Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mystic Lemur

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:02 PM
So, I'd like to add a topic for the Forgotten Realms villainous organization known as the Zhentarim. Now, the Zhents are a large organization with their hands in a lot of pies. They control Zhentil Keep (government), they have a large military and have at times occupied other countries, they primarily serve Bane/Cyric/Xvim depending on the time period (Religious), they make quite a lot of money through trade (commerce), but are widely believed to be a bunch of criminals willing to do anything for money and power (a well deserved reputation).

And yet, putting them in as Group: Other just doesn't seem to do them justice. Any suggestions?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:09 PM
The Zhentarim can easily be set up as a government as well too. Or gang.. or something else too?? But you are not just limited to a group though.
Nikmal is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:10 PM
You're primary description of them is "the Forgotten Realms villainous organization". Based on that, I'd say "Criminal".
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Follow-up question. Is there an easy way to change the type of a topic? Say I go with Nikmal and set them up as a government, but then change my mind and agree with EightBitz. Can I change the topic itself, or do I have to make a new topic of the new type?

Edit: It's under "Topic Category" in the Content Pane Options menu (F7).

Last edited by Mystic Lemur; April 12th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Yes you can change the topic... the same way you created it you can change it. Going in to edit button will allow you to change it.
Nikmal is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Yes you can change the topic... the same way you created it you can change it. Going in to edit button will allow you to change it.
Thanks. I found it in the Content Pane options.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 12th, 2014, 07:55 PM
At one point, there was somewhat of a distinction between the various facets of "Zhentil Keep"... the Zhents, the Zhentilar, and so on.

There's no reason why you can't create multiple groups, one for each facet.. government, religious (Church of Bane/ Cyrix/ Xvim/ deity-of-the-month), criminal, and so on.. then set up relationships among them.. "Zhentil Keep" (Government) is in a Supervisor/Subordinate relationship with "Zentilar" (Criminal), for example.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 12th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
At one point, there was somewhat of a distinction between the various facets of "Zhentil Keep"... the Zhents, the Zhentilar, and so on.

There's no reason why you can't create multiple groups, one for each facet.. government, religious (Church of Bane/ Cyrix/ Xvim/ deity-of-the-month), criminal, and so on.. then set up relationships among them.. "Zhentil Keep" (Government) is in a Supervisor/Subordinate relationship with "Zentilar" (Criminal), for example.
I was thinking of that, too. I would do that if there were different factions of the same group. But if it's a unified group that's multi-faceted, I would only create one group.

Kind of like with religious groups in the real world. Even under a supposedly unified blanket of "Christian" or "Muslim", you have many different factions, some of which are peaceful, charitable and productive, and some of which ... aren't. You have some countries with theocracies, and you have the Vatican as its own independent state, which means these religious groups, in some fashion, have factions that are governments.

In a case like that, I would create a different group for each faction. But for some groups, Scientologists, for example, I would create one group. As far as I know, they don't have sects or factions. They have one, unified ... Church(?).
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 13th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Ooh. I like that. I'll just create one placeholder topic for now, and then branch out when I get to them in more detail. I just get so focused on doing things one way, that I forget there are all these interconnected ways of putting in the information.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I was thinking of that, too. I would do that if there were different factions of the same group. But if it's a unified group that's multi-faceted, I would only create one group.

Kind of like with religious groups in the real world. Even under a supposedly unified blanket of "Christian" or "Muslim", you have many different factions, some of which are peaceful, charitable and productive, and some of which ... aren't. You have some countries with theocracies, and you have the Vatican as its own independent state, which means these religious groups, in some fashion, have factions that are governments.

In a case like that, I would create a different group for each faction. But for some groups, Scientologists, for example, I would create one group. As far as I know, they don't have sects or factions. They have one, unified ... Church(?).
It is a preference type of thing, in the end.. whatever makes sense to the GM and the players is "right".

In this case, you could also create a "Zhenil Keep" as an "Other" type group, then create separate groups like "Zhentil Keep Miilitary", setting the "Zhentil Keep" topic as the Container.
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote