Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 6th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Part of the reason would likely be that Paizo often takes entries from the Module bestiaries and adds them to the next incarnation of the Bestiary line of books. I noticed that with Bestiary 2 especially, there was a high presence of monsters from modules. Not complaining about it, as the monsters are good but it was something i observed.
RavenX is offline   #111 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old September 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris.Crenshaw View Post
For the Moit of Shub-Niggurath, my suggestion would be to add the information about the Slugspawn into the creature's description block.
Thanks. I will add that and resend the file to ShadowChemosh
Umarian is offline   #112 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So small piece of advice is to double check what is already available on d20pfsrd. When posting bodrin's Council of Thieves I noticed that it is a pretty heavy duplicate to what was already posted by Nikmal back in February.
Yep I noticed that too after entering all the entries from the first part of CoT. However after spending the time inputting the data I couldn't bear too delete the files!

I'm gradually chipping away at the six fold trial beastiary entries, now unless someone has already done the leg work on these I'll continue!
bodrin is offline   #113 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Thanks, Umarian

For the Moit of Shub-Niggurath, my suggestion would be to add the information about the Slugspawn into the creature's description block.

Another possibility would be to add it as either a template or as an adjustment that can be added to a character, but the simplest way to handle it is through the text description.
Having looked at the Slugspawn entry I think I'd add it as a modified slug creature : Aberration, 10' move, Stealth 16. Just a thought!
bodrin is offline   #114 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry about the confusion with duplicate monsters. When I made my list of creatures that needed to be entered, I only looked at the ones that had been added by data sets produced by LWD. I have purchased all the data sets and had the latest updates at the time, so I just went through the list of available races and searched for each monster. I added creatures to the list if they were not already in the "official" data sources.

I did not, however, look at the community-produced materials to see if they were already out there. It would have been very challenging for me to capture all of that data, I think.

One thing that I was trying to do was consolidate the information. For example, I provided a single .user file and a single .stock file for the bestiary entries for every issue of "Rise of the Runelords". That isn't necessarily how everyone has to do it, but it seemed to make the most sense to me.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's an easy way to consolidate information from multiple .user files? What happens if I'd like to take all the data from Umarian's separate files and combine them into one .user file? I know I could just start a blank .user file and copy in data from multiple sources, but is there a faster/easier way to do it?
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #115 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Speaking of which, I wonder if there's an easy way to consolidate information from multiple .user files? What happens if I'd like to take all the data from Umarian's separate files and combine them into one .user file? I know I could just start a blank .user file and copy in data from multiple sources, but is there a faster/easier way to do it?
Yes there is, create blank user file and save it, then open a text editor with blank file, then open another instance with any of the user files that contain the data you want to merge, copy all the data between then header and footer code paste it between the header and footer code in your blank file, rinse and repeat for each file you want to merge append it to the end of your new code block before the footer code.

This is how I compiled a number of my individual files into one dataset!
bodrin is offline   #116 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
I did not, however, look at the community-produced materials to see if they were already out there. It would have been very challenging for me to capture all of that data, I think.
I agree some what. The Adventure Path files are sorted under the same folder and not that many of them to look at quickly in the idea of which books may have already been done. So like bodrin said if nothing for Six Folds Trial nothing to worry about.

For RotRL there is allot more out there actually. What really should happen, and understand its time consuming, is to combine the separate stuff into one big RotRL. Which means removing any duplicate work and leaving it with just the best version of any duplicates.

This is actually on my to-do list but man its a little daunting for the time it will take. There is a new feature in 3.8a that I really want to use that will make this better so I may wait until that is done before tackling this. In the end I would like one single ".hl" file that correctly imports all things into HL and into the right places. Plus would like to rename the files to actually be more standard.
Quote:
One thing that I was trying to do was consolidate the information. For example, I provided a single .user file and a single .stock file for the bestiary entries for every issue of "Rise of the Runelords". That isn't necessarily how everyone has to do it, but it seemed to make the most sense to me.
I saw that and I am not really sure on the single .stock file. Its sort of an area I don't use HL for much. So is a single .stock file better to do the import from or is it better to simply import the individual .por files instead? If it was single .por files we will be able to break them down by sub-folders location for each RotRL Chapter? So we could have "Portfolios\RotRL\Chapter 1\*.por"

Or is it better to do import from a single .stock file? Like I said it is not an area of HL I use allot so not really sure.
Quote:
You can use Note Pad, I prefer TextPad actually, to open up the .user files and you want to copy everything from after the
Code:
<document signature="Hero Lab Data">
to
Code:
</document>
And then paste into the other .user file before the
Code:
</document>
That is the quickest way I can think of to combine the two together.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #117 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Quick update I posted Umarian's Chapter 4 Bestiary zip file for Carrion Crown. I need to still help him with a Skeleton template to finish out Chapter 3.

Joey Virtue sent me an updated list of all monsters in Second Darkness but appears to have left out his .user files. So waiting on that until I post.

Did anyone else send any I have missed posting? Been not feeling well and feel I some how lost an email. So if so sorry and just let me know.

Thanks

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #118 Reply With Quote
TemporalVengeance

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:04 AM
There's a chance some of them will also be in Bestiary 3 when it comes out.
TemporalVengeance is offline   #119 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I've finished the Bestiary for Council of Thieves - The Six Fold Trial just entering the Npcs now hopefully it'll be completed by the weekend!
bodrin is offline   #120 Reply With Quote