Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JackOfAllGames

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:38 PM
EDIT: It looks like I'm on the way to getting this working myself. I've updated this post with what I've found so far in case it helps anyone else.

----------------------------

Hello, all! I'm a newbie around here. I'm just trying out Hero Lab as an alternative to the DDI character builder and hedge against it possibly shutting down someday.

Anyway, I downloaded the program, found that it (understandably) doesn't come with the DDI data already packed in, and started up the downloader. The downloader warned that this process could take 3-4 hours. It's 24 hours later and I have a screen full of exclamation marks (and still counting).

My questions then are as follows:
  1. Q: What is the significance of the exclamation marks? Are they some sort of progress meter or an indication of a problem?
    A: It looks like they are a progress meter and do indicate a problem. If you're seeing dots/periods, that's good. Exclamation marks are bad.
  2. Q: Is it SUPPOSED to take this long?
    A: Looks like the answer is, "No." It finished in around 7-9 hours. A bit longer than expected, but nowhere near the amount of time it had been taking.
  3. Q: Is the download safe to interrupt? (Will it resume downloading from where it left off?)
    A: Apparently not. The downloader just started over from the beginning.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; April 3rd, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
[Deleted - No longer necessary.]

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; February 4th, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Sigh.
Still running. Checking the output.txt file, I'm getting a ton of:
Quote:
Downloading [Insert URL here.]
Subscribe page encountered unexpectedly.
!Retry...
Repeat that 3 times and then start a new URL. That's what I'm getting...and it looks like it's doing that to every URL.

EDIT: I stopped the download on my primary PC and I'm now trying it on my secondary PC. It looks like it may working now. On the second PC (which has similar specs, same OS, etc.) I tried doing the non-subscriber download first. The software loaded and worked with it. I was just missing all the detailed information (as expected). Then I tried the subscriber download again. Now I'm getting results! Hopefully this will just work now. If this does work, I'll try playing with the primary PC again and post my results.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; February 4th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #3 Reply With Quote