Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

alientude

Old April 4th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
HeroLab is free too? I know no one that plays PF that doesn't own something. I am sure they exist, but they are not on the LWD forums.
You said PF is not the hobby for you if you can't afford $25/year. Nothing about PF requires HL.

Go ahead and keep condescending to people who think paying $25/year for access to features they don't want and have no use for is a bad idea. The fact that you have use for those features clearly makes you a superior person.
alientude is offline   #271 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 4th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to bring some logic to the discussion. Everyone in all variations of this type of conversation regardless of which company and tool it is always gets angry at the software developer. But they aren't in control of the situation. The RPG industry is designed around the licensing model and the people wanting to play in this market need to adhere to those licensing agreements.

And I agree, HLO is not going to offer value for everyone. But quite simply there is a larger portion of the market out there that they are trying to appeal to. That is a sound and logical business move.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #272 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 4th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
The fact that you have use for those features clearly makes you a superior person.
Yes it does, I am glad you agree.
Toblakai is offline   #273 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old April 4th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Nope don't see this. People are complaining about the $25/year and at the same time bragging about owning all the HLC PF content. There is a disconnect there.
I agree there is a disconnect. I do not care if it is $0.25 or $25,000. I was not bragging, but stating that MANY LWD customers have purchased a lot of data sets over the last eight years. I am actually counting on LWD being an integral part of my gaming table ten years from now. I have not questioned the value of paying 34.99 for the core rulebook. I have questioned the 2 dollars a month. I have asked the simple question of "What intrinsic value do we as customers get for $24.00 a year?". I was hoping to instigate actual dialogue where my concerns were addressed. Instead i have received insults.

Rob I do not know you well but we have meet more than once. I have always felt you are a stand up guy. Can you please explain what value I as your customer will receive for my subscription fee. I have explained that to me if it is a "paygate" to access content I have bought, that that feels morally corrupt. I am hopping there is a better explanation.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #274 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 4th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
Rob I do not know you well but we have meet more than once. I have always felt you are a stand up guy. Can you please explain what value I as your customer will receive for my subscription fee. I have explained that to me if it is a "paygate" to access content I have bought, that that feels morally corrupt. I am hopping there is a better explanation.
The money is to keep the servers running they don't pay for themselves, and they need to keep running even after the game system is deprecated (I am looking at you PF).

HLO benefits (some items are coming soon.. there is a not so great track record here though):

Sharing portfolios during game play, this will allow buffs/debuffs to be applied and updated for all at the same time. I use the tactical console and would really like this now!
Shared loot and equipment tracking.
Shared starships.
View multiple characters in different tabs. The current system in HLC is a bit clunky and slow.
Play anywhere on any device
More I can't think of right now (read other threads for this).

UI customization is also A LOT easier so things like selecting multiple characters and applying a buff/debuff to them at the same time is more likely.
Toblakai is offline   #275 Reply With Quote
Weissrolf

Old April 4th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Is there a game-master tier subscription that allows a GM to share with players who did not subscribe?

What happens exactly to your account when subscription runs out? I read that you can "get your character out". Does that mean printing or exporting? Are any other functions available?

Are any of these money/account related questions answered in an easy to find manner on the web-page, or are possible (if available) answers hidden somewhere deep in one of the ongoing forum threads?

Why is the "Hero Lab Online and Starfinder Q&A" thread not placed in the "Hero Lab Online" sub-forum, but in the "Hero Lab" (Classic) one?

Why is the "Hero Lab Online FAQ" thread not places in the "Hero Lab Online" sub-forum, but in the "Hero Lab" (Classic) one? And why do I first have to find that thread in order to find the official FAQ?

Why is Hero Lab Online not listed under "Products" or "Support" on the main web-site? Is it still in Beta?

Last edited by Weissrolf; April 5th, 2018 at 12:11 AM.
Weissrolf is offline   #276 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 9th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Nope don't see this. People are complaining about the $25/year and at the same time bragging about owning all the HLC PF content. There is a disconnect there.
There is no disconnect. There are various considerations.

When I'm earning a paycheck, I can usually afford to buy some data packages here and there and slowly build my catalog. But I can also choose when to do that. It's not an obligation. If money is tight one month, due to unexpected car repairs or medical expenses or whatever, I can pass on spending anything on entertainment, and I lose no access to what I've already purchased.

When I'm not earning a paycheck, things are tight EVERY month. The only money I spend on entertainment, I spend to keep my sanity. What I choose not to spend, I lose no access to what I've already purchased.

With HLO, you are obliged to spend money, whether it's tight or not, or you lose access to what you've already purchased.
EightBitz is offline   #277 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 9th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
There is no disconnect. There are various considerations.

When I'm earning a paycheck, I can usually afford to buy some data packages here and there and slowly build my catalog. But I can also choose when to do that. It's not an obligation. If money is tight one month, due to unexpected car repairs or medical expenses or whatever, I can pass on spending anything on entertainment, and I lose no access to what I've already purchased.

When I'm not earning a paycheck, things are tight EVERY month. The only money I spend on entertainment, I spend to keep my sanity. What I choose not to spend, I lose no access to what I've already purchased.

With HLO, you are obliged to spend money, whether it's tight or not, or you lose access to what you've already purchased.
I understand this, but some of the people complaining also don't seem to have a problem affording $25/yr. Unfortunately for the people that can't afford it, they will have to live with pcgen for starfinder or wait until they decide to port it to HLC.

I am really looking forward to the features that an online tool can do that a desktop one can't and for Pathfinder to be released for it. I haven't bought HLO because I don't play Starfinder yet (have about 6 PF adventure paths i am in the middle of that I need to finish first).

Tech moves at a fast pace and LWD needs to keep up or lose ground.
Toblakai is offline   #278 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 9th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Quote:
I understand this, but some of the people complaining also don't seem to have a problem affording $25/yr. Unfortunately for the people that can't afford it, they will have to live with pcgen for starfinder or wait until they decide to port it to HLC.

I am really looking forward to the features that an online tool can do that a desktop one can't and for Pathfinder to be released for it. I haven't bought HLO because I don't play Starfinder yet (have about 6 PF adventure paths i am in the middle of that I need to finish first).

Tech moves at a fast pace and LWD needs to keep up or lose ground.
Another factor, for me personally, is subscription fatigue. When I'm earning a decent paycheck, I don't mind paying for a subscription or two. But when they start adding up, even if the money isn't an issue, the number of subscriptions I have to track and manage starts becoming an issue. And based on that, I'll start setting priorities, and paring down on the lower priority subscriptions, regardless of how low the cost might be.

Spotify
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Antivirus
Hulu
MS Office
Roll20

If it's beneficial to my job, I might also subscribe to:
Microsoft Azure
Office 365 for Small Businesses
Certain other professional sites for research, collaboration and ongoing training and education.

It starts to get ridiculous after a while.
EightBitz is offline   #279 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old April 13th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I am curious as to exactly what feature Hero Lab Classic is missing that you believe Hero Lab Online will mystically manifest.
Dervish is offline   #280 Reply With Quote