Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bluephoenix

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
first time poster here, though I've been hanging around digging into things for a bit.

I've been making a pet project of adding a datafile for the Warmage base class from Complete arcane, and have run into a problem and a couple of questions.

first, the problem:
I can get the appropriate spells per day/known to show, but when i go to do the spells in a character using the class I have to manually add all the spells on the list to spells known, which at higher levels can get a bit ridiculous. is there a way to auto-add all spells of the available casting level to the "spells known" list? (for those not familiar with the class, its a spontaneous class with a set of predetermined spells to choose from, not chosen from a list as known or prepared)

secondly the questions:

the first question is similar to the problem, where I am having a difficult time coming up with a way to handle the advanced learning class feature, as well as handling the "ecclectic learning" class feature from PHB II

both of these allow the mage in question to chose spells outside the normal list, according to a specific set of criteria, but I cannot for the life of me figure out a decent way to handle it.

the final question/problem in the list is the handling of the armored mage class ability and the battlecaster feat from the same book

some of the above solutions probably require scripting, which I have yet to get a decent handle on. after I clean up the file a little I'll post it here for those that wish to use it / help fix the minor errors.
Bluephoenix is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Just an FYI but the Warmage class is already done and so is most of PHB2. See THIS thread for full details on how to get the community created data set that has dozens of the 3.5 books completed and ready for use.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bluephoenix

Old November 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
thanks for the fast response, I missed the all in one data set, and it seems to work brilliantly.

there is a bug in the class given in the combined data file: armored mage should increase to medium at 8th level, in the file it does not.

the one thing that is still missing is the alternate class feature of eclectic learning, which I find is used frequently when the option is available due to the increased flexibility it affords.
Bluephoenix is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old November 8th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to do it either, so I just defined it as class abilities where the user types in the name of each spell and then either creates those as warmage spells or just remembers they have them.

I'll take a look at the armored mage issue when I get home.
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Are you sure? My tests show that at 8th level, medium armor is not applying spell failure... I do notice something a little strange, the Armored Mage (Medium) ability is not being bootstrapped until the class hits 8th level, so it is not visible before then. Perhaps that is your confusion? In any case, it shouldn't matter, all the coding is done on the first Armored Mage class special, so whether the 2nd is present or not is immaterial.

Please double check that you are having the error by making an 8th level Warmage, equipping him with a medium armor, and then checking the spell failure. If it still is wrong, send me the portfolio, so I can fiddle and see for myself.
Lawful_g is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bluephoenix

Old November 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Are you sure? My tests show that at 8th level, medium armor is not applying spell failure... I do notice something a little strange, the Armored Mage (Medium) ability is not being bootstrapped until the class hits 8th level, so it is not visible before then. Perhaps that is your confusion? In any case, it shouldn't matter, all the coding is done on the first Armored Mage class special, so whether the 2nd is present or not is immaterial.

Please double check that you are having the error by making an 8th level Warmage, equipping him with a medium armor, and then checking the spell failure. If it still is wrong, send me the portfolio, so I can fiddle and see for myself.
you are correct, It is there, just not showing until 8th level (very odd)

a side note relating to the combined file:

I noticed that the prestige class coverage from races of the wild and complete mage is hit and miss, is this currently under works or are they simply being done as they pop up in use? if they're not under works then I wouldn't mind having a go at implementing them.
Bluephoenix is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluephoenix View Post
a side note relating to the combined file:

I noticed that the prestige class coverage from races of the wild and complete mage is hit and miss, is this currently under works or are they simply being done as they pop up in use? if they're not under works then I wouldn't mind having a go at implementing them.
Unfortunately every book has not been done 100% yet. Its a work in a progress with most of the work being done by a single guy(Lawful_g).

So if you find something missing and you wish to add it we would totally welcome it. See THIS thread and you can do a quick post saying you are going to do PrC A,b,c... Just so others know. Its not perfect way of handling this, but it works for now.

Make sure you don't modify the files directly from the data set as it will/can get over written with a new release. Instead create a new file. When you think its ready send it to me at ShadowChemosh(at)yahoo(dot)com and we will do a little testing and if all looks good we will get it merged into a release of the data set.

Thanks

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
thegreatslayer

Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hello, I was doing something similar with the feat/ class ability of advanced learning. I've actually got the ability to choose from a specific type of spell type (necromancy in the case for the dread necromancer)., but I've still have to restrict it to just wizard and cleric spell lists as well as the spell levels. If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

for the class special Under custom expression
component.BaseSpell & sSchool.Necromancy
Restrict all things
thegreatslayer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
thegreatslayer

Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
As a quick update:
This allowed me to restrict it to Wizard level 2 spells only. Now does anyone know how to do and/or so I can do multiple levels and classes. Then I just want to add the selected spell to the actual spell list.

component.BaseSpell & sClass.Wizard & sSchool.Necromancy & sLevel.2
thegreatslayer is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatslayer View Post
As a quick update:
This allowed me to restrict it to Wizard level 2 spells only. Now does anyone know how to do and/or so I can do multiple levels and classes. Then I just want to add the selected spell to the actual spell list.

component.BaseSpell & sClass.Wizard & sSchool.Necromancy & sLevel.2
I don't have it in front of me right now, but if you have the community set, take a look at the custom abilities of the Factotum from Dungeonscape. You may be able to draw some inspiration from there.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote