Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Can you give me the entire script? I feel like there should be more to this that I'm not seeing.

Phase:Post-attributes Priority: 10000 Index: 3
~Modifier to account for additional Intelligence~~
hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value += round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)

Attached Images
File Type: png Gnarley SecretSign.PNG (178.3 KB, 26 views)

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Phase:Post-attributes Priority: 10000 Index: 3
hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value += round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)
Ok. What field are you trying to modify? Right now, it's aFinalVal on INT, which is likely not correct.

PS. I think you must be trying to add these two numbers together, which you can do with a variable:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserPts].value, 0, -1)
Then it's a matter of what you do with that number, which is what my question was alluding to.

Last edited by Sendric; September 21st, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
Sendric is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:34 AM
I presume the KUserPts?

We should be taking the total that the Intelligence attribute (instead of just the modifier by checking the box) lets say 12, and adding the Points in the Secret Sign Skill points assigned, lets say 6, totaling that number and dividing it by 2 to account for cross class skill to get the modifier.

(12+6)/2=9 ranks in the skill

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:41 AM
Quote:
I presume the KUserPts?

We should be taking the total that the Intelligence attribute (instead of just the modifier by checking the box) lets say 12, and adding the Points in the Secret Sign Skill points assigned, lets say 6, totaling that number and dividing it by 2 to account for cross class skill to get the modifier.

(12+6)/2=9 ranks in the skill
kUserPts = points spent in skill. this isn't a field you want to be modifying in general. I'm not even sure it's the field you want for finding your modifier. Assuming you want to add this modifier as a bonus, I would do this:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)

field[Bonus].value += bonus
Sendric is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:50 AM
Quote:
kUserPts = points spent in skill. this isn't a field you want to be modifying in general. I'm not even sure it's the field you want for finding your modifier. Assuming you want to add this modifier as a bonus, I would do this:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)

I thought about that but was under the impression that kuserranks was after all calculations took place for that skill which is why I attempted to go upstream to the points feeding it...
The script above is close, but does not cross class the intelligence points. Seems to add them down stream of the Cross Class Calculations...

So I just added a / 2 behind the aFinalVal Value and that seems to work

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:53 AM
Quote:
I thought about that but was under the impression that kuserranks was after all calculations took place for that skill which is why I attempted to go upstream to the points feeding it...
The script above is close, but does not cross class the intelligence points. Seems to add them down stream of the Cross Class Calculations...

So I just added a / 2 behind the aFinalVal Value and that seems to work
hmm.....looking more closely at it, I think you may have intended to do the /2 in the round equation, thusly:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + round(field[kUserRanks].value/2, 0, -1)

Otherwise, the equation "round(field[kUserRanks].value, 0, -1)" just equals "field[kUserRanks].value", making the round unnecessary.

PS. Check that. Based on your equation above ((12+6)/2=9), it should be:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus/2, 0, -1)

Last edited by Sendric; September 21st, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Sendric is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 21st, 2018, 10:10 AM
Quote:
hmm.....looking more closely at it, I think you may have intended to do the /2 in the round equation, thusly:

PS. Check that. Based on your equation above ((12+6)/2=9), it should be:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus/2, 0, -1)

Oddly when road testing it does as designed.. at first....
adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 as it should
adding 2 point gives the result 7 as it should
adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 as it should
adding 4 point gives the result 9 which is not as it should
adding 5 point gives the result 9 1/2 which is not as it should
adding 6 point gives the result 10 which is not as it should

Not sure where 8 went or what is causing the skip

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2018, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Oddly when road testing it does as designed.. at first....
adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 as it should
adding 2 point gives the result 7 as it should
adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 as it should
adding 4 point gives the result 9 which is not as it should
adding 5 point gives the result 9 1/2 which is not as it should
adding 6 point gives the result 10 which is not as it should

Not sure where 8 went or what is causing the skip
Yes, that's actually correct, which I will show below.

Incidentally, kUserRanks is already accounting for cross-class skill. Looking at the fields on the skill, I see the following when adding 8 points to the skill:

kUserPts = 8
kUserRanks = 4

This means we probably don't want to divide that number again, so I've modified the script to this:

Code:
var bonus as number
bonus = hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value/2 + field[kUserRanks].value
bonus = round(bonus, 0, -1)

As for the math, let's look at it this way:

User Points - User Ranks - Bonus - Total
1 - 0 - 6 - 6
2 - 1 - 7 - 8
3 - 1 - 7 - 8
4 - 2 - 8 - 10
5 - 2 - 8 - 10
6 - 3 - 9 - 12

User Points = total points applied to this skill by player
User Ranks = 1/2 User Points
Bonus = 1/2 INT score + User Ranks
Total = Bonus + Ranks

PS Sorry the table isn't cleaner. Let me know if it's confusing.

Last edited by Sendric; September 21st, 2018 at 10:45 AM.
Sendric is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:34 AM
Not really sure what you guys are doing.

I'm assuming that the Gnarley Secret Sign is actually a skill, correct?

Then this line kinda bugs me.

Code:
Taking the kUserRanks from the skill, and then adding them back into the skill total, seems to add half of its ranks back in again.

This code probably only needs to add half the INT into the bonus, and nothing more than that. There is no need to round if the kUserRanks are already cross class.

Code:
field[Bonus].value += hero.child[aINT].field[aFinalVal].value/2
Therefore, with an Intelligence of 12/2 returning 6, we get the following:
  • adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 (6 + 1/2 rank)
  • adding 2 point gives the result 7 (6 + 1 rank)
  • adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 (6 + 1 1/2 rank)
  • adding 4 point gives the result 8 (6 + 2 rank)
  • adding 5 point gives the result 8 1/2 (6 + 2 1/2 rank)
  • adding 6 point gives the result 9 (6 + 3 rank)

I believe this is what you are trying to get to, or am I misunderstanding this?
Kendall-DM is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post

Therefore, with an Intelligence of 12/2 returning 6, we get the following:
  • adding 1 point gives the result 6 1/2 (6 + 1/2 rank)
  • adding 2 point gives the result 7 (6 + 1 rank)
  • adding 3 point gives the result 7 1/2 (6 + 1 1/2 rank)
  • adding 4 point gives the result 8 (6 + 2 rank)
  • adding 5 point gives the result 8 1/2 (6 + 2 1/2 rank)
  • adding 6 point gives the result 9 (6 + 3 rank)

I believe this is what you are trying to get to, or am I misunderstanding this?
*** Somewhat long winded response**
Kendall,
Yes, Spot on.... the intent is to make it a "language" that is applied as a skill.
As mentioned it originated as a 2e "language" with a % roll to determine success. While I "could" choose to say its all or none like a "druid secret language" I Was trying to remain faithful to the origins that had some degree of variable that could be modified with a greater degree of intelligence on the character's part AND bring that application to a usable mechanic in a D20 3.5 Rule structure.

This is the reasoning behind taking the 1/2 value of the whole of intelligence and not just the modifier (since origin applied the actual attribute number not just the bonus). This approach puts the character with an 18 in intelligence and NO additional skill points at slightly less than 50/50% chance in 3.5e just like 2e. (Base 30% +18= 40% for 2e vs Skill Ranks untrained (18/2=)9 vs DC20 (45% for 3.5e)) And then allows the player a chance to improve the skill with anything after allowing the character to improve their chance of success by adding ranks as a cross class for everyone EXCEPT a Ranger (which I will handle independent of this part of the code once it works).

The reason I employ "language" as a moniker is because it is how it was viewed originally in 2e AND I add some code to have it show up in Herolab on personal tab under the languages for the player out of convenience as a reminder it's there for use.

The snap shot provided below ( {text 00FF} )also adds some HTML color coding to the text descriptor that tells the player items in "Green" are not core rules but additional "homebrew or previous edition rules" not in 3.5e PHB.

**Sidebar not anything to do with this piece of code but bigger picture of why I'm doing this. **

Generally, IMC we take language knowledge to a progressive level. While you can learn a language, you also develop a degree of expertise in that language. So to Speak Quenya (a form of elven in our campaign) you gain a basic conversational understanding (in this case a Language>Quenya - Ranks[1] shows in skills to go along with the language itself in the personal tab.

This allows the character the ability to have some basic communication skills in the language, but not proficient in writing it or speaking without an accent. Mastery of reading and writing it is at [5] ranks in that language. For basic communication this is a non-impact other than some roleplay confusions to word choices at times.

But when it comes to writings, and ancient languages this really comes into play.

With bards, and scholars become far more valuable when going through old tomes and maps when ancient dialects have old forgotten languages. So mastery of base languages as a prerequisite to read them (with a reasonable DC), makes those classes invaluable to access special spells and lost info that might not be known to the less learned. Without the additional training in those language skills, the DC to read the item becomes increasingly difficult.

Hope that clarifies.

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #40 Reply With Quote