Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Helvegr

Old March 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Just a little something that seems off. Using Skeleton warriors for example, they have an upgrade option for a spear for 1pt per model. With a spear and a shield they should lose the "Hand Weapon". They would only have a 5+ armor save. Not the 4+ offered from the hand weapon + shield if they didn't take the upgrade.
Helvegr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
gilvagor

Old March 6th, 2009, 03:12 AM
IIRC (I don't have the book infront of me) you can add the Spear for +1pt but they would still retain the hand weapon. Then you can choose which your going to use.
gilvagor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bordercount

Old March 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Correct. Adding spears does not remove the hand weapons. You ALWAYS have a hand weapon, unless something very specifically syas otherwise.
bordercount is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Helvegr

Old March 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Interesting. How often do you get to choose which to use? Per combat round? At the beginning of the game?
Helvegr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
karlhunt

Send a message via MSN to karlhunt Send a message via Yahoo to karlhunt

Old March 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvegr View Post
Interesting. How often do you get to choose which to use? Per combat round? At the beginning of the game?
At teh beginning of that close combat, that is to say, the turn when the combat was first initiated. Thereafter you must continue to use the selected weapon until such a time as the unit in question enters combat with an entierly new group of enemies.

For example, A unit of skeleton spearmen charge against a unit of orc boyz. Because they charged the second rank will not get to attack this round so I opt to use hand weapons and shields for the improved armor save. In the next round of combat I may not elect to switch to using spears because I have already drawn my hand weapons. After the orc unit has been destroyed by my superior skeletal troops (hey I'm a dreamer) I am charged by a unit of goblins. This initiates a new close combat and I may choose which weapon to use, I chose spears for the extra rank of attacks. The next round when a unit of trolls piles in I must continue to use my spears because I am still in combat with the unusually brave goblins.

Hope that helped.
karlhunt is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
gilvagor

Old March 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
yep. sometimes it's best to use the old hand weapon / shield instead of the spear. I do that if I need the skellies to hold up a unit for a turn or two.
gilvagor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote