Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
It'll be sourced separately to distinguish between contributers!
Sigh. Its not a war guys.

Great so we just end up with 25 different sources that all mean the exact same thing? I am not sure how that will help the community. Personally I feel that names should be left off of Sources unless its your own specific House Rules or something.

What I am thinking is that I will put together a Additional Set of sources, ie .1st files, that will contain all these additional Sources like Tome of Horrors and stuff. That way we have a more centralized list of sources we can use. Guess I am just tired and not really sure what I should do about this.......

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #181 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:46 AM
So attached to this post is a zip file with three .1st files in it. These control new Source Headers and should hopefully help to standardize the books needed by the community.
  • PFRPG_3PP_Sources.1st - Has the following books: Kobold Quarterly, 3.5 Converted Books, Paizo Modules, Frog God Games, Paizo Fans United.
  • PFRPG_Bestiary_Sources.1st - Has the following books all under Users->Hero Lab Community: Advanced Bestiary, Book of Fiends, Tome of Horrors.
  • PFRPG_SGG_Sources.1st - Has a single parent source under Users called "Super Genius Games". This was done separate from the 3PP stuff as this file already existed and in use in the community.

I have attached a pair of Images also showing the Configure Your Hero with ALL the sources in use and only the Bestiary one is use for this project.

My thought is everyone downloads and use these .1st file and attach your sources to these more generic ones. That way we are all doing the same sources.

Though at the same time don't forget ALL your stuff should be source marked to the Correct AP. You can source to MORE than one book also. So if your monster is both Carrion Crown and Tome of Horrors source mark to BOTH and that way if the gamer selects EITHER source the monster will be available.

If I am missing any we should add right now let me know.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Noname.jpg (74.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Noname2.jpg (79.0 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip PFRPG_Sources.zip (1.3 KB, 14 views)

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #182 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Sigh. Its not a war guys.
I know and I'm not intending to start one, I merely pointed out the alternative I would be adopting. One officially named source per datafile is better than many sources.

As you've already created the universal source files then it's all good!
bodrin is offline   #183 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I agree. But maybe i am missing something. I thought we were assigning sources to a single location. for instance my Kingmaker stuff i am assigning to the Kingmaker source and nothing else.

Would it be better for combining the files if i were to do a different source method? i am open for ideas. My thought process was that if they are playing Kingmaker then they would select the Kingmaker source in order to unlock all the content for it.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #184 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
I agree. But maybe i am missing something. I thought we were assigning sources to a single location. for instance my Kingmaker stuff i am assigning to the Kingmaker source and nothing else.

Would it be better for combining the files if i were to do a different source method? i am open for ideas. My thought process was that if they are playing Kingmaker then they would select the Kingmaker source in order to unlock all the content for it.
In theory yes, however in the Council of Thieves there are a number of Advanced Bestiary templates and some Tome of Horrors creatures, so I will source them too the AP Council of thieves and the original content source, however if the original content is source marked as XXXX_custom_conversion_by_XXXX then I don't bother sourcing them to the incorrectly identified source I make a new source tag that states Tome of Horrors Complete or Advanced Bestairy then mark the custom content with the AP source and the correctly named original content source.

So if your Kingmaker files contained some Purple duck OGL monsters I'd expect a note in the author comments stating that, and the source marked to both Kingmaker and Purple Duck, not Purple Duck custom content created by Chiefweasel!
bodrin is offline   #185 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
In theory yes, however in the Council of Thieves there are a number of Advanced Bestiary templates and some Tome of Horrors creatures, so I will source them too the AP Council of thieves and the original content source, however if the original content is source marked as XXXX_custom_conversion_by_XXXX then I don't bother sourcing them to the incorrectly identified source I make a new source tag that states Tome of Horrors Complete or Advanced Bestairy then mark the custom content with the AP source and the correctly named original content source.

So if your Kingmaker files contained some Purple duck OGL monsters I'd expect a note in the author comments stating that, and the source marked to both Kingmaker and Purple Duck, not Purple Duck custom content created by Chiefweasel!
oh oh I want to be cool and do +1!!!!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #186 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Something else I want to point out just in case it has slipped by:

If Paizo converted a Tome of Horrors monster for use in an AP or Bestiary, the new entry in the Tome of Horrors Complete (Pathfinder Edition) is a separate conversion done by Frog God Games. As such, they should be two entries, each sourced to the appropriate book.

Which means that Paizo conversions in the AP should be sourced only to the AP (I would think) as the Tome of Horrors version may well be quite different, and sourcing one to both books could confuse people who have both and expect them to be different.
Silveras is offline   #187 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
If Paizo converted a Tome of Horrors monster for use in an AP or Bestiary, the new entry in the Tome of Horrors Complete (Pathfinder Edition) is a separate conversion done by Frog God Games. As such, they should be two entries, each sourced to the appropriate book.
Correct and agree.

If you look at one of the pics I have you see that the Source we will be using is "User Content->Hero Lab Community->Tome of Horrors" which should make it pretty clear that these are from the community and should not get confused by an official version.

Plus the description of the "Tome of Horrors" source I set as "Tome of Horrors by Necromancer games convert to Pathfinder by the community." which hopefully again separates any official Pathfinder version put out by Frog God Games (if HL does that as I have no clue).

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #188 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Something else I want to point out just in case it has slipped by:

Which means that Paizo conversions in the AP should be sourced only to the AP (I would think) as the Tome of Horrors version may well be quite different, and sourcing one to both books could confuse people who have both and expect them to be different.
So far I have compared the AP's ToH creatures with the original ToH Necromancer source and the PFRPG Frog God ToH Complete release and they have all been exact apart from a few minor skill rank discrepancies and the D20 V3.5 and Pathfinder terminology!

So I'd be prepared to place my vote with the Frog God version being the more recent source to use!

P.s

Just a small observation you've put Tome of Horros instead of Horrors in the screenshots below!

Last edited by bodrin; November 12th, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
bodrin is offline   #189 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Just a small observation you've put Tome of Horros instead of Horrors in the screenshots below!
LOL yea guess I forgot to update the screen pics after I found that error. But the .1st files in the zip are correctly spelled. Or should be...

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #190 Reply With Quote