Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

PhilAdams

Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:06 PM
Am I missing something, or is there some license limit that keeps things like Thieves' Tools from showing up in the skills list on the character sheet? Without those showing up, you have to manually calculate the bonus, which sort of defeats the purpose of tracking things on a character sheet.
PhilAdams is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:38 PM
Thieves' tools appear in the SRD. They also appear in Hero Lab 5e both as a tool set for which you can take proficiency, and as gear you can add to your character.

The mere possession of thieves' tools doesn't give you your character any bonus to anything. They also have to be used in the correct situation. The SRD page 71 says, "Proficiency with these tools lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to disarm traps or open locks."

Generally speaking, this is accomplished with a Dexterity check (plus proficiency bonus if your character is proficient with thieves' tools and possesses them and is using them). I'm not sure what approach would be feasible to automate calculation of this situation. It wouldn't really be feasible to add a flat +2 bonus to a character's Dexterity checks if he is proficient with thieves' tools and possesses them. There are so many other things that Dexterity checks are used for.

It's just one of these things you have to remember when the correct situation arises.
CNYGamer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
PhilAdams

Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:08 PM
Right. Thieves Tools is a skill in that you have proficiency using the tools. In Fantasy Grounds, you can add skills to the list to accommodate things like this, Alchemist, etc. The character I was trying to input is a rogue with expertise (2 x proficiency) in using Thieves Tools. There really needs to be the ability to add these into the skills section.
PhilAdams is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:05 PM
You can add new skills through the editor fairly easily.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:26 PM
I think I know the issue - thieves tools proficiency from Rogue class does not appear on the character sheet. Tool proficiency from background appears, however, but only as a text item, not a skill check entry. I'd spotted it, but wanted to reproduce the problem in a different class before bug reporting, but it isn't high on the priority list for my game this weekend...
Elindor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote