Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Enhanced Summoning (Ex): At 1st level, a conjurer using this variant gains the Augmented Summoning feat for free instead of the Scribe Scroll feat.

The Conjurer - Enhanced Summoning class variant has an error. It is not removing the Scribe Scroll feat and the Augment Summoning feat that is added calls an error because it lacks the pre requisites.... Couldn't it be assigned an ignore pre-req tag?

Also, I have noticed that none of the class variants have anything to display what they do. Shouldn't there be a special or something to give details to players who want to look it up?
Lawful_g is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Another issue I have noticed. I created a variant Cleric Class that gives up a domain for a bonus Domain Feat (see complete champion feats chapter). I entered everything in for one less domain and one greater bonus feat (limiting it to Domain feats of course). It seems to be working except for the display, I get an error when I exceed the new limit for domains, and the system tells me I have to choose my bonus feat. However, there is no button to click on and select the bonus feat, so I can't fullfill the error message!
Lawful_g is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Enhanced Summoning (Ex): At 1st level, a conjurer using this variant gains the Augmented Summoning feat for free instead of the Scribe Scroll feat.

The Conjurer - Enhanced Summoning class variant has an error. It is not removing the Scribe Scroll feat and the Augment Summoning feat that is added calls an error because it lacks the pre requisites.... Couldn't it be assigned an ignore pre-req tag?
The scribe scroll feat isn't apparently being disabled like it should be - I'll investigate that.

There are other places in the same section (Bear totem barbarian, pg 48), where a bonus feat is specifically designated as ignoring prereqs. Although I agree that it ought to ignore prereqs, I have to go with a strict reading.

Quote:
Also, I have noticed that none of the class variants have anything to display what they do. Shouldn't there be a special or something to give details to players who want to look it up?
There wasn't enough time to add descriptions. I'll get to that at some point.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Another issue I have noticed. I created a variant Cleric Class that gives up a domain for a bonus Domain Feat (see complete champion feats chapter). I entered everything in for one less domain and one greater bonus feat (limiting it to Domain feats of course). It seems to be working except for the display, I get an error when I exceed the new limit for domains, and the system tells me I have to choose my bonus feat. However, there is no button to click on and select the bonus feat, so I can't fullfill the error message!
Existing classes that don't have bonus feats already don't have a table for the selection of bonus feats. Until I have time to modify most of the existing class panels, bonus feats can't be added to a class that doen't already have them. Sorry.

In the meantime, you could either create a new class that incorporates your variant - adding the option for bonus feats to a new version of the cleric class in the editor will add a table for them (since it will generate a new generic class panel). The other option would be to add one extra general feat to the character, then put an eval rule on your variant class to require that the character have at least one domain feat (the eval rule will only become active once the variant is added - not during selection, so you won't have to select it until you have the extra feat slot available).
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
The scribe scroll feat isn't apparently being disabled like it should be - I'll investigate that.

There are other places in the same section (Bear totem barbarian, pg 48), where a bonus feat is specifically designated as ignoring prereqs. Although I agree that it ought to ignore prereqs, I have to go with a strict reading.

There wasn't enough time to add descriptions. I'll get to that at some point.
So that means you won't be adding a tag to ignore pre-reqs? Does not a specific feat assigned as a bonus automatically imply getting it without pre-requisites? If lacking Spell focus (Conjuration) prevents me from getting the bonus, is it really a bonus?

K. Thanks for all your effort mghel, I can wait till you get around to the descriptions.
Lawful_g is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Existing classes that don't have bonus feats already don't have a table for the selection of bonus feats. Until I have time to modify most of the existing class panels, bonus feats can't be added to a class that doen't already have them. Sorry.

In the meantime, you could either create a new class that incorporates your variant - adding the option for bonus feats to a new version of the cleric class in the editor will add a table for them (since it will generate a new generic class panel). The other option would be to add one extra general feat to the character, then put an eval rule on your variant class to require that the character have at least one domain feat (the eval rule will only become active once the variant is added - not during selection, so you won't have to select it until you have the extra feat slot available).
Again, I can wait until you fix this. Thanks
Lawful_g is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Quote:
So that means you won't be adding a tag to ignore pre-reqs? Does not a specific feat assigned as a bonus automatically imply getting it without pre-requisites? If lacking Spell focus (Conjuration) prevents me from getting the bonus, is it really a bonus?
I have never come across anything in the d20 rules that says that all bonus feats ignore prereqs. The HeroLab files have to go with a strict reading of the rules.

If you want it to work differently in your campaign, make a replacement copy of the class special that grants the feat, go into the "Bootstraps" menu, and press "Tags". There, enter "thing" as the group, and "skipprereq" as the Tag ID. Once that's incorporated, your version will ignore prereqs.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Fair enough. While I don't think there is any such rule spelled out, to my general recollection classes that give specific bonus feats at specific levels (like ranger, monk and some prestige classes) tend to ignore pre-requisites, while those that give bonus feats selected from a list (like fighter, wizard and other prestige classes) tend to require the pre-requisites be met.

Anyhow, I'll do as you suggest, modifying and replacing. Thanks for the pointer!
Lawful_g is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
I've noticed another small error in the files. The Item power Anarchic is being calculated and listed as equivalent to +4, however the description correctly identifies that it should be +2, just like Holy, Unholy, and Axiomatic.
Lawful_g is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Quote:
I've noticed another small error in the files. The Item power Anarchic is being calculated and listed as equivalent to +4, however the description correctly identifies that it should be +2, just like Holy, Unholy, and Axiomatic.
Thanks for the report. This will be fixed in the next update.

BTW, I'd personally prefer not to see unrelated bug reports in the same thread, unless it's a thread specifically for minor bug reports. It's easier to remember which threads are done and which you still have to get back to that way.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote