Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Did you move the file into the data/d20 folder while HeroLab is active? If you placed the file there before opening HeroLab, you should see all of the new content.

Pressing ctrl-r while in Hero Lab (not while in the editor window) will quick-reload the data files. Selecting "Switch Game System" in the file menu and selecting the game you're already on will also work.

You may also want to look on the configure hero form (the one you see when you start a new hero, or select it from the character menu), click the clipboard icon there, and make sure that any new content you've added didn't come with a required setting. If it did have a setting, select that.
Mathias is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
DarokinB

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
That actually did it! Sweet thanks!

On a side note, i dont know if this is the right place to put it, but i am doing Book of Exalted Deeds right now, and am currently tackling Vow of Poverty, its going well, but im running into a weird error. When i try to do damage reduction and energy resistance, i use the scripts from the page such as:

~Add Energy Resistance 5
#applyresist[xDamRsAcid, 5]
#applyresist[xDamRsFire, 5]
#applyresist[xDamRsCold, 5]
#applyresist[xDamRsElec, 5]

~Add damage reduction of 5/Magic
#applydr[xDamRdMag, 5]

And both of these macros are returning "Non-Existant Pick" Were these macros not updated for a recent change? I cant seem to find the datastructure break down for DR and ER, can someone toss me a link?

Thanks again!
DarokinB is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
DarokinB

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Actually, I figured it out. The problem was that the character didn't have any damage reduction and damage resistance, and HL doesn't create those fields for everyone, until something creates it. I just bootstrapped in its creation, set its values to 0, and bam, worked!

Yeah!
DarokinB is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Which one worked?

You also need to bootstrap the damage resistance thing.

I suggest you go to the races tab in the editor, and press "New (Copy)", then open up a race that has some resistances. Aasimar for example. You'll see that the bootstraps button on the top right is highlighted because there are bootstraps. Click on that button, and you'll see where to add the xDamRsAcid thing, so that the macro has something to find.

For future reference, each game system has its own folder on this forum, which is the appropriate place to ask questions about how to create content for that game.
Mathias is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
When you say "at least most", can you tell me which spells are missing from the spell compendium files? I wrote those files and if you've noticed something lacking please tell me so I can update.
Lawful_g is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
DarokinB

Old December 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry to imply that i might have noticed anything is missing, that is definitely not the case. I have not gone through all the book to make sure that everything is there, so I didn't know if any were left out for whatever reason. It certainly had the ones I needed!

Thanks again for all your work, im sure it took a while!
DarokinB is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There might be a half-solution for this that is significantly better than no solution. We call it the "secondary updates" mechanism and it is intended for use by playtest groups using our products during game development. In the case of Hero Lab, it can just as easily be used for accessing the various user-created data files for d20.

For details on how it works, you'll need to refer to the Army Builder documentation, since it's not currently documented publicly for Hero Lab. To access it, install AB, then open the Authoring Kit documentation (it's all HTML files for AB). Go to the bottom of the main page and click on the "Design & Playtest Support" link. Read the sections on Playtest Distribution and Updates Configuration File.

If you set this up on the cheeseweasel site, then any interested user can add the URL you setup as their secondary updates URL. After that, everything is integrated into the HL updates logic and it's all being managed completely separate from anything we're involved with.

Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. I'll be happy to answer them.
I am trying to setup the above for my players that use HL and this Secondary URL feature seems just like the thing I need. I went over the documentation in AB and think I have it setup correctly, but I keep getting the following error from HL.
Unable to retrieve updates from secondary server. Please verify the URL is correct and try again.

Here is the URL I am trying to use:
http://www.shadowgameworld.net/pathf...ab/updates.xml

Going directly to the URL via a web browser seems to show it working correctly as the XML file is displayed. So I have to assume I did something else wrong in the XML file setup.

Any help would be welcome.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
The XML that you have looks correct, but it's being served as an HTML page with a "frame" directing the browser to the actual file, which lives here:

http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadow...ab/updates.xml

If you use that URL as the secondary updates URL, the updates are found as normal.
Colen is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
The XML that you have looks correct, but it's being served as an HTML page with a "frame" directing the browser to the actual file, which lives here:

http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadow...ab/updates.xml

If you use that URL as the secondary updates URL, the updates are found as normal.
Ahhh. Thanks that was the problem. It works perfectly now. This will make things so much easier for my players.

The more I find the more I like this tool....
ShadowChemosh is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
RedBeardSean

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:05 AM
WeasellyChief and ShadowyChemosh: the data file for the Dwarves no longer appears on the Cheese Weasel site.

I found a backup of the .user file, but thought I should let the two of you know.
RedBeardSean is offline   #30 Reply With Quote