Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Rev Haus 235

Send a message via AIM to Rev Haus 235 Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Haus 235

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm playing in a setting that has firearms. As such, I am looking to add many firearms, as my character uses several different ones. There are two basic distinctions, Small Arms (being pistols) and Long Arms (being anything larger than a pistol).

They are still considered exotic weapon proficiencies to be proficient in them, so I will need to add a feat for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Small Arms. As i am using pistols, I can and do use one in each hand, thus I will also need to add a Two Pistol Fighting feat.

This is a lot to add, especially in something that is not very user friendly for folks like myself that aren't at all knowledgeable about coding, and I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get.

I've tried my hand at altering the Hand Crossbow into a pistol, it hasn't worked out so well. I didn't get very far, and have no idea how to make it work with the feats I need.

Thanks in advance for any and all your help.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
It's not clear to me what the exact problem is. It sounds like you want to have groupings of weapons, and then use feats to apply proficiency to all weapons within that group. That's actually not the way Exotic Weapon Prof usually works. Typically, taking this feat allows the use of one specific weapon. That said, if you want a feat to apply to group of weapons, you'll probably have to use a foreach loop that searches for weapons with a certain tag (in this case, you might consider making a user tag specific to your group of weapons) and applying proficiency for that weapon. For example, down near the bottom, just above "Sources" is a "User Tags" edit button. Click on that, select "New Tag" and enter something like "Pistol". This will add a tag called "User.Pistol" to the weapon which can be seen in the tags section in the upper right of the editor. Assign this tag to each gun that is a pistol. Then your foreach loop can look for any weapon with that tag and assign proficiency for it.

The loop might look something like this:

Code:
      foreach pick in hero where "component.BaseWep & User.Pistol"
        perform eachpick.assign[Broadcast.WepProf]
        nexteach
Of course, the downside to this is that the proficiency isn't applied until the weapon is already chosen. This is just off the top of my head, though, so maybe someone else has a better way to handle it.

Last edited by Sendric; June 12th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 12th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, the way the game setting has it set up, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Smalls Arms (which actually covers proficiency for all fire arms, both pistols and rifles), would allow a character to be proficient in the use of any number of different kinds of pistols and/or rifles. Basically Small Arms are hand held guns, not Cannons or the like.

My problems are:
1) I need help adding "Small Arms" to the choices for feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency,
2) I need help making a feat for Two Pistol Fighting (like Two Weapon Fighting)

So far, adding in the different weapons seems to be going pretty good, though I don't have the feats in place to know if they will all work together.

Last edited by Rev Haus 235; June 12th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
For the small arms, you are going to have to make a user tag, as Sendric suggested. So, for each small arm that you create in the Weapons editor, you want to add a user tag (the same one). Go down to the bottom of the Weapons editor on one of the weapons you created, and add a tag called SmallArms (don't worry about the name and abbreviation fields, unless you really want to). Now this tag shows up on that weapon. Save and test. Do this for each weapon you created, but you don't have to recreate the tag for each weapon, it should now be in your list of User Tags and you can just select it from the list.

The next step is to create a new weapon called Small Arms that is also an exotic weapon. That will make it selectable as an exotic weapon. Add Sendric's script from above and that should do the trick. This is just off the top of my head, so hopefully I haven't missed anything.

Rinse and repeat for Long Arms.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
For the Two Pistol Fighting, you'll have to script the bonuses. Again, this could be done with a foreach and I would suggest using the same user tag you assigned to your small arms weapons, so something like this:

Code:
foreach pick in hero where "component.BaseWep & User.SmallArms & Hero.EquipMain"
      eachpick.field[wAttack].value += 2

foreach pick in hero where "component.BaseWep & User.SmallArms & Hero.EquipOff]"
      eachpick.field[wAttack].value += 6
I haven't tested this code, so you may have to tweak it. Or someone could have a more efficient way of doing it.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I couldn't even begin to know if the code is right or not, or how to tweak it if it needed it. I know exactly nothing about coding.

Frankly that's one of my biggest complaints, and makes me regret buying the product over all. My friends that I game with who also bought the program pretty much feel the same way, and a couple of them are in IT work for a living. The customization part of this is not designed or built for gamers, but for gamers who are also code programmers. It's VERY disappointing, and makes me feel like I wasted my money, since I don't play a straight forward d20 game, and for that matter, who does? It seems to me that the customization part should have been one of the easiest things to work with, considering most every gamers is going to be more creative than to use just the "standard' or supplied materials.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I'm not a programmer at all. Unless you count html, and even then I'm hardly a wizard. The editor is a bit tough to wrap your head around, but for the most part I like it quite a bit. Maybe that's just a personal preference, though.

Also, I just checked and my code definitely doesn't work. I'll take another stab at it, but I may not have something for you until tomorrow as my time here is coming to end for the day. Maybe someone smarter than me can have something sooner.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Haus 235 View Post
I couldn't even begin to know if the code is right or not, or how to tweak it if it needed it. I know exactly nothing about coding.

Frankly that's one of my biggest complaints, and makes me regret buying the product over all. My friends that I game with who also bought the program pretty much feel the same way, and a couple of them are in IT work for a living. The customization part of this is not designed or built for gamers, but for gamers who are also code programmers. It's VERY disappointing, and makes me feel like I wasted my money, since I don't play a straight forward d20 game, and for that matter, who does? It seems to me that the customization part should have been one of the easiest things to work with, considering most every gamers is going to be more creative than to use just the "standard' or supplied materials.
I'm sorry to hear that, and while I agree there is some learning curve (D&D is a very complex system, after all), I wouldn't say the customization is only for people who are programmers by trade. Many people, including myself, learned how to use it by looking at examples of what exists in the program and asking on the boards here for help (which I am sure you already see there are many resources available). I've 0 formal training in programming, and yet I've learned well enough to actually be hired on by Lone Wolf. If I can do it, anyone can, so I encourage you to keep at it!
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Another way to approach it would be to make the pistols light weapons, then do a foreach through the equipped weapons, and if they are all pistols, apply the Two Weapon Fighting tag to the hero (the same added by the normal two weapon fighting feat).
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Well, I've got a weapon made for Small Arms, and it shows up in the Exotic Weapon Proficiency drop down menu. Go us, thanks for the help on that.
I still can't get a specific weapon to show that I am proficient with it though. I guess I must have screwed up the custom tag part or the script part some where along the line. So I will now be trying to figure that out.

As for the learning curve, its not D&D that's a problem, I've been playing that since Advanced Dungeons and Dragons v2.0 lol. The issues I have are the coding and working within this program's tool set. I agree, this message board has given me a great deal of help, and I even managed to finally get the custom race to work the way I wanted it to to reflect a human variant from this same game setting all because of the help I got on here. I do keep plugging away at it, that doesn't make it any less frustrating, and it doesn't change my feelings that it could be a lot more user friendly. At this point, I spent the money, and I'm fighting through it. "Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson. ;-)

Again, I am VERY grateful for ALL of the help that I have gotten.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote