Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Making good progress. Finding out my whole rewrite of the Rogue class is a bit of a pickle, but I am solving that problem, just painstaking. Essentially, besides sneak attack at every odd level, the Rogue gets Trapfinding and every even level gives a special ability (this includes evasion, improved evasion, uncanny dodge, many of the 10th level specials, etc.), some of which require prerequisites. The Rogue becomes more about specializing in a specific area, rather than a strict template. But like Domains, Special Abilities are custom and have to be worked from the outside in, but I've got it down it seems.

I may have a solution for Extra Slot and Extra Spell after a bit of brainstorming earlier this morning. Not sure if it will work, but I'm going to give it a try tonight and see if I can get it to work. I'll keep you updated.
Kendall-DM is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Ok, I've painted myself into another corner. I am making a new Rogue from scratch, which gets a Special Ability every even level (2, 4, 6, ...), and I am trying to use the Special Ability mechanic that is already in place on the Rogue. Unfortunately, I believe some stuff is hard-coded, so I have to find out if this is feasible. I've been weeding through tags and looking for specific instances, but with the way Special Abilities work, I can't tell what is giving the Special Ability and what isn't. I can assign Custom Abilities to be Special Abilities for the Rogue as they show up in the list, but I can't chose them when I want to.

Is there a tag that can be assigned to give a Rogue more Special Abilities?

Is there a way to change at what level the Rogue receives those special abilities?
Kendall-DM is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
No ideas? Nobody knows? It can't be done? No help... . Still plowing through the tags and fields, but can't find anything .

EDIT: Ugh, nevermind. I was completely ignoring the custom ability count. I swear, it's the obvious stuff I overlook completely. No worries now.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; February 18th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
BPIJonathan

Old March 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Ok, I have read this entire thread and I am probably missing something obvious. I have collapsed the skills in my d20 games, basically removing about 12 skills in favor of about 5. I want to have characters in the build that will be built with the new skills. Is there a way to have them replace the skills that are autoloaded? Also am I correct in assuming that I am going to have to modify each class to reflect the new skills? I have read the HLWiki and the editing site, redirected from the authoring kit. Its possible I am just being ignorant and missing something. Any help would be most appreciated.

Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com | "Imagination will take us to worlds that never where. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
That sounds about right. but it might be easier to copy the 3.5 system and rename it to something else. then make the mods to all the skills there. it would be like having a test environment.

i have had to do the same for of thing for a Pathfinder version of DragonStar i am working on.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
BPIJonathan

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
That sounds about right. but it might be easier to copy the 3.5 system and rename it to something else. then make the mods to all the skills there. it would be like having a test environment.

i have had to do the same for of thing for a Pathfinder version of DragonStar i am working on.
I did that, thanks for the suggestion. This way I can change what I need, and eliminate what I dont want and not have to foul up the original game mode. When I get done just create all the characters from the modified game mode.

Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com | "Imagination will take us to worlds that never where. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Currently swamped, but I'll tell you what I ended up doing. I made a class variant of each class, and in that you can remove skills from Class Skills add what you want to be Class Skills. This is what I did, except I didn't collapse my skills, so I'm not sure how I'd go about that. I did exactly the same as chiefweasel suggested, I duplicated my d20 system and made changes to it without touching the main d20 files. I've got my skills doing exactly what I needed, which is three-tiered Class Skills (1 for 1, max HD +3), Cross-Class Skills (2 for 1, max [HD+3]/2), a General Skill (1 for 1, max [HD+3]/2). Those kind of a changes could have broke my d20 files with all the altering and testing I did, so a duplicate set of files is always a good way to start testing and trying out new ideas. With the exception of a few special cases (which I believe I will at some point find a solution to) I've got my system jumping through hoops.
Kendall-DM is offline   #107 Reply With Quote