Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Frodie

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I am working on the vehicles in the Modern files. Vehicles are just normal gear items. I would like to add modifiable values to each of them, (like hardness, AC, HP, speed etc). I know there are a few old threads on this, but I am not sure the best way to enable this.

My first thought, is there a way to add a modifiable value to the Description text. I know we can get an ability to appear (like the race special "Hardness") by using Append Reference Information, but not the value within the Description text.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this, or just not even worry about it. I am thinking that sometime in the future that the Pathfinder set will move to HLO and there might be better tools to handle vehicles there.

Last edited by Frodie; November 14th, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Frodie is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:36 AM
On our own "wouldn't that be great" to-do list is to make various types of vehicles into separate characters, so that their stats could properly be tracked in combat, if you want to try to break your enemy's vehicle.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I can't think of many things you could do that aren't complete hacks, to get vehicles to be their own characters without modifications that a user can't do. I'd just handle these vehicles the same way the existing vehicles in HL are handled - by putting the statblock in the description text, and not trying to use a separate minion.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Ok, NP. I'll just leave them be. Thank you for the input.
Frodie is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 14th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Just a thought, I wonder if using a confi might work. Something like, choose your vehicle and have class abilities assigned to the config for AC, Hardness etc, that are modified by what vehicle is chosen.

Or maybe I should stop going down this rabbit hole, lol.
Frodie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 14th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I guess that would work, but it would mean you're going to have a new tab for each vehicle a character has, which could clutter things up. Also, you'd have to make sure none of the sub-abilities got onto the printed character sheet or statblock
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 14th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Yea, that could be way too many tabs and other craziness that could go on. Alright, time to just leave it alone. Thanks for the feedback!
Frodie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 20th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Well, I took another look at it, (I know, I should just leave it alone), but I think I found something.

I made an ability call Vehicle AC (just to test) and bootstrapped it to the vehicle and then scripted at final 10000

field[DescAppend].text = hero.childfound[abMHVehiAC].field[name].text & " +" & "(" & hero.childfound[abMHVehiAC].field[abValue].value & ")"

And it worked!
So I think that might be a way to add hardness, AC, etc. I used the tracker for the vehicles HP. So yea, it might work.

The only issue I see now if you have multiple vehicles and you have something that adjust the AC bonus, it would adjust it to all of them. So I need to figure that out and this might work!
Frodie is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Well, I have been messing with it all morning and I think (for real this time), to let it go. It kind of works, but when you get multiple vehicles, it just too crazy to modify only one AC and not all of them.
I think it's because the ability is showing up on the hero and not the item. I did try the various Item powers, but they didn't seem to like being bootstrapped to a gear.
Anyways, going to step away from it.
Frodie is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 21st, 2017, 05:46 AM
Oh I couldn't stand it, and took another crack at it, lol. Almost there. I am using the tracker for hit points (works great). Then I just need an AC and Hardness score. So I thought I would be smart and use the "actUser" values. AC for the min and Hardness for the Max. Works fine, but min will not show up on the description. I attached a pic here. Any ideas on how to get the min value to appear?

Final 10000
field[DescAppend].text = field[actName].text & " " & "(" & field[actUserMin].value & ")"

field[DescAppend].text = field[actName2].text & " " & "(" & field[actUserMax].value & ")"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (264.0 KB, 3 views)
Frodie is offline   #10 Reply With Quote