Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Remaker

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm trying to export a Pathfinder character to D20 Pro. I go to File->Out Extensions-> D20Pro Output

I'm then asked to supply a file name, but I always get a "The file name is not valid" error. Nothing I try works, not even the default name of 'character.'

I can't find anything in the manual about naming conventions. What do I have to do?
Remaker is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
There aren't any naming conventions , other than the regular windows ones - you should be able to use any name you like. I usually use the default name (character.hld20pro) when saving files, and that works great.

Are you running Hero Lab under Windows, or doing something unusual like running it under WINE?
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TBKenie

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I too am having problems exporting a Pathfinder character from Hero Lab v3.6a to D20 Pro v2.1.0. If I try to change the file name from the default "character.hld20pro," I get the same error message that Remaker gets. If I don't touch the file box and just save using the default name, Hero Lab saves a file. However, when I am in the D20 Pro program, when I try to import "character.hld20pro," I get the following error message "Unable to import from D:\Downloads\character.hld20pro
Unable to load document."

At this point, I haven't been able to determine whether the problem lies in Hero Lab's export or in D20 Pro's import function.
TBKenie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
TBKenie: Any file you exported from Hero Lab 3.6 would give that error - updating to HL3.6a should fix it.

If you change the filename to something short like "hello.xml", does that work? Or does that still give you an error in the "save file" dialog?

Also, what operating system are you using? It's possible the OS might make a difference here...
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TBKenie

Old May 13th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I am running 3.6a Hero Lab on Windows XP SP3 with the latest patches (as of 13 May 2010).

I can export using the D20 Pro extension if I don't change the default name OR if I add a ".xml" to the file name.

On a side note, according to a response in the D20Pro forums, something changed on their end (v2.1.0) so importing from Hero Labs is broken and the the devs are aware of the situation. I can't check the import from WotC's 4E character builder into D20Pro.
TBKenie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I just figured out what's happening here - if you have "Hide extensions for known file types" checked in the windows Folder Options, this problem happens. If you uncheck it, everything is fine. I'll see what I can do to fix this.

TBKenie: As far as I'm aware, HL3.6a should import correctly into d20pro now. Are you still having problems after updating to the latest version?
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TBKenie

Old May 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Colen: Thank you for the help on isolating one of the problems; the hide extensions in the windows folder option allows me to export from Hero Lab. Now if only I could get d20pro to import the file... (waiting for a fix on their end as apparently d20pro v2.1 is broken)
TBKenie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ogexam

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM
The fix for the d20Pro side is in testing right now and will be in release 2.1.1

There is still a few issues the Colen is working on for the Herolab side of the issue on some creatures that I cannot fix from the d20Pro side

Last edited by ogexam; May 17th, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
ogexam is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Thurgian

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogexam View Post
The fix for the d20Pro side is in testing right now and will be in release 2.1.1

There is still a few issues the Colen is working on for the Herolab side of the issue on some creatures that I cannot fix from the d20Pro side

FYI: I am the coder in d20Pro that does the importers.
Any chance this also incorporates 4e, or is this just generic HL to generic d20?

With the DDI update breaking everything, not having any (meaningful) way to add/update characters to D20 is beyond annoying.
Thurgian is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ogexam

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
DDI fix is in the patch coming out as well.

www.thecheesegrinder.com
www.d20Pro.com
ogexam is offline   #10 Reply With Quote