Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

johnnybevil

Old January 26th, 2020, 08:10 AM
Curious if there are still folks playing 4E, or trying to... we've been playing since 2008'ish. WotC has killed off the ancient CB silver-light app finally, woe is us and a pox on them. This is not intended to start a flame war over the merits of one system over another! Just like everyone chooses their vehicle for their own reasons (Ford! Chevy! Mazda! Tesla!) its all perception and preference. I'm hoping to get some help with transitioning out of the online Character Builder and to Lone Wolf for my groups characters. I've owned Wolf Lair software for probably 7+ years (I forget when I bought the licenses I own).
johnnybevil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
beast013

Old February 16th, 2020, 06:53 PM
We're still playing 4th edition in spite of the death of the character builder. I've had Hero Labs for years. Now leaning on it as the new character builder. I keep checking the fan-based support site but it seems to have dwindled. I think we need to get 4th edition users of Hero Lab involved and posting.

There are tweaks that need to be made to the data files. A group effort would be helpful to keep the 4e flame alive.
beast013 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 17th, 2020, 09:07 AM
We are playing the 4e version of Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution with sessions every other week; three of the players are using Hero lab for our characters and the GM also has it so he can check our portfolios (though he uses other tools for himself).

We have been fixing/implementing things that impact our characters, and adding the Zeitgeist-related material we need.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old February 18th, 2020, 01:00 PM
Emphatically yes! My group still play 4e as our edition of choice, and have been using HeroLab for years because it's the easiest builder to get all our homebrew content into. That also means I'm perpetually knee-deep in fixing HL's 4e scraper errors (we share those over on hl4e.cryptoknight.org), but... such is life

Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor
Fox Lee is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 18th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Truthfully, I only remember to look at the CryptoKnight site every month or two, but I check in here daily.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CastleAnthrax

Old March 8th, 2020, 02:42 PM
The only game available to me is 4th, sadly. We've been trying to find a character builder, and the demo has 4E, but there's no listing of it anywhere else on the site. How do I use the program?
Also, we're finding a lot of errors and omissions. My sweetie is running a sword mage, and can't get all his skills to appear. I'm running an Elementalist sorceress, and her class doesn't seem to be in there at all.
We'd love options.
CastleAnthrax is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 27th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Oh, I somehow missed this post

Full access to the 4e files is gotten by purchasing the Authoring Kit game system package (which as a bonus will also give you access to Savage Worlds). I'm not sure what you get in demo mode, but once you have full access you'll probably want to go into Configure Hero and turn on pretty much all the sources.

If you want to try out our group's unofficial bugfix update to the official system, there's a post here with our latest version.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Wyldsong

Old April 11th, 2020, 03:15 PM
**Deleted**

Last edited by Wyldsong; April 14th, 2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Can't delete the post...
Wyldsong is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old April 17th, 2020, 08:09 PM
I have been finishing a master's degree so I have been away for some time now. BUT YES my group has never stopped playing 4E and the majority of us this is the system for us!
So much so that my group runs every year at GenCon to sold-out tables.
This Year brings a 4-5 year GenCon campaign to a conclusion!
We, mostly all, use HL as our character system but there are some issues, that When I can I try and fix!
SAbel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
tzunder

Old December 19th, 2020, 04:42 AM
I have had 4e on my shelf for ages.
I never played it, but I realised when playing 13th Age how key it was to the development of the game and have been dipping into the Monster Manual.
Well a friend decided to buy 4e and now he's all up for a campaign, so I may be playing it after all!
tzunder is offline   #10 Reply With Quote