in basic form. For a "apply adjustments to other group members" screen, for example, the UI wouldn't really care what the game system is - it would know that the current game system's configuration says to use table XXXXXX for temporary adjustments and to use template file /YYYYYY/ZZZZZZ.xml to populate the details/configuration view those adjustments, and everything else would be it automatically pulling and cross-referencing the table information and the UI components that the template file is compiled into automatically using whatever pieces of game system data and API connections they need (all of which is happening right now for Starfinder).

For example, in the current HLO beta, if you view the details for a spell or skill, that's not hardcoded anywhere in the web UI. It's actually using an XML file and dynamically turning that into a set of components, which then pull in locally cached character data as appropriate and communicate with our HLO API running on the server to make any changes.

And, hey, if we had been making HLO just for Starfinder, the beta would have been available a lot quicker.

Quote:
The only part of HL that has be modified for Pathfinder to go to HLO is the UI. That is it. Just like the UI had to be updated/converted for the iPad. Pathfinder and HL didn't come to a stop just because it came out for the iPad and it won't stop for HLO either.
Actually, there will be some game system changes for PF, but they shouldn't be too bad. Most of it will be converting existing things to use the new option set system, which allows substantially simplifying how some ability sets and configurables work, and lets us do more "magic" with inserting new ability sets inline with other configuration rather than desktop HL's need for new tabs for configurables.

There's also the new UI templates, but (as ShadowChemosh has already gotten a peek at in a different thread) that will be much, much easier than setting up the equivalent in desktop HL ever was, since all the hard layout stuff happens automatically in the components the client compiles the UI into.

Quote:
Generally, LWD responds but only when the pot is nearly boiling over. (In general, Ian, Joe, Liz, Rob, and BJ for a moment have all had a turn at quelling those fires).
This is an unfortunate side effect of everybody being busy all the time forever, which itself is mostly because of RW being an endless stack of more work always needing to be done. There's definitely progress being made on that point (for example, see the new account management server for both RW and HLO, which also is a part of how Content Market content will be added/managed), but the iceberg effect that goes along with server-based anything ("what you see is only the very top of it") means the vast majority of that work is invisible to the end user right now.

Last edited by Ian; January 20th, 2018 at 12:20 AM.
Ian is offline   #279 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 20th, 2018, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Humm, "Hate" is abit strong... more like jaded disappointment at years of "soon" with little to show for it.

And I do appreciate the info on HLO (for the community as a whole, I really don't have a use for HLO but always have a use for your insight.. Especially HL code), but it's unfortunate that it has to come this way than for LWD to provide support to those community questions, with similar / timely answers. Generally, LWD responds but only when the pot is nearly boiling over. (In general, Ian, Joe, Liz, Rob, and BJ for a moment have all had a turn at quelling those fires).

But even at that, I do understand they are reluctant due to the barrage of questions that would certainly follow, but LWD owns a part of that by creating the culture of silence in the first place.

To steer back on thread, All still waits for the progress of the content market and how that will move both on (and offline) Realmworks & Herolab in the (hopefully) not to distant future.

My two CP
DLG
BJ, having been promoted to VP, has stated her goal to improve communications. She has hired a new communications manager just for this purpose. I imagine he's still being trained and brought up to speed.

I'm expecting to see more and better communication in the near future.
EightBitz is offline   #280 Reply With Quote