Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bidmaron

Old February 4th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Farling, can you explain your usage case? There is nothing stopping you from "reimporting" now
Bidmaron is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 4th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Farling, can you explain your usage case? There is nothing stopping you from "reimporting" now
All the snippets and topics need tagging with their own UUIDs which don't change from one import to another, otherwise all the existing snippets and topics will get duplicated by the second import.
Farling is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 4th, 2017, 11:00 AM
I know this is a bit convoluted, but if you exported the topics once you have them in RW, you would have the UUID...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
I know this is a bit convoluted, but if you exported the topics once you have them in RW, you would have the UUID...
You would then still need to match them back up to the original topics in the source XML :-o
Farling is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 4th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Farling what is your use case? You can export and reimport now
Bidmaron is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 4th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Farling what is your use case? You can export and reimport now
My use case is importing data from Obsidian Portal, where I am creating my own XML file to be imported. In this case I will have to create the UUIDs manually from some other uniqueness provided by Obsidian Portal (likely to be a hash of the URL of the thing being converted) so that a subsequent OP backup can be re-imported to update the existing data in the realm with the latest changes.

(Which is the whole point of this thread, import of our own data not export and import of RW data.)
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 4th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Hopefully Rob will answer the question if it is asked directly,

Can RW import an XML file if it was not created by RW but is in the correct form. We can surely provide some form of UUID's and signatures but they would not be what RW itself expects, obviously, unless LWD reveals how those are created.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 4th, 2017, 05:12 PM
What is to stop you from creating a bogus realm with a bunch of blank entries, exporting them and comandeeeing the uuids for import?

Last edited by Bidmaron; February 4th, 2017 at 08:53 PM.
Bidmaron is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Farling is working from a previous answer to that question. He asked previously if manually-created XML is possible to import. It is.

As I understand the present conversation:

The problem he has is that if he wants to re-extract from the same Obsidian Portal source later, he has no way to automatically put the uuids in place in the XML other than 1) exporting the imported data from Realm Works just to get the uuids and 2) manually updating the new extract from Obsidian Portal with the uuids so that imported records from the new extract are recognized as updates of the existing topics, and new duplicate ones are not created.
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Farling is working from a previous answer to that question. He asked previously if manually-created XML is possible to import. It is.

As I understand the present conversation:

The problem he has is that if he wants to re-extract from the same Obsidian Portal source later, he has no way to automatically put the uuids in place in the XML other than 1) exporting the imported data from Realm Works just to get the uuids and 2) manually updating the new extract from Obsidian Portal with the uuids so that imported records from the new extract are recognized as updates of the existing topics, and new duplicate ones are not created.
Could you link to that post I missed it.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote