Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Darq

Old December 1st, 2013, 07:31 AM
I have a Racial Property that allows the user to start STR, AGI or VIG at d6. I bootstrapped an edge tot he racial attribute - because edges seem to be the place to manage the drop down pick (correct me if I'm barking up the wrong deciduform).

I am pretty sure I have the rest of the example taken care of using this example

Quote:
To create a drop-down "pick list", let's say to apply a +1 roll bonus to one of three skills (the Scholar Edge is another example worth looking at):

Menu #1 Source: All Picks on Hero (this will make sure you don't get an error for trying to modify a skill that doesn't exist on the character)
Menu #1 Tag Expression: thingid.skBoating | thingid.skDriving | thingid.skPiloting
Eval Scripts: Pre-Traits/5000 - Before: Calc trtFinal

Code:
~apply the +1 modifier to selected skill
if (field[usrChosen1].ischosen <> 0) then
perform field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[trtRoll].modify[+,1,"Ordo Novus Templum"]
endif
-----
I know this is appropriate for a skill adjust:
Quote:
perform field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[trtRoll].modify[+,1,"Ordo Novus Templum"]
I know this is the script I want to use to adjust the starting attr:
#traitcreation[attrAgi] += 2

But I can't figure out how to plug in the selected attribute.

This is my latest try:
#traitcreation[usrChosen1.chosen] += 2
Darq is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:35 PM
The items that start with a # are macros (so #traitcreation is a shorthand for doing something more). In this case I don't think you can use a macro with a pick field. I'd have to play around to give you the exact syntax, though, and I'll try to look at that for you tomorrow.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you!
Darq is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
Appreciate your help - if you happen to know how, I want to do the same thing with an edge (Let the user select one of three edges and assign the edge to the character)
Darq is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
Oh, duh, you don't have to change anything. Use the exact same perform line (although rename the part in quotes to the name of your Edge and change the 1 to a 2) but everything works just fine as is. Obviously you'd need to change your "Menu #1 Tag Expression:" line from skill to the attributes instead, so something like "thingid.attrAgi | thingid.attrStr | thingid.attrVig" and it works fine.

For Edges that would require what we call a "conditional Bootstrap" and there just is no really good way to do that. You can sort of get around it by using Factions if you need to, or just create multiple versions of the thing for each Edge you need. An example of the latter is how the Half-Efl race has two versions, Half-Elven (Agile)" and "Half-Elven (Edge)", so that's the method I tend to use. If you really need to have an ability to pick it, let me know and I'll try to deconstruct some of the ways folks have done it before. It's a bit convoluted, though, if I remember correctly.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM
::bows to zarlor's excellent advice::

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks Zarlor, the attribute pick works great - now my Skill pick isn't working.
Edge Military Training lets you choose d6 Fighting or Shooting skill. There IS a drop down when you get the edge, but inside it says "No Selections Available"
Menu 1 Source: All things on hero
Menu 1 tag expression: thingid.skShooting | thingid.skFighting

It occurs to me - Is this because the character doesn't HAVE the skill associated to it yet? Indeed! That adds the values to the drop down if I change Source to "All things". Ok Im on the right track now

Ok So I am guessing I test to see if the char has the value passed back, If so I increment it, If not I need to add it and increment it and maybe offset the cost?

Last edited by Darq; December 4th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Darq is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Darq

Old December 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Is there a way to programmatically bootstrap a skill? If the character deosn't have the skill picked, I need to add it.
Darq is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 6th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Eww... that's getting into the whole conditional Bootstrapping thing. The easiest way around it is to just make 2 different versions, "Military Training (Shooting)" and "Military Training (Fighting)". You could, however, ask on the " What changes/enhancements would you like to see?" thread about getting a way to do conditional bootstraps into Hero Lab. It might be helpful if someone else other than me asked for it, after all. The more the merrier. (and the more likely LoneWolf would be to move it up on their priority list for things to add, eventually.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually

Last edited by zarlor; December 6th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Eww... that's getting into the whole conditional Bootstrapping thing. The easiest way around it is to just make 2 different versions, "Military Training (Shooting)" and "Military Training (Fighting)". You could, however, ask on the " What changes/enhancements would you like to see?" thread about getting a way to do conditional bootstraps into Hero Lab. It might be helpful if someone else other than me asked for it, after all. The more the merrier. (and the more likely LoneWolf would be to move it up on their priority list for things to add, eventually.)
The existing method for conditional bootstraps is not well documented, but it's there. Are you asking for a better explanation of how to use it, and an easier-to-find method for controlling them in the editor?
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote