Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Ambush

Old September 11th, 2019, 01:36 PM
What branch should I be using for my changes? Currently I'm on master, but I don't know if that's the right one or if I should be switching to the origin/MTOF-Rances branch?

Who is setting the standards for the Racial Abilities and what are they? I'm seeing a lot of duplicated abilities, which I'm not a huge fan of, but also some are set up to share the same abilities.

What are the steps (if any) after I've committed my changes? Sorry if it's somewhere in the community thread, but that's gotten a bit...lengthy.

I have more questions, but they may get answered by some of the above (or at least allow me to figure out the answers).

DM, exRealmWorker, Character Sheet Hacker, Gamer
Ambush is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:37 AM
I'm hoping daplunk will jump in and correct/update me on the current standards but here is my $0.02.

1. What branch. The branch you should use is one you create for yourself. When you click the dropdown for branches you can create your branch off the master. It is recommended that you name your branch username-MMDDYYYY-ISSUE# so that people can see who created the branch, when they did it, and what issue # they were working on. Obviously not everyone seems to do that right now, seems they name it after the project they are working on.

For the big projects I'm not 100% sure if everyone should be uploading into the same repository. Regardless, you probably shouldn't touch the master branch until you merge your changes in when you are done on your branch.

2. Standards. The only standards I'm aware of are with the ID- ra5CXXXAbiNm where XXX was the abbreviation for the source (like COS for curse of strahd) and the AbiNm was a condensed version of the name. I've not seen a standard script recommendation guide for leaving abText for alternate name or abValue1 for scripted values but given the number of abilities that could be shared if they followed the scripting in an ability like Magic Resistance it might make sense to document that somewhere.

As far as the ID goes, past stuff was limited by the length of the ID being restricted to a very short length. Since an update sometime last year this length increased but I would stick with at least doing the ra5CXXX portion to show what source the material came from and not use the maximum length in case this changes again.

3. I think there is more info in the github "wiki" about merging your changes in. You do a pull request, review that there aren't any conflicts and commit to master if you're feeling brave or asking someone else to finish the merge if you don't know what you're doing. After the merge completes or is completed, you can delete your branch and start a new one for a new issue.

Hope some of that helps.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old September 12th, 2019, 07:40 AM
1. Dungeonguru kinda covered this.

2. So here's where it's complicated. As you noted, a lot of abilities are set up for use by multiple monsters. I went through earlier this year and tried to identify all duplicate abilities across the then-released content and create modular abilities for each of them.

Here's how they work: you create the ability like any other. Then, you add an eval script to it. Take a look at Air Form starting on line 205 of the PotA monster file. It uses tags called "abText" and "abText2" to define variables that will be specific to your monster. See the eval script for how to include them.

Then you make your monster. From the monster screen, you bootstrap the ability to the monster. Let's call our new monster John Airguy, and let's say he has Air Form. I'd bootstrap that version of Air Form. Then, still on the bootstrap window, I'd set new tags. I'd set abText to be "John Airguy" and abText2 to be "He".

When HeroLab pulls it all together, it's going to run the eval script on the ability. It will see that when bootstrapped to John, abText and abText2 should equal what we set it. It then inserts our John-specific text into the description.

I have very shoddy documentation of all the abilities I made like this, what ones already existed, and what files they're each in. I need to upload that, and I'll let you know when I do.

3. Upload Instructions

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote