Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Maidhc O Casain

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Is there a way to substitute the default language for intelligent items? I need to make a sword that speaks only Draconic.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 20th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Bump . . .
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:33 AM
Try assigning the Hero.NoDefComm to the weapon's container.
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ah . . . Thanks, Aaron!

But I just made the item using the Custom Weapon section of HL - no editor work involved. Are you saying that to do this I'll need to create the item in the editor first?

If that's the case, I think I can do it. But is there any way you guys could - in a future update - make a "No Common Language" option for intelligent items like you have in the Configure Hero box? It would be a nice option.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM
There is one difficulty in implementing the "No Common Language" house rule for intelligent items, as you suggest. Namely House rules like that are applied globally, so it'd be an all or nothing proposition. If you checked the house rule none of your weapons would come with common as a default. A better option would be to add an adjustment which lets you select a custom magic item that is intelligent and applies the tag to that one only. Or, if you'd prefer to do it differently you could make a new Intelligent Item power that costs nothing and have it assign the tag to its container.

Hope that helps.
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Or, if you'd prefer to do it differently you could make a new Intelligent Item power that costs nothing and have it assign the tag to its container.

Hope that helps.
This looks like the option I'd like to go with, but I can't figure out how to make it happen. Hints or a straight up walk-through, please?
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Even better - would it be possible to create a power that allows the replacement of Common as the default language with one of the user's choice?
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:20 AM
OK, I've been trying to track this down, and found this thread.

I applied the bootstrap detailed to an Intelligent Item Power, and it adds Draconic nicely - but it doesn't delete Common. I used the phase/timing specified by Matthias in that thread. Help?

This also lead me to another thought (mentioned above). Could this be used to allow the player to choose an alternate language from a box similarly to what the Linguistics skill does?

Still experimenting, but if anyone has suggestions they'd be very welcome!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm not having much luck here. I've tried looking at the Linguistics skill, but can't decipher what I need to pull from there. I've looked at the debug tags for Common and for other languages on characters that have them.

I did make a new mechanic for our house-ruled Living Pathfinder setting similar to the one in the earlier referenced thread, but we give a free regional language and don't eliminate the Common language. I'd love to do a dialogue box (like the Linguistics skill) for this as well as for the alternate intelligent item language.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM
The thread you referenced is for removing common from all races and replacing with a new one. Not exactly the same as here.

I did try out "Hero.NoDefComm" at a bunch of different timing and including First,10 and had no luck either with removing Common from the Int Weapon.

I found was that the Common on the int weapon is thingid.lCommon and not thingid.lCommonND. The difference being that lCommon only looks at the house rule sourced to not apply itself. Where thingid.lCommonND looks for Hero.NoDefComm. I am thinking that you would have to do a "Replaces Thing ID" on the "lCommon" language to have the "Containerreq" also look for the Hero.NoDefComm language.

Let me test that...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote