Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Happydevil43

Old February 20th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
Our group is, I suspect, one of many that has invested a lot of money in PF1 over the years. We have no desire to try, then invest heavily in a new system.
Our group is exactly the same. We calculated that at current progress rate, it will take us 23 years to go through all the available content. Considering most of us are nearly 50, we will be arguing over grapple rules for years to come yet.

I am the only GM in our group that uses RW and other digital tools... but the others are coming round, and as soon as the CM is available they may invest.

I have personally the next 4-6 years mapped out with my guys - Rise of the Runelords, Skulls and Shackles and Return of the Runelords... so I'm keen to see the CM.... thats a lot of data entry!.
Happydevil43 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Philderbeast

Old February 21st, 2019, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Speak for yourself. Many of us care very little for the CM and care greatly about almost everything else. I've long tried to convince LWD that the CM wasn't the revenue they were after. At this point all the Paizo stuff they've held up launching the CM is for a dead system. They could have launched the CM without Paizo and been bringing in whatever revenue they could while waiting for Paizo to get its own digital act together and at the very least giving their existing users, most of which are pretty obviously homebrew campaign builders, the features we want and need.
For every GM using it for homebrew, I would expect there is at least 1 GM that bought it for CM content, myself included. however this is not the point of this thread.

I have got to the point that I don't care what the updates are, just give us meaningful updates, not nothing updates that quite frankly are just part of maintaining the product. but fixes and relatively minor changes like moving to 64bit, at least from a general users point of view, are not the updates we are after.

Rob promised us weekly updates on what he was working on with Realm works, this is not happening.

Again I'm going to reiterate that I will be holding Rob and the rest of the lone Wolf team accountable for this product. If they cant start to deliver something as simple as a weekly forum post, I will be voting with my wallet and going elsewhere for my RPG tools, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

The Realm works Kick starter was in 2013, its now 2019 and the kick starter goals have still not been met. its time to either get serious about this project and start delivering, or call it a failure and learn from the mistakes that have been made.
Philderbeast is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 21st, 2019, 08:35 AM
I thought you were a coder? Migrating to 64 bit is the vital update upon which the survival of RW depended. Without it RW was doomed. It's performance was only going to get worse and worse as time went on. Assuming the CM eventually does go live people would inevitably put entire AP's plus supporting chunks of Golarion into a single realm and I can tell you from my own experience that 32 bit RW simply cannot handle that kind of load and be usable at the table. And from my own experience migrating a project from 32 bit to 64, even without any 3rd party library dependencies to deal, is never minor.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 21st, 2019, 08:42 AM
I danced over 64 bit. Literally. It's exactly what I wanted.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
ChipmunkPDX

Old February 21st, 2019, 09:26 AM
I know the original point of this thread was the lack of updates. I agree that the company should Post weekly even if it simply says no update. If they said they would add weekly, they should keep to it.

I also wanted to add that I will be buying a ton of PF stuff (classic) and I know many others who will as well. I think there is still plenty of demand. I have so much content that I don't plan on ever switching to the new version. I don't think they should have made it up to Paizo for the delay because I honestly think the true market is D&D 5e, but I also know there is a large PF community that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
ChipmunkPDX is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old February 21st, 2019, 10:49 AM
To be perfectly honest at the point in time when the CM finally hit the road I do think we all will find just 4 words for it:

"Too little, too late."

I personally doubt that there will be that much APs available neither from the start nor in any "near future" (I'm speaking in LWD near future time frames). There haven't been ANY new information about what APs or Modules would be available from the start. Even if they are not ready to launch it they at least have to know what things will be available for sure. If they launch will just that few things they previously announced, years ago, the massive reaction from everyone will be exactly that: Too little, too late.
Tharmiones is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 21st, 2019, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
If they launch will just that few things they previously announced, years ago, the massive reaction from everyone will be exactly that: Too little, too late.
Well, not everyone. Several of us in this very thread have remarked that we plan to make CM purchases. Even if it's only what they've already revealed - which I highly doubt - I'll be happy to see it (and buy it, too).

So again, and with respect, please don't speak for everyone without having factual knowledge of what everyone will say or do...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 21st, 2019, 12:36 PM
By this point they really should have all the PF bestiaries, which were very high in the survey of what people wanted back when they asked, plus all of the classic AP's RotRL, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Skull & Shackles and Shattered Star at least.

What I'd personally like to see, and I think a lot of the other homebrew sorts would as well, is small pieces like inns and taverns that are reasonably generic that can be dropped into a campaign and then further fleshed out by the GM. I just don't have the time to map out and create NPC's for every place where my PC's might start a bar brawl. Or even something like Hommlet from the module of the same name. A small reasonably generic village that can easily have adventure hooks added in. I'd pay a few bucks for that sort of stuff particularly if the maps were better than what I'm presently able to produce in CC3, which aren't very good I'm not very good.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old February 21st, 2019, 06:13 PM
Personally, I want to see CM come out but for multiple reasons. First, though I enjoy entering modules I don't always have time so it would be nice to get some already done.

Second, there is some information that can be entered into RW in different manners based on a person's interpretation. I'm curious to see how this was approached by various people/companies. Maybe I will get some insight from it or ideas.

Third, I know that some third-party companies invested in having realms made with their materials for the CM and would like to see a return on that investment.

After LW deals with the CM, bugs, and hopefully promised features (coughcaledars) I do think that if they have future cool ideas that they keep quiet until the unveiling. This will prevent the gnashing of teeth on both sides not to mention the torches & pitchforks. ;-)
ruhar is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 21st, 2019, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philderbeast View Post
Again I'm going to reiterate that I will be holding Rob and the rest of the lone Wolf team accountable for this product. If they cant start to deliver something as simple as a weekly forum post, I will be voting with my wallet and going elsewhere for my RPG tools, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.
Where are you going to go?

What a weird attitude. You decide whether a software product is worth using because of the frequency of development updates‽

If it doesn't meet your needs, then yes, move on to something that does. Better, don't buy something that doesn't currently meet your needs.

If it does meet your needs why would you stop using it because lack for forum updates?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #30 Reply With Quote