Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2014, 08:51 PM
You can upgrade Hero lab itself to 5.0, but DO NOT UPGRADE the 4e Data files to the 5.0 ones as they will essentially be unable to load at all.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old March 28th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I wish that the HL folks would just incorporate Daphne's changes word for word into the HL release... at least that way all the work us volunteers have done making HL function properly in 4e wouldn't be wasted.

cryptoknight is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Daphne Pfister

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I'll try to take a look this weekend. But make no promises on a fix as I have not idea what's changed etc. yet. ( And yes I wish they would as well. Again I give full permission to incorporate my changes, and I don't even care if I'm credited or what not. )
Daphne Pfister is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately, it's not a question of whether we WANT to include Daphne's changes. It's a question of whether we LEGALLY CAN include them. Alas, without a formal license from Wizards, we can't, so that leaves us stuck with no good option.

I'll flag the issues with the 4E data files directly to the Hero Lab team in case they aren't yet aware of the problem.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Rob, don't you mean Hasbro? Wizards is a subsidiary of the corporate entity fully as far as I know.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old March 29th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Rob,

I don't understand why the framework that Daphne did to support Themes is any different than the rest of the framework that supports things like classes, feats, powers, etc within the 4e ruleset. We don't need the actual themes, that's my website. Just the framework.

cryptoknight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
Rob,

I don't understand why the framework that Daphne did to support Themes is any different than the rest of the framework that supports things like classes, feats, powers, etc within the 4e ruleset. We don't need the actual themes, that's my website. Just the framework.
Cryptoknight, I believe he mentioned legality in his reply. The problem is that 4e is an unlicensed product. LWD is a small company and doesn't want to get into any legal battles with a corporate giant like Hasbro over what they can or can't add to their data. If the themes are not part of the compendium, then it could be a legal issue because the raw data has to be input by a 3rd party... Without a license, you're in a very gray area.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Daphne Pfister

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Unfortunately, it's not a question of whether we WANT to include Daphne's changes. It's a question of whether we LEGALLY CAN include them. Alas, without a formal license from Wizards, we can't, so that leaves us stuck with no good option.
Understandable. I tried to make sure that my changes were generic and didn't include any themes ( besides a sample theme called sample with sample powers etc. ) in the frameworks themselves. But I can understand avoiding even that.

Quote:
I'll flag the issues with the 4E data files directly to the Hero Lab team in case they aren't yet aware of the problem.
Awesome, I've already seen some of the flags in the other thread. ( I have a local git repo that I keep my changes in, so it should be relatively easy for me to compare what has changed. )

Last edited by Daphne Pfister; March 29th, 2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: removed stay word
Daphne Pfister is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Daphne Pfister

Old March 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM
FYI I've posted an update of my tweaks in a new thread.
Daphne Pfister is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kouen922

Old March 29th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I've been having an issue with the themes, even before the latest update. When I select a theme (specifically the 'Noble Adept' theme from cryptoknight), the power and extra power point aren't shown on the character sheet. Is there any way to fix this?
kouen922 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote