Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Olaf the Stout

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to Hero Lab. I was messing around with the program tonight, just creating some test characters when I encountered my first problem. When I create a Wizard character and I try and choose a race for my familiar I get the message "Nothing to choose from!".

After playing around with some options I discovered that if I checked the optional rule "Don't Restrict Companion Races" I can get to a selection screen for my familiar's race, but it does not show the usual options like Crow, Frog, Cat, etc.

I did a forum search and a Google search for this problem but came up empty. So what am I doing wrong?

Olaf the Stout
Olaf the Stout is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure. I'm getting the regular selection choices just fine, and I don't have the optional rule checked. This may have something to do with the community file if you have them installed, or you have some other optional rules checked, otherwise I don't know. I don't make use of the community files, though I have a directory with them and mine work fine.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Olaf the Stout

Old March 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if that may be the problem. I installed the Lawful_Good data set from Cheeseweasel's website as I my group makes use of quite a few of the 3.5E splatbooks.

Perhaps I overwrote the standard SRD familiars by accident as part of that process. I might try reinstalling and starting from scratch to double check that I'm not getting that issue with the base installation, then install each update and add-on to see where the problem may lie.

Olaf the Stout
Olaf the Stout is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Olaf the Stout

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ok, the problem occurs after I install the Lawful_Good community update. I tried adding a familiar with just the base Hero Lab installation and it worked fine. I was able to add a Rat familiar to a Wizard with no problem.

Then I added in the Lawful_Good communinty update and now it tells me there is "Nothing to choose from!" when I try to pick a race for the familiar.

Can anyone tell me why? I followed the instructions on the Cheeseweasel PDF document.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this issue happening to anyone else?

My group uses a lot of feats and spells from the various Complete books so it would make the program a lot more useful if I could access them.

Olaf the Stout

Last edited by Olaf the Stout; March 8th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Olaf the Stout is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Ok, I was able to reproduce this. I did it by unchecking all the user content in the configure window. This may be a bug, but if you check on Monster Manual as a source in your configure window (for the wizard), you should see all the race options are now available for your familiar.

Last edited by Sendric; March 8th, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Ok, I was able to reproduce this. I did it by unchecking all the user content in the configure window. This may be a bug, but if you check on Monster Manual as a source in your configure window (for the wizard), you should see all the race options are now available for your familiar.
The last update did accidentally mark ALL animals to the Monster Manual Source. This includes things like the Paladin's warhorse.

For now just make sure you activate the MM source.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Olaf the Stout

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks Sendric and ShadowChemosh. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. That sounds like it should solve the problem.

Olaf the Stout
Olaf the Stout is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Olaf the Stout

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Ok, I just tried adding the MM and it allows me to pick the various familiars. However, the bonuses don't seem to flow through to the PC's sheet now.

For example, chosing a Rat familiar doesn't add +2 to my Fortitude save, choosing a Toad doesn't give me +3 hit points, etc.

Any suggestions, or can anyone replicate this issue?

Olaf the Stout
Olaf the Stout is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Go to the In-Play tab on your Wizard. You should see two "charges" for your familiar. Various effects require your familiar to be within a certain distance. For instance, by checking "Within 1 mile" on, you'll get the +2 bonus to fortitude when you have a rat familiar.
Sendric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Olaf the Stout

Old March 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ok, that works. It must have been defaulted to within 1 mile in the previous update (when the familiars weren't in the MM) or something like that.

Thanks again.

Olaf the Stout
Olaf the Stout is offline   #10 Reply With Quote