Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

ibecker

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:39 PM
(I thought I had seen this mentioned before, but after searching a bit, I didn't find it - I apologize if this has already appeared in the forum.)

I often find myself entering multiple subsections with identical structures into a Topic. Currently, we can only define an optional custom section by its header, and it only appears in the "Add Section => Above/Below This One => Custom Section" list until it is added once. Thus if there is a section structure that appears more than once in a given part of a Topic, it must be added by hand every time after the first. It would be nice if we could define the custom section by a separate label, and then add the section an arbitrary number of times, with different section names each time in the Topic.

As a simple example, for those familiar with GURPS:
An advantage (e.g. "Allies") might have several different optional enhancements (e.g. "Minion", "Summonable", etc.). Each enhancement has a name (the subsection title), a point cost adjustment (numerical snippet), and a description (text snippet).

Currently, for each enhancement to a given advantage, I have to add a custom section, then a custom numerical snippet, then a custom text snippet, and only then fill in the data. It would be nice if I could, in my "GURPS: Advantage" category, add a repeatable subsection labelled "Enhancement", that would add the blank subsection (with an empty heading) and the two snippets, so I could then just fill in the name of the section and the data, and then do the same for the next enhancement to the same advantage.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecker View Post
(I thought I had seen this mentioned before, but after searching a bit, I didn't find it - I apologize if this has already appeared in the forum.)

I often find myself entering multiple subsections with identical structures into a Topic. Currently, we can only define an optional custom section by its header, and it only appears in the "Add Section => Above/Below This One => Custom Section" list until it is added once. Thus if there is a section structure that appears more than once in a given part of a Topic, it must be added by hand every time after the first. It would be nice if we could define the custom section by a separate label, and then add the section an arbitrary number of times, with different section names each time in the Topic.

As a simple example, for those familiar with GURPS:
An advantage (e.g. "Allies") might have several different optional enhancements (e.g. "Minion", "Summonable", etc.). Each enhancement has a name (the subsection title), a point cost adjustment (numerical snippet), and a description (text snippet).

Currently, for each enhancement to a given advantage, I have to add a custom section, then a custom numerical snippet, then a custom text snippet, and only then fill in the data. It would be nice if I could, in my "GURPS: Advantage" category, add a repeatable subsection labelled "Enhancement", that would add the blank subsection (with an empty heading) and the two snippets, so I could then just fill in the name of the section and the data, and then do the same for the next enhancement to the same advantage.

-Ian
To me, this seems like kind of a backwards way to go about it. I would create the enhancements as separate topics. You can even create a custom category for them. With GURPS, for example, I would add each advantage and disadvantage as its own topic. Then, in the character to whom it applies, I would create one snippet with the name of the enhancement, and any details to clarify variables.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old April 14th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
To me, this seems like kind of a backwards way to go about it. I would create the enhancements as separate topics. You can even create a custom category for them. With GURPS, for example, I would add each advantage and disadvantage as its own topic. Then, in the character to whom it applies, I would create one snippet with the name of the enhancement, and any details to clarify variables.
I've actually done a combination of these things:
- Each Advantage/Disadvantage is its own topic
- Each generally-applicable Enhancement/Limitation is its own topic, referenced by name where applicable
- Each "captive" Enhancement/Limitation (one that applies specifically to one particular Advantage/Disadvantage) is listed as I described before, in the topic of the Advantage/Limitation to which it applies

It's that last one which I would like to be easier, by allowing predefinition of repeatable subsections.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old February 11th, 2019, 12:58 PM
+1 to this idea.
JustinThomason is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 11th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Funny, I was going to make a post requesting this last night, but got lazy.

I created a custom topic called "Downtime Activity". All downtime activities allowed in my campaign from the Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything have a subsection with fields applicable to those subsections.

I don't want the campaign time line cluttered with hundreds of downtime entries. I have on topic per character per downtime period. Problem is that for longer periods, their may be multiple weeks of a specific downtime activity. I would love to be able to just create a section for each instance. Instead I kludge but putting all roles and dates in a notes snippet and then just enter the totals in the fields. Example:

2019-02-11_17h30_09.jpg

I would rather have a new section to record each instance / week of an activity.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 11th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I think this looks like it could do with a feature request to allow certain items NOT to appear in the timeline :-)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old February 12th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Repeatable Custom Sections would be very useful, so:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I think this looks like it could do with a feature request to allow certain items NOT to appear in the timeline :-)
Indeed:

+1

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 12th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I'm in +1
Bidmaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote