Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Card Vault Forums > Card Vault

Notices

corbettcj

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Are you still supporting L5R with Card Vault? I talked a few people in my play group into buying Card Vault and now your not supporting it. What is the deal?

Chris
corbettcj is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
At 07:41 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Are you still supporting L5R with Card Vault? I talked a few people in my play group into buying Card Vault and now your not supporting it. What is the deal?
Here's the scoop....

After years of supporting L5R ourselves, we ran into increasing problems with (a) getting the spoiler data from AEG and (b) developing accurate data files due to all the complexities and nuances of L5R (we don't have an L5R expert in-house any longer). One of AEG's playtesters offered to take over the authoring process, so we set him up with everything. He put out (I think) two new releases. Then he went dark. Attempts to contact him since then have gone without response.

Where we are today is as follows:

1. We have to obtain all of the spoiler data from AEG. While this may seem easy, it assumes that AEG actually has all the spoiler data in an accurate format available to give us. This has been a source of great difficulty in the past.

2. There are multiple sets that we'll need to obtain to get fully caught up. This includes the sets that the previous author had done. The reason is that everything is run through a conversion program that we developed for L5R. Since we don't have the input data for those sets, we'll have to do them ourselves again.

3. Once we get the spoiler data, it needs to be canonicalized into a standard format. I don't believe we ever received more than two sets from AEG in the same format, so this entails a lot of cleanup work on our part.

4. All of the data for the two sets done by the outside author needs to be manually adjusted before they are run through the conversion program. We have to ensure that the generated files will be compatible with the files previously produced by the author, lest everyone's saved inventory and decks get corrupted.

5. Any new mechanics and/or changes introduced to L5R by AEG in the past few sets need to be accommodated within the data files. I have no idea if there were any. However, when they have occurred in the past with L5R, the time required to accommodate them has been significant (i.e. days of works).

So the net result is that, in a best case scenario, getting the L5R data files updated will takes us about a full week to complete. In a more realistic scenario, it could easily be two weeks of work, and possibly much more. Given that we are up to our eyeballs with the recent release of Hero Lab, two weeks represents a HUGE derailment of resources. And, to top it off, there are unfortunately very few L5R players using CV (according to our data file download statistics). :-(

That's the reality we're faced with. If you were in our position, what would you recommend?

I've got something in mind, but I'd appreciate hearing additional suggestions before putting it into action.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Number3

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Any word? How well do files made in CV Edit work with your conversion process you are talking about?
Number3 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:06 AM
At 07:35 PM 2/22/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Any word? How well do files made in CV Edit work with your conversion process you are talking about?
Given the lack of any responses to my previous post, it doesn't appear that there is a high level of interest among users in getting the L5R files working. That's not good. :-(

The conversion process was designed to use the information we always received from AEG as input. Consequently, the converter assumes it's input is a comma-delimited text file with a specific set of fields. The fields in the text file do NOT match those used in teh CV data files, so it would not be possible to enter the data into CV data files and then convert it. This is an unfortunate result of AEG having a specific way of providing the data and our adapting to that method.

-Rob
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
quixote

Old March 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Rob: I haven't had a response from you to the PM I sent you about this:

>Subject: L5R card database Received: Feb 20, 2007 - 09:34 AM Perhaps I could help with the L5R card database.
>
>I run websune, which I believe you guys used for your initial L5R import (Ed Bolme contacted me at the time).
>
>Since I've been parsing the latest sets, I have the data and can dump it out into whatever form you need for your scripts.
>
>What I'd want for the work is a link to the revised Imperial Auction Block (http://imperialblock.com), and maybe some occasional plugs from time to time.
>
>Anyway, send me the info on what format you want it in to feed to your scripts.
quixote is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM
At 08:24 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Rob: I haven't had a response from you to the PM I sent you about this:

>Subject: L5R card database Received: Feb 20, 2007 - 09:34 AM Perhaps I could help with the L5R card database.
>
>I run websune, which I believe you guys used for your initial L5R import (Ed Bolme contacted me at the time).
>
>Since I've been parsing the latest sets, I have the data and can dump it out into whatever form you need for your scripts.
>
>What I'd want for the work is a link to the revised Imperial Auction Block ( http://imperialblock.com), and maybe some occasional plugs from time to time.
>
>Anyway, send me the info on what format you want it in to feed to your scripts.
I use email exclusively for monitoring our forums. Consequently, I only check my PMs about once a month. The last time was mid-February. So that explains why I never got back to you. I hadn't seen this until checking the email queue now.

The original set of data we utilized was the data developed and maintained by Kuni Tetsu. He put together the initial L5R files and shepherded them for quite awhile, then his plate got too full and he handed them off to us. That's when we wrote the converter. The converter works on two separate formats, since the data from Kuni Tetus is different from the format we got from AEG. Then AEG regularly changed the format on us, just to make our lives more interesting.

I'll send you everything that I last sent to Kevin when he volunteered to take over the L5R files. You can take a look at how it's all setup and see what you can do to provide us with comparable data for the missing sets. And if it looks straightforward enough, you can even try running stuff through on your own to see if it all works.

We don't have any links on the main page of our website, but we can absolutely get your site added on the page with other key sites relating to the collectible games.

Look for that email shortly....

-Rob
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
corbettcj

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 07:35 PM 2/22/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Given the lack of any responses to my previous post, it doesn't appear that there is a high level of interest among users in getting the L5R files working. That's not good. :-(

-Rob
Part of the problem is that most of the L5R users that I know gave up on using Card Vault after then bought it because the updates are no longer happening. I have done 2 sets manually but typing it all it with no converstion process really sucks. Have you tried contacting AEG latly about getting the spoilers?

Chris
corbettcj is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
quixote

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:26 AM
Well.. I ran my Kotei/gaming convention this weekend, so I have a chance to catch up on everything else. I may have a line on getting stuff from AEG again (extorting Todd with an l5R cap that I picked up several of a couple years ago, and he had never picked one up).

We should see some updates shortly from me. Sorry for being so slow on them, but several things came up in the last little bit. (Hosting an aikido seminar, my house flooding - twice, and running my own kotei and gaming convention).
quixote is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
With the new samurai release coming out I hope that CV will be supporting L5R again.
SAbel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kuni_tetsu
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via Yahoo to kuni_tetsu Send a message via Skype™ to kuni_tetsu

Old July 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
--- SAbel <SAbel@woh.rr.com> wrote:

> With the new samurai release coming out I hope that CV will be supporting L5R
again.

It all depends if AEG is willing to provide the information on the set or not.
Otherwise it is going to be up to players to compile the data themselves. You
don't expect Rob to buy enough boxes of packs to build a complete set by
himself, are you?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
kuni_tetsu is offline   #10 Reply With Quote